DJI F550 Naza M V2 and Futaba T8J Acceleration on take off

Billy_Flies

Hi,
I rebuilt my DJI F550 after an epic crash and upgraded to Naza m V2. On redoing all the software and firmware and getting settings from a mate with the same setup, i find my hexa motors do not speed up after initialising and turning at low revs until the throttle hits 50% then it goes into high revs, but still on the ground. Past 55% it steps up a notch and very loud but no take off. I dont want to take it further as there is something wrong. the Acceleration should be incremental and smooth when accelerating from the low rev position.
\any ideas as to what settings are wrong, or heaven forbid what part is faulty.
Thanks in advance

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I believe that you're seeing a programmed behavior of the NAZA.

They want you to punch the throttle at takeoff to get clear of the ground. Many new flyers try to slowly increase the throttle to just barely get in the air. What this does is cause the MR to roll over and crash.

When you first throttle up, you probably have no response from 10% to 50%. Try punching it to 75% and immediately drop back to 25% to see if you can regain the lower ranges.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi,
I rebuilt my DJI F550 after an epic crash and upgraded to Naza m V2. On redoing all the software and firmware and getting settings from a mate with the same setup, i find my hexa motors do not speed up after initialising and turning at low revs until the throttle hits 50% then it goes into high revs, but still on the ground. Past 55% it steps up a notch and very loud but no take off. I dont want to take it further as there is something wrong. the Acceleration should be incremental and smooth when accelerating from the low rev position.
\any ideas as to what settings are wrong, or heaven forbid what part is faulty.
Thanks in advance

Sounds normal to me. It's a safety feature of the NAZA to prevent inputs on the ground (apparently).

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
A Lite with V1.0 firmware should be smooth, the V1 and V2 with newer firmware I would expect the updated takeoff to happen if using about V3.02 or later, what firmware is loaded? What reading do you get when you click on Check IMU Status in the Tools area.

I would go through the complete setup and run calibrations, etc.

Pete

Billy_Flies

Thanks to all for the assistance. I went for a flight today after 6 days of rain. On a full 4S battery i cranked it up to 100% throttle. I have never heard so much noise from the props and motors, yet no lift. Incidentally I changed from the graupner e props after my crash to the DJI self tightening props (grey E300 (code 9443)) for the DJI F550. I hope it is not these that are causing the non lift. And yes all motors are turning the right direction and correct props are on the correct arms.
It cant possibly be my first and 2nd level battery settings that are causing it to refuse to take off could it? But why i wonder is that after 1 single test the voltage dropped from 16.8 to 16.3. When i started up again I couldn't achieve maximum thrust. At sticks at 100% i was getting what was around 55% from the previous attempt.
PeteDee, the MC firmware is 4.02.IMU status says no need for calibration.

What I would really love to get hold of is some form of guide to setting up a Futaba T8J with the Naza M V2. Does such a step by step manual exist?
Thanks
Billy

cootertwo

I don't use the voltage thing on my Naza's, too unpredictable for me. I use a little battery alarm, and timer on my radio.:tennis:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Are you sure you don't have your props on upside down?

Have you calibrated your radio?

Thanks to all for the assistance. I went for a flight today after 6 days of rain. On a full 4S battery i cranked it up to 100% throttle. I have never heard so much noise from the props and motors, yet no lift. Incidentally I changed from the graupner e props after my crash to the DJI self tightening props (grey E300 (code 9443)) for the DJI F550. I hope it is not these that are causing the non lift. And yes all motors are turning the right direction and correct props are on the correct arms.
It cant possibly be my first and 2nd level battery settings that are causing it to refuse to take off could it? But why i wonder is that after 1 single test the voltage dropped from 16.8 to 16.3. When i started up again I couldn't achieve maximum thrust. At sticks at 100% i was getting what was around 55% from the previous attempt.
PeteDee, the MC firmware is 4.02.IMU status says no need for calibration.

What I would really love to get hold of is some form of guide to setting up a Futaba T8J with the Naza M V2. Does such a step by step manual exist?
Thanks
Billy

FlyGirl

I have to agree with everyone here... Either the props are on wrong or the motors are spinning the wrong way and the guys are right about the NAZA M V2. The takeoff is not linear, instead it jumps into the air and then you throttle back to 50% to gain a stable hover. Be careful here but when you throttle up to 25% or so, can you feel the air around the props to see if they are pushing air in the correct direction? I'm betting they are blowing air upwards...

Billy_Flies

Interesting tip Flygirl, will give it a try. Thanks. The props are definitely on right way up because they are the self tightening kind. And when I test each motor in the Naza software they spin in the right direction according to the image of the prop directions. But yes i cant help thinking it is trying to dig its way to Australia.
Have calibrated the radio jfro, but there are so many other settings that need to be done on the Futaba that I am not sure i have missed some vital (but not obvious) step.