Rogue drone crashes into Ferris wheel....oh brother

The headline from the lamers over at MSNBC(doesn't matter what corporate news outlet it comes from, they're all equally worthless):
From NBCNews.com http://www.nbcnews.com/video/rogue-drone-strikes-ferris-wheel-crashes-below-565153859721 Rogue Drone Strikes Ferris Wheel, Crashes Below

DJI, the company that single handed brought RC aircraft (talking multis here) to the clueless masses, and in one fell swoop has brought the wrath and fury of the FAA and bs regulations on to an entire group of dedicated (and benign) hobbyists. This is why I despise DJI owners as I do.

Sent from my iPhone

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
The headline from the lamers over at MSNBC(doesn't matter what corporate news outlet it comes from, they're all equally worthless):
From NBCNews.com http://www.nbcnews.com/video/rogue-drone-strikes-ferris-wheel-crashes-below-565153859721 Rogue Drone Strikes Ferris Wheel, Crashes Below

DJI, the company that single handed brought RC aircraft (talking multis here) to the clueless masses, and in one fell swoop has brought the wrath and fury of the FAA and bs regulations on to an entire group of dedicated (and benign) hobbyists. This is why I despise DJI owners as I do.

Sent from my iPhone

...and the 3DR Solo that crashed at the tennis match...

Would of been a great post if you hadn't blamed DJI. It's like blaming Boeing for 9/11.

That's a hell of an analogy (Boeing 9/11) I simply reject and don't agree with. Just seems to me like 8/10 or 9/10 of the clearly blatant violations are clueless DJI owners. I realize there are responsible owners as well, but IMHO they are few and far between. This latest incident clearly puts the final nails in the coffin for the rest of us. I'm just so pissed off I can't see straight!

Benjamin Kenobi

Well, DJI do have 85% of the consumer drones market so those figures make sense.

Glad you don't agree with the Boeing comment. That's how I feel about your DJI comment!

Saying that, it does sound a bit like the US gun debate. I do believe guns are the problem. So maybe DJI, or should I say 'unregulated drone use', is an issue?

SamaraMedia

Good thing DJI has the Phantom X in the works, that should end all the idiotic behavior...:p

I fly DJI products - SAFELY! But also feel pain every time I see another "rogue drone" turns out to be a P2/3. S*** like this just makes it that much more difficult for those of trying to do the right thing as the FAA/DOT and Congress figure out how to get a grip. Everyday I question whether or not I should keep investing time and money into this industry to make a living in the future with so much uncertainty of stringent regulations and out of reach prices on technology that may become standard requirements.

Benjamin Kenobi

We have the same issue here in the UK. Well, except the CAA are very supportive of the industry and give us great freedom to operate. Why can't the FAA do the same!

I find these kinds of stories aren't that bad for the industry. It makes those of us who operate professionally look even better!

We have the same issue here in the UK. Well, except the CAA are very supportive of the industry and give us great freedom to operate. Why can't the FAA do the same!

I find these kinds of stories aren't that bad for the industry. It makes those of us who operate professionally look even better!
Sorry, your statement simply defies all logic. Guess you know something the rest of us don't.

Old Man

In the photo with the article the cop is holding what is indeed the most common MR involved in these events. A Phantom.

Since they recovered the MR but not the operator this added more support for drone registration. Two things are certain, MR operators need to be more responsible and the manufacturers/distributors must assure buyers are cognizant of safe operating practices. Perhaps a pre buy qualification standard is in order.

In the photo with the article the cop is holding what is indeed the most common MR involved in these events. A Phantom.
Bingo!
Since they recovered the MR but not the operator this added more support for drone registration. Two things are certain, MR operators need to be more responsible and the manufacturers/distributors must assure buyers are cognizant of safe operating practices. Perhaps a pre buy qualification standard is in order.
Exactly. Maybe when a MR of a certain size (ie Phantoms, Yuneecs, etc.) is purchased, the FC could be extremely limited (ie, governed) in both altitude and radius until the newbie can at least pass a simple written test (both basic flight and written would be better). Then once said newbie is "enlightened" a bit, the FC could be unlocked through a simple hex file or firmware update.

