DJI with Kontronik Kobe

PapaRomeo

I have 6 Kontronik Kobe 40LV escs. The best money can buy...

But DJI is not starting the motors properly. Only some of them and then making a lot of noise. Like the motors would get stuck and stuck they are.

I can work the motors usually running but this is thru applying several times the "Stick Commands". The Hexa has flown.

If I bypass the DJI all motors work perfectly.

And what the .... is it with DJI updates and the rar format...

GGoodrum

I hate to say it, but I think you might be screwed. There are a number of high-end ESCs, like Kontronics, Castle Creations, Hyperion, etc., that don't play nice with multi rotor flight control systems, such as the WK-M. Sometimes the problem is that they don't arm properly, mainly due to not seeing a proper signal from the receiver. The WK-M needs to initialize for a few seconds before it starts outputting throttle signals. One thing you might try is powering up the WK-M first, and then the ESCs.

-- Gary

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Gary might be right, tho I know the CC ESC only have issue with the auto-throttle calibration causing unstable flight. The Kontronik may have the same Auto-Programming-Mode. Maybe try to set your ESC in plane mode? Hope you get it sorted out. I have Jive before but didnt bother to fiddle with them and sold it off and got cheap ESC serves me well for over 30-40 flights so expensive ESC might not be required after all. Unless you use those that were really intended for Multi's

PapaRomeo

So much for the Counter ESCs!!!

People are putting 200 hundred dollar Plettenbergs into their super expensive multirotors and flying cameras like the Epic and then using 9 dollar Hobbyking **** (ESCs)... That is like putting a saddle on a cow. There are big differences with the ESCs and over the years I have been flying e-planes and helis Kontronik has been my favorite. But HobbyKing is not an option.

This is a problem with DJI and they should address these short comings not me especially when the advertising is all about the "COUNTER ESCS". And they recommend Kontronik for their ACE ONEs. Just from a marketing point of view I thought that DJI is associated with premium technology and not really low end equipment.

I will try the recommended procedure to power up the WKM first and then my "COUNTER ESCs".

PapaRomeo

Extremely smooth control over entire throttle range. Also the best governor function of all escs (not needed for multirotor). And their 40A esc is 40A continous and can handle much higher peak currents. Excellent service, upgradibility, warranty. Reliability is also second to none according to my experience over 6 years I have been using their equipment.

PapaRomeo

Powering the WKM first and then the Kontronics didn`t change the behaviour. I have motors 1, 3 and 5 working ok but the 2, 4 and 6 just do not want to power up.

Is this DJI problem going to be fixed by firmware update and when. Meanwhile my kit is pretty much useless.

Also DJI needs to address which ESCs are counter escs since that is what they advertise. Also that company has a eb site with FAQ that is empty.

GGoodrum

If three are working, but three are not, it might be an end point issue. What sort of throttle range calibration function do these ESCs have? The so-called "cheap" brands have you power up the ESC with the throttle at 100%, and then back to zero. This sets the 0-100% range in the ESC. The reason many higher-end ESCs don't work is because they have an auto calibration function that resets the throttle range automatically, each time it is powered up. This is not good for a controller that uses the throttle as the only way to control all aspects of flight. Another issue with with "expensive" ESCs is that they tend to limit their input rate, preferring to use that "extra" processing time for all those bells and whistles they add for functions that go unused on a MR platform. The simpler ESCs tend to have faster update rates, right out of the box, and most of them can be re-flashed with modified software to up the input rate to like 400-500Hz, which is what most MR flight controllers use on the throttle outputs.

I haven't even heard of anyone here, or on RCGroups, ever having one of the "simple" ESCs fail. These days, these things are extremely reliable, wherever they come from. Also, these ESCs are closer to $30, not $9, if that makes you feel any better, and they've already been re-flashed to have 400Hz update rates. There's also these, for about $17, that Ken will re-flash to the higher update rate for free.

Anyway, I think it's time you climbed back down off that "high horse" of yours, and got ol' Bessie used to a saddle. :02.47-tranquillity:

-- Gary

PapaRomeo

I have reprogrammed the Kontroniks to their defaults (APM-mode) and now they all run but it seems that the throttle range is very limited. Meaning the motors spin imo way too fast after the start up sticks. Too fast to try with the props on. Or maybe I have to try with a 2s battery.

DJI support ofcourse is non existent. I written that company several times but no replies.

Garys suggestions of escs are too small, I would need 5s and 40A. That site also sells something called PULSO. Are they compatible with this DJI?

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I read somewhere the Pulso's are not compatible with the DJI. I am struggling to find ESCs in this range as well. Most of the recommendations are for HobbyWing (Fentium) or Turnigy plush - but the reviews on the 40A plush is not favourable on HobbyKiing.

I contacted montorc.com and they indicated they intend to get Maytech 40A in but not for 3-4 weeks - but I am not sure if those work with DJI.

Not sure if this is a good one or not (I think these are the same as the Fentium):

http://helidirect.com/hobbywing-flyfun-brushless-esc-40a-wbec-built-in-version-41-p-236

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaRomeo

My tests also show that the Kontronik problem goes away under no load situation. So when testing and programming the system without the props as recommended in the manual all seems just great. Everything works as should motors start up smoothly and rotates in correct directions.

But when you put the props on the problems start. Only a random few will start and the others fail with terrible squeking and squeling sounds.

GGoodrum

I read somewhere the Pulso's are not compatible with the DJI. I am struggling to find ESCs in this range as well. Most of the recommendations are for HobbyWing (Fentium) or Turnigy plush - but the reviews on the 40A plush is not favourable on HobbyKiing.

I contacted montorc.com and they indicated they intend to get Maytech 40A in but not for 3-4 weeks - but I am not sure if those work with DJI.

The 30A Maytechs are basically reflashed HobbyWings, so they end up supporting update rates up to 400Hz, which is a good thing. They also have a 16kHz PWM setting so they aren't so noisy. If they are now going to do a 40A version, these would definitely be my first choice, especially if they will do 5s or 6s.

-- Gary

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Gary this is the answer I was looking on my thread. I guess either wait or flash some turnigy 40A on 5-6S to support 400hz rates. Thanks

ddmt

The 30A Maytechs are basically reflashed HobbyWings, so they end up supporting update rates up to 400Hz, which is a good thing. They also have a 16kHz PWM setting so they aren't so noisy. If they are now going to do a 40A version, these would definitely be my first choice, especially if they will do 5s or 6s.

-- Gary

Urm, Maytech ESCs are rebranded ZTW ESC, just like Mystery Brand. Not sure if the one Montorc sells are re-flashed using simonk firmware, but if you still can use the programmer card or need to calibrate the tx range then it's using the original firmware.

PapaRomeo : For your bench test, did you try with props on, but in manual mode? Linearity of the throttle could appear strange for you if the autopilot is interfering.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ddmt do you know of any 40a ESCs that can be flashed with simonk firmware. All i am finding are 30a max and thats it !

I have the plush 40a not sure what chip is on it and i guess flashing them wouldnt work anyways since i cant get these sandwiched together boards apart.

Thanks Boris

PapaRomeo

La Turbine: Yes I did. The problem is when you set up the quad or hexa and you put it all together everything seems just fine. The motors run as you do not have any props on. But when you start flight testing with the props on you are in for a big surprice of nothing no longer working.