Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Need some advice. I can't get a picture downlink when in creative video mode, but I can in iA mode. I'm sure it a camera setting but it's got me stuck. I'm using a Lightbridge dual TX setup with an ipad. All updated firmware including camera. All I get ia a black screen with "4K PHOTO ENABLED"

Set HDMI output on GH4 to 1080p

allbread

Howdy folks,

New to the hobby (well, I've been into RC planes and helis for a long time and into photography but I'm just starting to combine the two) and new this forum.

I did do a search and didn't find anything but I'm wondering if this gimbal (or any other DJI compatible gimbal) fits a Nikon 7100?

Thanks!
Ryan

Perhaps the gimbal made for the Canon 5D would work - here's a size comparison of the two.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 10.35.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 10.35.47 AM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:

allbread

Actually, the more I'm reading about the GH4 the more I'm thinking I might get it for dedicated video/aerial and use the Nikon for dedicated stills. Videos that I've seen have been fantastic, it's not near as much as a Canon 5D and, unlike my Nikon, they obviously make a gimble just for it!

apsussex

The GH4 continues to impress me for film work, I use a 5D3 for general ground still and video work, but the GH4 is becoming my choice for video. The Olympus 12mm, f5.6 is the sweet spot for me, I would say from F8 onwards defraction starts to show although really this is more of a concern with stills. I use manual white balance and as low ISO as possible, manual focusing most of the time, but I actually do find the AF pretty good. Did try to stick a 12-32mm on the GH4 but had all sorts of balancing issues.

Benjamin Kenobi

Speed? Do you mean shutter speed? Well if you're filming at 25fps then shutter speed is 1/50. Or do you mean ISO? 200 is as low as the GH4 goes.

gael

Yes Shutter speed and i agree this is the double of fps but some guy use higher speed to have more sharpness...

Benjamin Kenobi

You can use a higher shutter speed but it increases the rolling shutter effect. I used to use 1/200th but the rolling shutter when panning was terrible.

Buzz_Roavr

I am at my wits end with the GH4 gimble. Live view out is completely intermittent. LED is solid no feed.

I thought we had sorted it the other day with the usual 1080p feed out issue. But no. Had two successful flights today and then no feed on the third. No settings have been changed.

Faulty gimble? Just off to check HDMI out on the GH4.

scotth

I am at my wits end with the GH4 gimble. Live view out is completely intermittent. LED is solid no feed.

I thought we had sorted it the other day with the usual 1080p feed out issue. But no. Had two successful flights today and then no feed on the third. No settings have been changed.

Jeez did I write that? Aside from the viewfinder eye-sensor feature (which needs to be off) I had all kinds of issues with this. At the end of the day, I found that HD-AV 1.18 did not work at all (white screen in PAL), so don't install that. With 1.14, the only way for me to shoot 23.98 was to let the camera handshake at 29.97 (blinking LED) and THEN switch to 23.98. At that point the LED turns solid (indicating no signal) but you do still have an image. It's all in PAL though.

Note I was in the 59.94 system frequency the whole time. Not sure about 50hz.

Benjamin Kenobi

Have you got it to 1080p HDMI out as opposed to just recording in 1080p? (someone else made this mistake). Maybe wiggle the HDMI lead around a bit just incase it's a loose connection?

PMaughan

I am at my wits end with the GH4 gimble. Live view out is completely intermittent. LED is solid no feed.I thought we had sorted it the other day with the usual 1080p feed out issue. But no. Had two successful flights today and then no feed on the third. No settings have been changed.Faulty gimble? Just off to check HDMI out on the GH4.
Mines a bit flakey too, some days good some days bad. Had real horizon issues this morning as well, but was fine in the afternoon. Then last, thankfully, flight today it's started ocillating like it's stiffness is too high. Pretty unpredictable which is a shame cause it's fantastic when it's working.

I still can't get the shutter to trigger on the GH4. Have to press rec before take off and rec all the unwanted crap. Other than that, the zenmuse works fine.

ovdt

Is it possible to adjust tilt balance on Zenmuse GH4? I would like to use a different lens, like Rokinon 12mm T2.2 with ND filters. Is that possible?

Chicken&chips

How the hell do I create a new thread on this forum? Can anyone help? I feel like my wife, watching sport and asking who's in what colour!

Is it possible to adjust tilt balance on Zenmuse GH4? I would like to use a different lens, like Rokinon 12mm T2.2 with ND filters. Is that possible?

The Rokinon 12 is the same as my Samyang and it will not fit in the front ring on the zenmuse which is only 58mm dia. The Rokinon dia is 59.5mm dia and much bigger and heavier. And if you could fit it in, the slot on the bottom plate of the Zen would need elongating rearwards and there is not much meat left on the ali plate to do this.

ovdt

The Rokinon 12 is the same as my Samyang and it will not fit in the front ring on the zenmuse which is only 58mm dia. The Rokinon dia is 59.5mm dia and much bigger and heavier. And if you could fit it in, the slot on the bottom plate of the Zen would need elongating rearwards and there is not much meat left on the ali plate to do this.

Thanks! That's kind of bummer :/

I will stick to my Movi M5 then :)

Randy Slavin

I use manual everything, including WB and ISO. To be honest I find I never really venture outside of ISO 200 unless it's really low light. I focus to infinity and pull it back a little bit, just so it's touching the infinity symbol.

Got absolutely brilliant results from the GH4 so far!

How are you setting exposure when in Manual? I find that when flying I am encountering many different exposure possibilities in a short flight. Example, once I climb over a treeline and brightness increases... or turning toward or away from the sun.