Lost my first drone

Scooterwolf

Well this happened sooner than I'd like, but my drone drifted away from me in the park near where I live. I was practicing basic maneuvers - take offs and landings. Hovering and learning to rotate and gain basic orientations for flight patterns. On my 5th or 6th try it really began to drift away from me toward a small pond that's in the center of the park.

Hitting the landing button I watch as the drone began to slowly descend, but it's trajectory was going to take it straight into the pond. Rushing toward it I gave it more thrust - too much - and the drone lurched upwards and struck an overhanging tree branch. Flipping over it fell into the pond. It was floating when I got to the pond so I rushed to the other side where it was closer to the bank. By the time I got there it was gone - sunk into 4-5 feet of murky water. Damn.

Of course I paced up and down the pond's edge for about a half hour trying to look for air bubbles, or a solid smudged shape in the pond's depths. Nothing. As mush as I wanted to admit it I had lost it.

In hindsight this could be a good thing. It was a really cheap drone - I paid $60 dollars for it knowing I didn't want to spend a lot on something I would probably crash (just didn't expect that to be a waterborne one). Also, the retailer was really sketch and I discovered they had sent me their cheapest model - camera quality was 640 SD. My receipt said it was a 720 HD camera. I was also getting the impression that when the camera was on it drained the battery pretty quickly.

So, as I try to put this behind me (it's a learning experience) I'm now ready to look at better quality beginner drones. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I get a good remote controller and practice with a simulator first?

- Wolf

Scooterwolf

Thanks for the links. I like the track idea, though my drone is at the bottom of a pond so I'm not sure if a tracker could help, but if I get one I could also use it on my motor scooter as well.

- Wolf

Yep, you could use Trackimo for your scooter as well. Been using it for my car and my drone. By the way regarding your next drone, you should check out the reviews on this forum. They review a lot of good drones.

bnplu

Well this happened sooner than I'd like, but my drone drifted away from me in the park near where I live. I was practicing basic maneuvers - take offs and landings. Hovering and learning to rotate and gain basic orientations for flight patterns. On my 5th or 6th try it really began to drift away from me toward a small pond that's in the center of the park.

Hitting the landing button I watch as the drone began to slowly descend, but it's trajectory was going to take it straight into the pond. Rushing toward it I gave it more thrust - too much - and the drone lurched upwards and struck an overhanging tree branch. Flipping over it fell into the pond. It was floating when I got to the pond so I rushed to the other side where it was closer to the bank. By the time I got there it was gone - sunk into 4-5 feet of murky water. Damn.

Of course I paced up and down the pond's edge for about a half hour trying to look for air bubbles, or a solid smudged shape in the pond's depths. Nothing. As mush as I wanted to admit it I had lost it.

In hindsight this could be a good thing. It was a really cheap drone - I paid $60 dollars for it knowing I didn't want to spend a lot on something I would probably crash (just didn't expect that to be a waterborne one). Also, the retailer was really sketch and I discovered they had sent me their cheapest model - camera quality was 640 SD. My receipt said it was a 720 HD camera. I was also getting the impression that when the camera was on it drained the battery pretty quickly.

So, as I try to put this behind me (it's a learning experience) I'm now ready to look at better quality beginner drones. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I get a good remote controller and practice with a simulator first?

- Wolf

- Wolf
The answer will depend on what you are wanting to do with the Drone and how much you are willing to spend. It sounds to me that you are wanting to take Pictures and Video with it. For that reason I would recommend the ProMark GPS Drone. I might be a bit prejudice because it was my firs Drone. I had a lot of fun learning with it. That was a couple of years ago and have come a long way since then. I love the Drone Hobby and hope you will as much. Good Flying!

Thanks Christian,

I'll look into them.

- Wolf