Headed to London, wanting to fly...

Hey All,

I live in NYC and will be stopping in LDN for a long weekend as part of a bigger trip in the first half of August.

I'm bringing my quad (f450 w/ tarrot gimbal & gopro) and am wondering how they're perceived.
Will I be given a hard time if I try to get some shots of the city while flying over the Thames?

If Im given a hard time, will it be from the cops? or will it be from the people as well.

In NYC, whenever a cop sees me flying, he just tells me to bring it down.
When people see my flying, they think its the coolest thing and ask me a million questions.

What's the sentiment in the UK in general and in LDN specifically?

Thanks!
Chris

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It's mixed to be honest. People don't mind and we don't have the negative attitude towards 'drones' that the US has been struck by.

Don't fly over the Thames! The port authority has said no drones over the Thames.

Don't fly in central London, big no no unless you have permission or a license. There's a few super sensitive areas which will bring the wrath down on you.

I rarely see uniformed cops walking the street anymore, I think they reply on CCTV more than anything. Or they're speeding around in cars.

As long as you don't just startup on the side of a street or fly over peoples houses, or people themselves, you'll probably be okay. There's quite a few parks around but Londoners are quite protective over them, so be careful! Definitely don't fly in Hyde Park! Super big no no.

I would jump on a train and head out to the countryside.

Ironically I'm flying in London all week and the next, but there was much paperwork to do first!

I know, I know, I'm a boring stick-in-the-mud with all the no's! :nevreness:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
This is what the airspace over london looks like. You can imagine that the Houses of Parliament are right in the middle of all those overlapping red things...
attachment.php

Attachments

• LOndon.jpg
    LOndon.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 276

Thanks for the reply...
It seems like legislation is more dialed in over there.
NY is still grey so its possible to 'get away with' more if you are careful (safety and legally).
Even though the negative media attention makes it sound like a witch-hunt, if you are cool and careful you don't get too much hassle.

So, low key, low altitude, clandestine flights by the Eye, Tate Modern or Millennium Bridge would be a risky proposition?
The last thing I want is for my rig to get confiscated... or worse.

That's unfortunate since I'm staying on Blackfrairs by the South Bank (Southwark?).

Thanks
Chris

enak

In short, in the UK, if you fly within 150mtrs of any congested area (e.g. towns, cities, etc.) you are breaking the law. There are not too many areas in London you can do that and much of the airspace is further restricted. Without a permission none of the examples you have proposed would be allowed.

Of course there is lots that is worth visiting around South Bank; London Dungeon, IMAX, London Eye that are best seen with the naked eye.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The biggest reason to stay clear from the Thames (includes things like the London Eye), is that it is the UK's busiest helicopter lane (full size that is, not RC!).

The biggest reason to stay clear from the Thames (includes things like the London Eye), is that it is the UK's busiest helicopter lane (full size that is, not RC!).

There's another issue, and that is that all of central London is within the London Control Zone which extends from the surface to 2500'. It is Class 'A' airspace which means that you cannot fly there without an ATC clearance or other approval from the CAA. Hence the amount of time and hassle needed to get permission to fly. As previously suggested, get out of the city.