Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Quinton

The GH4 is actually pretty good at focusing now, especially with the Panasonic lenses.
Depends what settings you are currently using.
It has a focus feature called DFD "Depth from focus" (and not phase or contrast detect like other cameras) that does not "hunt" for focus but tries to gather the information from the amount of bokeh in the picure.

Not sure how well it handles the Olympus lens which you are probably using, or what settings you use, but if taking stills only I would put the F stop wide open minus 1 or 2 stops if you can, and try and focus on something that has a lot of detail in it (not a wall which is all the same colour).
The focus on the GH4 is really very quick so you probably won't even see it with a 12mm lens when you are set to AFS/AFF. (Auto Focus Single)
Go into your menu and see what it is set to, AFF is like a hybrid of AFC (auto focus continuous) and it will try and re-focus if you have recomposed and will give you different results.

Its best if users are having problems that they let us know what they are currently using.

Again I do not have this lens so I am not sure how it focuses automatically with the gh4.

Buzz_Roavr

The autofocus on the Olympus 12mm is still not great IMO. For aerial work I focus on infinity (the red in the bar) and use the focus assist while looking at a landscape scene and adjust so I get the best depth of field.

I'm still not super happy with it for stills (lack of crispness) but video is great.

Quinton

I am also interested to know how to make the autofocus work for stills. Any idea?

Why wouldn't it work?
Just make sure it is set to AFS and that shutter AF is set to on in the 3rd menu down, and it should auto focus when half pressed.

Quinton

I do not have the GH4 Zenmuse but I used to have the 5D Zenmuse before it went back but surely it is very similar.
I take it you are in manual mode when taking photos, pressing the shutter button should focus and take the picture (if you are set in auto focus), it may happen very quickly.
If yours is not doing that then something is surely not set up right.

xahhax

this is the behavior on mine: (both camera and zenmuse are on latest firmware)
- when the GH4 is set on any autofocus mode (i use AFS), the remote shutter trigger sends a 'half press' signal to the camera and it does focus - but does not take the picture. I can see that on my FPV screen through the video downlink
- when the Gh4 is set on manual mode (i just flip the lens to manual mode), the remote shutter trigger takes a picture. Works but I would prefer to have the AF. Not everything I take is meant to infinite...
To me seems like a missing feature of the zenmuse.

Quinton

Like I said I do not have the Zenmuse but if my gimbal would not take a picture with auto focus I would be looking to see whats wrong or sending it back, however..

Not knowing how well you know the camera, I know this may sound a bit stupid or patronising but if you physically hold the camera and press the shutter down with your finger when its set to AFS does it take a picture, if yes then it could be a zenmuse problem, if no then it is a setting inside your camera.

If the camera was OK, then my next step would be to look at your remote control end points to see what they are set at.
As a test I would maybe put channel 5 (I think that's shutter) on one of your sticks and move it up and down until it takes a picture so you know roughly where the focus and shutter points are. (Open them up fully first)

First however I would rule out if its a camera problem again you are using an Olympus lens (which I do not have but I'm sure others can help you) so it may be a simple solution in the menu settings to get it working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup, mine does the same, it doesn't both focus and take a photo. One or the other. It is on a 2 position switch, might try it on a 3.

Also - when I set my GH4 on full resolution in 4:3 ratio as soon as I hook it up to the Zenmuse it switches to 16:9 aspect ratio, which is only 12mp..... How the hell do I make it stay on 17mp 4:3??!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
With the olympus you have to slide the focus ring forward (so it hides the numbers) to engage auto focus, and have it setup in the menu to autofocus. I personally don't use autofocus but this method works on the bench. For infinity with have the marker touching the infinity symbol rather than in the middle of it.

Alas as soon as you connect the HDMI lead to the GH4 (same with GH3) you get 16:9. Pain in the arse! Something to do with the video out mode (live view). :02.47-tranquillity:

Jumpy07

Just finished setting dual operator up on mine.. you can really see the loss of roll level when you pan the gimbal.. I was seeing some issues with roll creep and horizon loss in single operator before..

Ed.. just wondering if there are any plans to release new firmware that allows you to calibrate the gimbal ?, or should I be thinking of sending it back ?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Searching for thoughts on this initializing issue. Please see video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByoDP07ndVw&feature=youtu.be
GCU 1.8
IMU 1.6
CMU 1.0
HDAV 1.14

What on earth have you done to that gimbal!? It is clear the camera is really low. Have you adjusted the Zenmuse yourself? If not you'll need to raise it yourself but loosening a couple of screws. The camera should be perfectly balanced before you try turning anything on. Cool?

With the olympus you have to slide the focus ring forward (so it hides the numbers) to engage auto focus, and have it setup in the menu to autofocus. I personally don't use autofocus but this method works on the bench. For infinity with have the marker touching the infinity symbol rather than in the middle of it.

Alas as soon as you connect the HDMI lead to the GH4 (same with GH3) you get 16:9. Pain in the arse! Something to do with the video out mode (live view). :02.47-tranquillity:

So there is no way to shoot stills in full res?? That is insane..... and a huge disappointment. 12mp is not good enough :(

Quinton

So there is no way to shoot stills in full res?? That is insane..... and a huge disappointment. 12mp is not good enough :(

Well you could not hook fpv up through the HDMI cable and you can get full res, I know it cant really be done on the Zenmuse but with another gimbal you could put a gopro or similar on the hot shoe or actually behind the live view to frame..but that's a bit over the top :)

Tahoe Ed

Just finished setting dual operator up on mine.. you can really see the loss of roll level when you pan the gimbal.. I was seeing some issues with roll creep and horizon loss in single operator before..

Ed.. just wondering if there are any plans to release new firmware that allows you to calibrate the gimbal ?, or should I be thinking of sending it back ?

That is what v1.8 was supposed to cure. I would try and reinstall v1.8, do Advanced IMU calibration and see if it is doing it when you fly. Many things that happen on the bench do not occur at the field. If it is still doing it, then yes it needs to go back. There was talk quite awhile ago about user calibration but no mention recently.

gsp

Need some advice. I can't get a picture downlink when in creative video mode, but I can in iA mode. I'm sure it a camera setting but it's got me stuck. I'm using a Lightbridge dual TX setup with an ipad. All updated firmware including camera. All I get ia a black screen with "4K PHOTO ENABLED"

fdproductions

FD Productions
Gsp what frequency are you running for your flight control 2.4 433 or via LB? My suggestion is to downgrade your gh4 if this is really important to you if that's even possible I don't know