3s vs 4s with e300 hexacopter

Pyromed1

Pyromed1
Hello, very new guy here.
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my F450 to a F550. I've been using 3s batteries with the quad. Now that I'm moving toward the Hexa, I have a few questions:
Will I benefit from switching to 4s batteries?
Can I switch back and forth between them?
Pros and cons to 4s?

Thanks,
Corey

genesc

I dont think there is a problem using either 3 or 4 cell. The 4 cell would give you more power. Maybe one of the pros can chime in on this as well.

Gene

willybgh

Thanks Gene, That's the impression I got too.

Would be nice to hear from someone that has experience in the difference between 3S and 4S. I am running Hyperion 3S 5000mah and get about 8 minutes with my F550 with tarot gimbal, GoPro and video transmitter.
Stock props installed. E300 propulsion.

Can someone chime in and let us know if 4S is better than 3S and why?

Thanks....

Chris

Cbergen

I fly 4s, using a 5000 mah pack, I get appx 12 minutes carrying the H3-3D, video downlink, and 2.4 Datalink on a Hexacopter with the e300 system.

I tested it with 3s, and it flew, but I could tell it didn't have the power, and the flight times were horrible..

I have a buddy with the flamewheel 550 hexa, only has the H3-3D on it, he sets his timer for 15 minutes and knows he has a 2 minute reserve... This with a 4s 5000 pack...

When you use more voltage, you need less amp to get the same watts. So with 4s will get more flight time and more RPMS also for the same amps. You probably can switch between, but you will have some trouble gettign use to each pack. Also if you have Naza and activate the voltage monitor you can not switch between 3s and 4s

Hood49

I have upgraded to 4S: more flight time and so much more fun to fly!
I am using 4S 4000 Mah lipo with 10 inch props on a quad. Get about 13-15 minutes flight time.