Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

Quinton

well, there is a way to make the shutter work for stills -> by switching the AF to manual on the lens...!

Don't have a GH4 Zenmuse, but used to have a 5D Zen
That would suggest to me that you have an exposure problem, the camera will not take a picture if you arenot properly exposed when the lens is set to Auto.
Just looking through the GH4 Manual, and see its the usual crap, DJI suggest you set it to AFC (Automatic focus continuous) and Creative video mode!
Might be an idea not to use the settings DJI suggest, maybe try it in manual mode..or something else..not sure though as I don't actually have the GH4 Zen but if its working for video there should not be any prob for stills.

Buzz_Roavr

Are you actually talking about updating your GH4 to the latest version using the GH4__V20.bin
Make sure its def in your root folder, there is no need to format the card either.

Mine would not do it either until I selected the "P" I think it was on the camera, (try A and S if that doe snot work) then when I selected play it found the update.

All sorted, thanks for your help. I had not noticed the file was self-extracting to I was extracting it before copying to the SD card.

For Mac users:

Download update
DONT extract
Copy and paste straight to SD card
Full battery
Turn GH4 on
Press and hold play button physically not on touch screen
Update loads

I realise this is a slight derail but hopefully useful to someone!

Cheers, Matt.

xahhax

Don't have a GH4 Zenmuse, but used to have a 5D Zen
That would suggest to me that you have an exposure problem, the camera will not take a picture if you arenot properly exposed when the lens is set to Auto.
Just looking through the GH4 Manual, and see its the usual crap, DJI suggest you set it to AFC (Automatic focus continuous) and Creative video mode!
Might be an idea not to use the settings DJI suggest, maybe try it in manual mode..or something else..not sure though as I don't actually have the GH4 Zen but if its working for video there should not be any prob for stills.

Not an exposure problem - I used Aperture mode, tried Manual too. It is really the manual autofocus...so i guess for both stills and manual the AF will be left off...

Buzz_Roavr

Is anyone willing to suggest some robust base settings for recording video in cinema 4k on the GH4? Infinity doesn't seem to be infinity on the Olympus lens either!

I'm Cinema 4k, 25fps, 1/50th shutter priority, Cinelike D, Auto ISO.

Thoughts?

Jumpy07

I set manual WB and set ISO to keep aperture F10-F18.. I find it better to focus with focus assist on the ground in manual.. AF seems to hunt a bit at times in the air.. but having same issue in getting good focus on infinity..

If you don't need 4K might be better to use one of the high bit rate 1080p modes..

Not long had the GH4.. so still finding my way around as well.. and would also be interested in what others are using ?

Buzz_Roavr

I'm on Auto WB but focus the same as you. I like the idea of 4k as it give more real estate for editing?
Will be playing with UHD next week to see what I can achieve.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I use manual everything, including WB and ISO. To be honest I find I never really venture outside of ISO 200 unless it's really low light. I focus to infinity and pull it back a little bit, just so it's touching the infinity symbol.

Got absolutely brilliant results from the GH4 so far!

Tahoe Ed

I just got my GH4 last week. I now have a DJI GH4 HD gimbal and I am setting it up now. I have a GP4 and while I like the 4K video I think that the GH4 will be much better.

Jumpy07

GH4 is brill.. but the Zenmuse is driving me nuts.. its all over the place... drifts on horizon.. and sits up on reset.. on WKM so no option to calibrate IMU.. might swap it onto my A2 rig to see if that sorts it..

Got some ND filters to try on GH4.. job for next week...

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I've only had one 4K job so far, a Red Bull mountain bike race, but to be honest I prefer the high bitrate 1080p. For TV work it is just brilliant and all that extra information is great in the edit.

Quinton

Just be careful what you read online with regards people saying you need to knock sharpness down to minus 5 and do this and that so you can bring it up later in post.
99% of us on here haven't really got a clue how to colour correct properly in post, so Cine-V for a lot of people may be the best option, especially if you just want good footage straight from the camera.

A lot of stuff you read online is for getting skin tones etc right, which is the complete opposite of what flying is about, 50% of the things we video will be sky, so concentrate and do a few tests yourself to get that right.
Try and use manual everything including white balance, just set it to K and dial it up until what you see on screen looks like what you are seeing with your eye, you won't be far off, last thing you want is things constantly changing.

Depending on what lens you use and where you live, get yourself a good 1-3 stop ND filter to allow you to get own to 1/50 - 1/100 shutter speed.
People usually say its much easier to get focus if you are around f11 or above, but for most lenses especially cheaper ones once you start to go over f8 sharpness starts to deteriorate.

1-3 stops above your widest aperture is usually best, and lets be honest how hard can it be to get good focus when we are flying quite high up.
Spend a day or 2 testing your camera and lenses with different settings, and you should start to find setting that you are comfortable with.

I keep saying this..is infinity really the best setting, its a safe setting but try looking up a few tutorials on landscape photography, and find out why they mostly use 1/3rd into the scene..then learn about hyperfocal distance and circle of confusion, its not all about being a good flyer, knowing your camera is just as important.

Holger

Just for my understanding, can the Zenmuse be used without a DJI flight controler?
Can it be used with different systems?
Thanks