should I shoot video in manual focus?

wradmore

I've just been out with my XM8 and did some video using the gh3 and Zenmouse z15. I have noticed that when it pans or tilts or even moving the focus doesnot seem sharp but when it is not moving it seems more focused. I was using the I movie mode (automatic) with auto focus. Should I set the focus to manual and focus to infinity to get sharp video? Or can someone tell me the best settings to have it on.
Thanks

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Manual focus is the common one to use. Or you can use single-shot-focus where it focuses once when you start recording and maintains that focus for the duration of the recording.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
With the GH3 .mov is generally considered the best (or is that just me?). 72mb/s at 25fps offers the most info to work with in post.

iceman

You should always set manual focus and for most aerial shots this will be set at infinity however the problem you are experiencing when panning etc is more likely to be due to the compression used in AVCHD recordings. The critical issue is how much of the frame changes between frames (ie when panning), because AVCHD uses a keyframe-based compression. That means that it records full image information (albeit still compressed) only every so often, and in between these "key frames," only frame to frame differences are recorded. It furthermore limits the recording to particular data rate (variable up to 35Mbits/second for example), so if there's a lot of change happening between frames, a lot of data can get thrown out. On the other hand, if most of the image is the stationary, with only a small subject in motion, detail remains pretty good all over. The various hacks that allow higher constant bit rates reduce this effect however the GH2 will revert back to the factory variable bit rate when the HDMI is connected for video monitoring. The GH3 is somewhat better in this regard as it will record at high bit rates even with hdmi connected and .mov will also fair better than avchd, motion detail will still reduce with more image detail in moving shots, do a fast pan and you will see the detail reduce.

Last edited by a moderator:

wradmore

It seems that pinnacle studio 17 that I use doesnot support .mov files and it seems that premier doesnot either. What do you use? I see you can get a converter program but not sure if quality drops.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Premiere definitely does .mov files, or at least I have never had issues.

Buzz_Roavr

Yes it does, I've put together a video this morning for our local Primary School that involved two different types of movie files. Drag and drop or 'batch import'.

I tend to put different format footage in to different sequences and edit out from there to a first draft timeline.