Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Stratifier

I've only had one 4K job so far, a Red Bull mountain bike race, but to be honest I prefer the high bitrate 1080p. For TV work it is just brilliant and all that extra information is great in the edit.

Hi Ben, may I ask you how you control the aperture up there? Are you leaving it auto? Are you able to correct in flight or do you rather change the shutter speed? Or do you land it? what about the wifi app?
Thanks

Stratifier

Ok, been reading the thread from A to Z, got my answers and more !!! :tennis: However, that leads to a new question. I use a 12mm olympus, but it seems that if I want to have full control on the lens I should use an X vario instead right?.Does the Zenmuse would accept a 12-35 ?(Balance wise) Being able to correct the aperture "live" is really important to me.
Thanks

Buzz_Roavr

I think you'll find most GH4 users myself included run it in manual mode for stills and video.
GH4 is not the best for stills IMO but a fantastic video machine.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
All manual on the ground. No camera control in flight for me. After a short while you'll just know what exposures to use by just looking around you.

What I hate is the intermittent cloudy days we have in England where it can be bright sun one minute and heavy cloud the next!

Quinton

Ok, been reading the thread from A to Z, got my answers and more !!! :tennis: However, that leads to a new question. I use a 12mm olympus, but it seems that if I want to have full control on the lens I should use an X vario instead right?.Does the Zenmuse would accept a 12-35 ?(Balance wise) Being able to correct the aperture "live" is really important to me.
Thanks

The Zenmuse wont work with the 12-35 it is too heavy also, there are only 2 X series lenses that you can control the zoom, and that is the 14-42 and 45-175 (you need to look for the PZ Power Zoom), the 14-42 lens length changes when you zoom too.

If you want full control with a good camera you would have to look at something like a 5D with a "camremote" shutter controller.
Why is controlling aperture really important to you?

Jumpy07

So looking at everyone comments and advice.. does this look ok ?.. anything missing or wrong.. or anything worth adding ?

bac3670bc3b249998c2566569bdbfb9f.png

PMaughan

So looking at everyone comments and advice.. does this look ok ?.. anything missing or wrong.. or anything worth adding ?

Hi Craig,
If you have to use one of the priority settings I personally would use aperture, using shutter gives you quite abrupt and obvious steps as it moves stop.
Pete

scotth

Just installed the GH4 gimbal and am having pretty good luck so far, but have noticed that when panning (on the bench) there is a slight roll that happens during the pan. It levels once you stop panning. Does this in both directions. My GH3 gimbal did not do this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The other minor issue is the gimbal is not quite centered on the pan axis after initialization, or when returning to FPV mode.

Thanks,

Scott

UPDATE - I spoke too soon. I seem to be having the same analog video output that many others are complaining about... only outputs a PAL signal. And it's flaky at that. My status led on the HDMI board is both red AND green. I just updated the firmware, no joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks pretty spot on! Really learning to use full manual isn't all that hard and will give the best results. One quick note however you might want to add is to try to keep the ISO as low as needed and I always try to use 200 and just adjust other settings or use a filter. And just out of curiosity what made you opt to keep your sweet spot at F10-14?

Cheers!

So how do we get the shutter to work then?
I have assistant set up correctly, tx switch travel adjusted correctly, still no worky.
Anyone else had this problem? how did you fix it please?

I have DX8 tx connected and mapped to the shutter channel on the Zen GCU. Also plugged a servo into the rx output to confirm the channel is switching. When the tx switch is toggled the shutter output in the assistant moves the bar graph turning red at each end as it should. (I also tried aux 1, no difference) I have tried adjusting the travel to "just in" the red area to "everywhere" in the red area to almost "just out". Everything should be working, it's as though the lead is not plugged into the camera, but it is obviously.

Jumpy07

Looks pretty spot on! Really learning to use full manual isn't all that hard and will give the best results. One quick note however you might want to add is to try to keep the ISO as low as needed and I always try to use 200 and just adjust other settings or use a filter. And just out of curiosity what made you opt to keep your sweet spot at F10-14?

Cheers!

Chose F10-F14 based on lens spec... best performance at those stops.. ..and depth of field... min focus distance etc... not hard and fast.. you could probably go a stop either way..

Hi All, new here.

Recently purchased the S1000 GH4 Combo w/ Lightbridge.

I've found myself getting asked to do a lot of photos for real estate, I know there are better cameras out there for stills but I chose the Gh4 for video so I am trying to make best of what I have.

Having trouble getting the shots crispy sharp, was flying around on infinity and then started reading threads about having to bring it back a little. Still not 100% happy with it.

However, I am really impressed with the autofocus for stills - is there any way to configure a channel to half press the shutter to let the autofocus do it's thing before taking a photo?

Cheers