Tuning help please..

Dixter

Ok... first flight today... here's how it went... ( this is a X octo )

Put radio into ATTI mode. placed bird on the ground and hooked up the battery...
Flipped the radio to GPS mode... watched all sats acquire.. about 1 minute time.
Flipped the radio back to ATTI mode, no hands on the right stick, gave it a little throttle
and it lifts to around 5 feet, nice and smooth.. now, no hands on either stick.
The bird is holding altitude fine, but its slowly drifting forward and to the right.
I test out the forward/backward, left/right and rudder.. all sticks are responding correctly...
So far pretty good except the slight forward/right drifting...
decide to land and do a touch and go...
Lower the throttle a little and she's coming down nice and slow everything looking great.
It touches the ground, I move the throttle all the way down thinking a great flight and landing.
But with the throttle stick all the way down (ATTI mode) the motors aren't spinning down
enough and the bird is now bouncing to the ground and then up about a foot.... down/up
down/up down/up...
I flip the radio to manual and the bird is now on the ground with the motors stopped...

So, Whats wrong here... We know that if your in ATTI or GPS mode that the motors do not shut
down for a few seconds... thats OK, but how do I get the motors to not run too fast that I'm bouncing
off the ground for those few seconds....

Here's are the setups...

pitch roll yaw vert
Basic Gain 180 180 180 180

Attitude Gain 75 75

IMU setup 4,0,0
GPS setup -12,0,-12

So three questions please.
1) what do I adjust to get rid of the slight movement forward
2) what do I adjust to get rid of the slight right movement
3) what do I adjust to lower the prop speed when landing so as not to bounce
like a beach ball

I'd like to keep all radio setting neutral if possible....

Thanks in advance for any help here...
Dixter

Last edited by a moderator:

llbr22

1 and 2.. up your roll and pitch gains.

How are your measurement values for IMU and GPS position?

3. Did you calibrate your esc's? Or check your throttle ch. calibration in the software? Zero stick might too high a value.

Emowillcox

Dixter is this on a wookong? Could be a problem with your failsafe setting on your radio? Manual mode seems to over ride failsafe.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Actually sounds like WKM is calculating the throttle wrong. If you move your throttle stick all the way down once the bird is on the ground it should stay down no matter which mode. Motors spin a couple more seconds and they should be off.

Or you have something wrong in your tx calibration and lowest in the throttle on you radio is considered lowest possible for the WKM. Look again at the TX calibration. Although if something is wrong there than manual also shouldn't work or power down the motors.

If you feel like i could be right with my assumption. Try with you next flight to trim down your throttle. Allow you to give a lower throttle signal than normal. Could be a approach to finding the issue.

Dixter

In the house, testing now... in ATTI mode if I give it just a little throttle it just starts to float off the floor, then when I pull the throttle down
to zero it floats on the floor for a couple seconds and then the motors shut off... I'm now wondering if I don't have it over powered/over prop'd... it needs more weight ??? I'm going to try smaller props and see...

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
could be but the code in WKM should not allow you to hover at little throttle no matter which motor prop combo you are using. It should notice okay throttle stick not in mid position or over mid position i should not hover or rise etc. Could it be something with you ESCs, calibration etc. ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Its obvious that the WKM normally calculates the throttle. Imagine a bird with no payload hovers holding altitude at mid stick. You add payload wkm has to recalculate how much throttle is needed again to hold altitude at mid stick.

When i was testing my octo the first time with wkm the octo with the lipo maybe had 3.2 KG. Altogether a trust of around 17 KG and it didnt move before being on midstick or over.

Dixter

Not yet... didn't get to fly yesterday, the winds were too strong ... tonight I'm going to play with the settings in the house....
just wondering if I set the gains on the altitude if it will slow the motors down during the 3 second spin down... ??