What's the best radio to use with the WooKong?

Skysurf

I have the opportunity to switch radios. I am also putting together my first WooKong hexa. What is the preferred radio system to use with the WooKong?

I like the idea of using S-Bus to reduce the number wires. Are there any downsides to using S-Bus? Fail-safe?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jesper

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Jesper,

only real downside i can think of is that futaba as far as i am informed, doesn't offer an data link to implement some telemetry sensors on the WKM, if you dont want to go with the WKM View option. Otherwise it is a question of taste. But you dont necessarily have to switch your radio there might be modules for you radio you so can use a futaba RX on the WKM. I for example have a Graupner MX 22 with a robbe rasst module and have a futaba RX with s-bus on my hexa and octo.

Boris

Siteline

Boris,I know you've tried to help me with the Robbe Rasst on another post, but I can't seem to find any info on whether or not there is one compatible with the Graupner MX-20. Does anyone know if it is? Cheers.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• lasonic-i931.jpg
    lasonic-i931.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 405

Skysurf

only real downside i can think of is that futaba as far as i am informed, doesn't offer an data link to implement some telemetry sensors on the WKM, if you dont want to go with the WKM View option. Otherwise it is a question of taste. But you dont necessarily have to switch your radio there might be modules for you radio you so can use a futaba RX on the WKM. I for example have a Graupner MX 22 with a robbe rasst module and have a futaba RX with s-bus on my hexa and octo.

Boris

Thanks Boris.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is no built in telemetry functions in the Futaba radios. Can telemetry collected by the WKM be transmitted directly to the radio (if using for example a Spektrum DX8 with built in telemetry) or does this information need to be transmitted using a separate transmitter like with WKM View? Will fail-safe work the same when using Futaba S-Bus?

I am selling my JR11Xs and now I am looking for a radio that will be able to take full advantage of the WKM while minimizing the amount of wiring.

I think that the Futaba T8FGS looks like a good option. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks again,

Jesper

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Boris.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is no built in telemetry functions in the Futaba radios. Can telemetry collected by the WKM be transmitted directly to the radio (if using for example a Spektrum DX8 with built in telemetry) or does this information need to be transmitted using a separate transmitter like with WKM View? Will fail-safe work the same when using Futaba S-Bus?

I am selling my JR11Xs and now I am looking for a radio that will be able to take full advantage of the WKM while minimizing the amount of wiring.

I think that the Futaba T8FGS looks like a good option. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks again,

Jesper

As far as i can see no futaba is still struggling, please correct me if i researched wrong. But dont get me wrong DJI WKM doesnt allow you to hook up you own data link to there units anyways. The only thing you can do if you have a system that has a bidirectional link is to ad additional sensor temp A etc. Which i am planning to do with my Unilog setup since temp is very important for me and WKM View dosent offer an option at all.

Thats all i could find about telemetry futaba robbe http://www.robbe.de/content_global/images/robbe-erleben/newsletter/Newsletter_Telemetrie_2011.pdf sorry in german and I cant find the actuall products.

Fail safe works the best with S-bus since there is not real configuring necessary. Singallos WKM goes to failsafe without you having to give a failsafe state for the flight mode channel, but not really a biggy.

I cant really tell you anything specific about the actual Futaba Radios since i am sticking to my Graupner.

Boris

HeinzABF

@ Siteline

I am using a MX 20 Hott with a 24 Channel Receiver without problems. But you have all the wires. And with the "General-Air Module" (for small money) you have also the following:
Functions:

• Vario with altitude signals plus climb and drop signals as well as additional warning thresholds for min. altitude, max. altitude, climb, and drop speeds in two stages
  • Altitude display (- 500 … + 3000 m) and storage of min. and max. altitude
  • 2x temperature and voltage measurements with warning thresholds for min. and max. voltage and min. and max. temperature
  • Individual measurement with warning threshold for min. voltage
  • Voltage, current, and capacity measurement with warning threshold for min. and max. voltage, max. capacity, and max. current
  • Current limiting programmable
  • Messurment of the current with shunt resistors 2x 1 mOhm parallel = 0.5 mOhm
  • Rpm measurement and warning threshold for min. and max. rpms
  • Fuel measurement with warning threshold in 25% steps
  • Warning time can be set to: OFF, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds, always
  • Warning repeat time can be set to: always, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes, once

Regards
Heinz

Siteline

Thanks HeinzABF, This is great info! Are you able to use this set up on an octo? I was under the impression the S-Bus was the only way to do this? So far I really like the MX-20 for the MK's, It would be great to continue to use it for WKM CS8 build. Thanks for your help regardless!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
works with a octo if you dont want gimbal stabi from the WKM. I just wondering if the general air module includes all these sensors or they are additional ones you have to add. By the way DJI today gave in on the RCgroups forum and they will implement ppm input.

Thanks HeinzABF, This is great info! Are you able to use this set up on an octo? I was under the impression the S-Bus was the only way to do this? So far I really like the MX-20 for the MK's, It would be great to continue to use it for WKM CS8 build. Thanks for your help regardless!

Siteline, you can use any receiver for an octo plus gimbal if you use this small futaba sbus encoder.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/futaba_sbe-1_encoder_cgy750_p-sbe-1-p-15947.html

I use it with my DX8 and enjoy the benefits of telemetry plus altitude.

llbr22

I have the opportunity to switch radios. I am also putting together my first WooKong hexa. What is the preferred radio system to use with the WooKong?

I like the idea of using S-Bus to reduce the number wires. Are there any downsides to using S-Bus? Fail-safe?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jesper

8FG has been pretty solid for me. S-bus allows lots of flexibility to assign channels and mixes without the extra wires. Unique Failsafe assignments on any or all of the channels you want. I'm currently using one of my knobs to control my gimbal tilt, and a switch for shutter release on the camera.

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
I am going to be trying out my setup with a modded Turnigy 9x with FrSky. I love the 3 knobs on the Turnigy for camera operations, all that for under $100. But im still waiting for parts so it will be a month till I try it.

Skysurf

8FG has been pretty solid for me. S-bus allows lots of flexibility to assign channels and mixes without the extra wires. Unique Failsafe assignments on any or all of the channels you want. I'm currently using one of my knobs to control my gimbal tilt, and a switch for shutter release on the camera.

Sounds good. I ordered one and got it two days ago. Seems to be really good value.

Thanks,

Jesper