(Another) RCEXPLORER Tricopter build

Debay777

I'm still gathering parts but my build will be the RCExplorer tricopter. So far the only design aspect I'm looking to alter is the body. I've enlarged it to 130% to open the bolt patterns to allow for the 1/2" dowels and to have more room for the multiwii FCB. I may go slightly shorter on the arms but only by about 10 cm or so.

At this point I have my gear picked out with the MW already purchased and in route from RTFQ's. I have the wood for the body and arms. Now to cajole the budget for the rest.

I'll be running the fire red esc from RTFQ and the DT750'S from HK. I think I'll be running the 11x4.7 props but I may go with the 10x4.7. Not sure yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
I really am looking forward to what you post, I currently have a ft Bat-Bone and am thinking about building one of Davids designs.

-Ben

Debay777

If you have the Bat your already ahead of me it would seem. It looks to be a much lighter and possibly stronger frame than the ply.

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
If you have the Bat your already ahead of me it would seem. It looks to be a much lighter and possibly stronger frame than the ply.
Its really nice, Just stay away from their original tilt assembly I will break and snap if you look at it wrong. (I went through 3 in a month)

-Ben

Debay777

I have seen a lot of tail assemblies and none have really impressed me like Davids. The one made of bits of the booms are okay but all of your moving parts are hinged in wood and that will develop slop after a while. The direct drive he came up with is to me the best and most responsive tail drive that a DIY project can hope for. There are better production models for sure and Davids is not without its faults, but it's easy to make, easy to set up, and parts can be had VERY cheap.

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
I have seen a lot of tail assemblies and none have really impressed me like Davids. The one made of bits of the booms are okay but all of your moving parts are hinged in wood and that will develop slop after a while. The direct drive he came up with is to me the best and most responsive tail drive that a DIY project can hope for. There are better production models for sure and Davids is not without its faults, but it's easy to make, easy to set up, and parts can be had VERY cheap.
I completely agree, I mean stay away from the ft bat-bone tilt.

Debay777

a0e1afd5b853ae9c6ba176e15d06095f.jpg

b2bbd3812f4f176f41f6267b085e91b5.jpg

Phase 1 complete

Debay777

Got it assembled now. Still waiting on the FC. Actually....I'm waiting for the about everything. Maybe I'll sell a kidney....

Debay777

Got my flight controller in. Man this thing is smaller than I had imagined. Everything looks good right out of the box. Even the compass seems to be about dead on. I'll be mounting it shortly. Pics to follow.

Debay777

Just a quick update. Whitespy esc's inbound.....finally. The last few dollars to complete the buuld are pending in my PayPal account so as soon as they are free I will be ordering the parts.

I sold my Orangerx T6 transmitter and purchased the Turnigy 9XR. I burnt the module out the first night. Yup.....left the antenna off while I learned the software. Oh, and it came with opentx on it. Much more sophisticated than the T6 I had. So, parts are trickling in, lessons are being learned, and the anticipation builds....

Debay777

Got the 9XR module installed. Took a long antenna from an old eflite transmitter and installed It in the handle and ran the end down into the module. I can't just pop the module out but I don't plan to remove it For a while anyway. The radio is clean on the back and sits nice and flat.

Debay777

Whitespy speed controllers were delivered today. Time to break out the soldering iron and start the wire harness and ESC mounting. Once some ebay money clears paypal my motors will be inbound.

Debay777

So, speed controllers soldered up. I had wanted to do a more streamlined setup but in the end I opted for the standard 2 power leads/3 motor leads all with 3mm barrels. I painted the wood and soldered/installed the harness. I also mounted the FCB, bluetooth module, and orangerx 6 channel receiver. I learned how to turn 1 3 way switch into a 6 way switch in the 9XR so 6 channels should work for now. Although the lemon 8 channel seems the better fit. In lemon fashion I removed the orange box from the rx and put some shrink wrap on it. So far I'm digging the simplicity of the EZ plug system. Goodbye pins.
6213bbbad0c6c69db6e82e83b3baa5e5.jpg
df84e756f65bc3485c05c2159734c548.jpg
3e8fa90dcc6d58ec0fcaecaebed0ba9e.jpg