Just thinking out loud here...guess this would be a lot more problematic to put in practice, however.:(

dazzab

I've been advocating for consumer drones to be limited in range for some time now. It can't be that difficult to achieve technically. It's the only way to stop the 'Phantom Menace'.

Old Man

We are faced with the problem of DJI's insistence of marketing a longer range sUAS than anyone one else markets. The Phantom line is widely touted as having superb BLOS operating capability, with DJI marketing equipment to extend that range even further..

So we have a case of DJI holding the majority of market share while only providing lip service to operating safety and responsibility. Much of their market share has been obtained at the expense of ignoring flight safety, and in fact encouraging irresponsible behavior through product design and marketing tactics. Sales volume and maximizing profitability are much higher in importance to them. I do believe it will not be long before we see import, sales, and use restrictions, with hefty penalties, for anything that can extend operating range beyond a few hundred feet in any direction.

Clearly DJI is dealing from both sides of the deck.

We are faced with the problem of DJI's insistence of marketing a longer range sUAS than anyone one else markets. The Phantom line is widely touted as having superb BLOS operating capability, with DJI marketing equipment to extend that range even further..

So we have a case of DJI holding the majority if market share while only providing lip service to operating safety and responsibility. Sales volume and maximizing profitability are much higher in importance to them. I do believe it will not be long before we see import, sales, and use restrictions, with hefty penalties, for anything that can extend operating range beyond a few hundred feet in any direction.
Bingo again. You must be psychic!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Old Man "Clearly DJI is dealing from both sides of the deck."

I remember watching their internet launch and when they went to China, they had a bunch of people (mostly 30 somethings and younger) in a condo or apartment way up high in a high rise. They were drinking and having a good time and then on cue, they launched an Inspire with the camera streaming to the internet along with other camera(s) filming the goings on. They then flew the Inspire out the sliding door to the balcony and then high above the city streets in some city the size of New York City.

I remember thinking that these guys are bat S**t crazy doing this. Certainly dealing and talking from both sides of their mouth and deck.

I to cringe every time I see a "Drone" in the news. It always seems to be a phantom as well. It sucks that every jerk with a few extra bucks in his pocket tries to ruin it for the rest of us that fly safe. the media is just as guilty in forming bad public perception by always showing the negative and rarely the positive side of our hobby. I'm against any type of regulation or Govt interference for the simple reason that when they get involved we all tend to lose out in the long run. When I fly near my home or at a park most people are genuinely interested and not negative at all. I was at the flea market the other day and a vendor had a Phantom with all the extras thrown into a cardboard box. He had no clue what he had or how to work it. I was listening to the conversation of the other dealers hovering around it, they were all basically uninformed and had a perception that was unrealistic of what it was capable of. He said he wanted $700 for it. I wasn't going to argue with him on its actual value.

We have had more than one instance here in the states of yahoos shooting down UAV's with a shotgun. It really boils my blood because half the time the operator was doing something stupid and the other half some idiot thinks his privacy was being infringed and he had every right to act. Yeah,....I really want to hover low over your back yard and take pictures of your old lady with my $3000 UAV.

Old Man

John,

That kind of activity has not been limited to our MR version of UAV's. It's also occurred with RC airplanes. I was involved in a criminal trial that originally started out with a land owner using a shotgun in attempts to shoot down RC planes at a neighboring flying field back in 2005. They were pretty bad shots but did manage to put a couple of bird shot into one of mine. It later escalated into a vehicular assault charge after the neighbor used a pick up truck to run down a woman at the flying field. The injuries were very severe and luckily did not result in a death.

There's some seriously off kilter people out there and it's getting worse every day.