Drone for Home Security

MDSecurityDrone

So I am new to drones and am turning to you guys for help. I currently live in a pretty typical two story home with neighbors about thirty feet away from my home on both sides. I have been looking into the idea of getting a drone for sort of a home security feature. I want a FPV style that I could use to check around the outside of the home if I heard a noise or something. I like the idea of being able to see what the drone is seeing and record in case it actually turned out to be something. I would want to be able to use it at night. I have seen aftermarket LED flashlights to attach around the drones camera but have not seen if it actually brightens it up enough so you can see through the camera when it's dark outside. I like the amount of accessories available and popularity of the parrot AR but have also looked at the Hubsan mini quad. I don't need anything to fancy but I don't want to waste my money. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

FlyGirl

I think by the time you charge a battery (they don't like sitting around fully charged), turn on the transmitter, turn on the quad, open the door, put on your goggles or turned on your screen, then opened the door to fly, you'd either be dead or the burglar scared away. :)

Dave_EP

Seriously, just install CCTV with IR cameras. It can then even record while you're out.

I've heard lots of reasons / excuses to want a drone, but CCTV would probably be cheaper, more effective, more reliable and can work even when noises don't happen and you are still asleep!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am so going to install ten in my house and have them swarm to attack intruders, I can't think of any way better to protect my family.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi Lauren, crazy no way, sort of our right to bear drones......

Doing much flying, got a mini yet?

Pete

FlyGirl

Hi Lauren, crazy no way, sort of our right to bear drones......

Doing much flying, got a mini yet?

Pete

Hi ya Pete! Lot's of flying this summer! A mini? Not yet! I plunked my 450 in a lake last month which fried one of the ESC's. So I decided to replace all four which leaves me with 3 decent ESC's to use in a tricopter so I think that's the next project and then a mini. My friend Shane has one he made that looks fun. Which one do you have?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi ya Pete! Lot's of flying this summer! A mini? Not yet! I plunked my 450 in a lake last month which fried one of the ESC's. So I decided to replace all four which leaves me with 3 decent ESC's to use in a tricopter so I think that's the next project and then a mini. My friend Shane has one he made that looks fun. Which one do you have?
Been getting a Spanky sorted but also built a Q400-X as well, both with Naze32 Acro. Waiting on some new Dominator HD's to arrive too. Disco Pro is still going strong, just got a quick mount to add so the GoPro is easier to install and remove. Have also done a bit of fixed wing flying recently, nice and relaxing compared to the very maneuverable mini.

FlyGirl

Have also done a bit of fixed wing flying recently, nice and relaxing compared to the very maneuverable mini.

Ha! Me too!! I bought a Radian glider, a Freewing Seagull, and a Cessna Corvalis... Like ya said, something different and relaxing!