Issues With Yaw Spinning At Full Throttle

BigPete

Hello. I have a newly build TBS Discovery with Naza M v2 and during full throttle i get yaw spinning to the left everytime in GPS & Attitude mode. Manual mode the quad will yaw to left and tilt down to the left rear. The quad flies perfectly when pushing low/mid throttle and all other aspects work well. Except i do get some yaw spinning very rarely when i am just idle hovering. I calibrated the ESCs & radio tx. Didnt help.

Any suggestions on what it might be or what else i can test to find the problem? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Check for a tight motor bearing, just because they are new does not mean they are perfect. Most motors are made in China and we know what the QC is like on that stuff.

Try swapping motors with the one in front or behind it, see if the problem makes your quad yaw in another direction.

BigPete

Hey bud thanks for the response, you are always helping me out. :) I tried out your suggestions and switched the rear motors with the left & right. Tested and it looked like it was almost gone at first, but still yawing to the left slightly(same direction as before). Then minutes later it started yawing hard to left again.

So I switched out the front motors(left with right). Tested and at first there was zero yaw at full throttle. The a few minutes later it started yawing again.

Not sure what to think about that. I parked the quad. Everything looked structurally intact with screws tights. ESCs were cool to touch. Motors had a hint of warmness.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Sounds to me a bearing is tight in one of them, when it warms up it could be getting tighter. Just a thought.. hard to say but I think that is what is going on. See if one of them is getting warmer then the rest, that would be a good indication, also get them warm and check to see what prop stops first, start the motors and do it again and see if the same one stops over and over again..

BigPete

Sounds to me a bearing is tight in one of them, when it warms up it could be getting tighter. Just a thought.. hard to say but I think that is what is going on. See if one of them is getting warmer then the rest, that would be a good indication, also get them warm and check to see what prop stops first, start the motors and do it again and see if the same one stops over and over again..
If it was a bearing it should yaw to the opposite direction when the motors are switched correct?

Tried a couple more things before work today.
-Switched the front motors, left and right. = No difference.
-Replaced the current 10x5 Graupners with 9x5 Graups. = No difference
-*** Now i replaced the current 3s 5000 lipo with a 4s 4500 batt. Entered in my 4s / 9x5 prop gain settings.
= This made a difference. The quad no longer yawed in GPS or Attitude mode. Full throttle. For the ettire batt life, about 11 minutes. But in manual mode the Discovery did the same yaw to the left with rear tilt with full throttle as before. But it was to a much lesser degree. What does that mean? How could going from 3s to 4s produce no yaw in GPS and Att mode? Something in the gain setting maybe? But i have tried many varied gain settings including yaw gains. Maybe it is to a much lesser degree of yaw movement, that is why GPS and Att modes are able to correct it, but still shows in manual mode?

OnestopRC, the rear motors and ESCs are a tad warmer than the front after flight. All props stop spinning at the exact same time, or very close, when disarmed.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
You would think so huh... can you post a video of what it is doing?

Yaw is caused by a few different things, normally a motor is weak or tight, possible a prop is loose, possible a motor lost one of the magnets within..... could be a weak ESC, did you try moving ESCs around?

My motors on my Disco Pro get warm at the rear too, mine is slightly heavy on the rear and I can't put my battery anymore forward but I do not or never have had yaw issues.

BigPete

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
That is acting like the rear right motor is retarded is some way, seems like it is slow to react and if the motor is ok, maybe a weak ESC. Did you move your ESCs around to see if this moves with it?. A weak capacitor in an ESC can do weird things, that is if you are sure your COG is center, I know you're slightly back heavy and would expect some rearward sag but not that.