fail safe binding

louis14

I have a naza vR with an orangeRX R800X 8ch which integrates failsafe.
My question is: do I need to do fail safe binding if I use the home and landing feature of naza?
The preset failsafe binding uses the trottle,elevator,.. set at the binding so i think home and landing cannot function.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
The receiver failsafe and NAZA failsafe are two different things. It's a common mistake since they both use the term failsafe.

The receiver failsafe is for when you lose signal from your transmitter and your receiver outputs a default signal to the NAZA. When you bind, make sure all your transmitter switches are set to the NAZA failsafe positions (remember to have your throttle above 10%, 50% is best).

Does your receiver support full failsafe or just 'smart safe' which only controls the throttle but not the switches? Good idea to check this first.

louis14

So when I understand it correct this means when you switch the control mode to the naza fail safe;you execute the return to home and landing feature.
When you loose TX signal the receiver executes the receiver lfailsafe and uses the throttle set at failsafe binding.

When you connect assistant software, they say if you power off the TX then must the slider of the control mode go to failsafe:so you should think it exeutes naza failsafe
In my case the slider does not go to failsafe but I did not already he failsafe binding.

Benjamin Kenobi

Yes, correct, I think.

When you bind your transmitter have your switches set to activate your NAZA failsafe. Then when you try it in the assistant software (turning off the transmitter) you should see the NAZA failsafe activate. That's if your receiver has full failsafe. If only 'smart safe' then only the throttle will move to the binded position, which means in real life if you lose transmitter connection your aircraft will likely just hover in the same position but not return home (not good).

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
OK, this bit me today, I think.
My DX8 -> AR8000 connection probably went south today at about 750m out.
I tried to engage RTH on the DX8 (I had tested that yesterday and it worked), but probably because the signal had gone bad the RTH was ignored
I then figured I should power off the DX8 and hopefully that would trigger the RTH, but it seems the copter simply descended.
It did shut off the motors, and was in decent shape when I found it.
But my question is this: how do I make sure that RTH is triggered in case of a RC signal loss?
Here are photos of the aftermath.
I was deliberately over soft ground, but it kinda missed and ended up on a cliff. With the help of some iceplant and some as-yet-undiscovered lasso skills, was able to drag it up.
Damage was limited to one scratched-up prop and a lost 25mm CF tube scrap landing skidi’m also using 1.3gHz for FPV with no notch filter, so there’s a chance that had something to do with this at that range, although I did 700m yesterday with no such effects.
View attachment 19356 View attachment 19357

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 167

Benjamin Kenobi

Does your RTH activate in the assistant when you turn off the transmitter?

Why did you think the connection 'went south?'

I personally never initiate RTH by turning off the transmitter. That completely severs your link to the aircraft at a critical time.

Did you have GPS lock (no red flashes) when you took off?

Sorry, lots of questions as usual.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Does your RTH activate in the assistant when you turn off the transmitter?
Good question. I didn't know that was something I should try. :upset:
Why did you think the connection 'went south?'
The first weird symptom I noticed is my gimbal's tilt went wonky and it tipped up. I corrected it, but I think that was RC interference? But then my video started to break up. The DJI miniOSD was reporting that I was at 50m and holding with GPS when I lost video completely. I think she simply descended into the cliff where she lay until I found her.
I personally never initiate RTH by turning off the transmitter. That completely severs your link to the aircraft at a critical time.
Did you have GPS lock (no red flashes) when you took off?
I did wait for GPS lock and many blinky green LEDs (home lock) before I took off.
I knew I was going to push, distance-wise, and wanted to be protected. Sigh.
Sorry, lots of questions as usual.
I appreciate the help!

kasper22

Had the same problems you have, and ended up searching half a cornfield before i found my f550 :s

This is what you do to fix it :

Disable warnings on dx8 ( high trottle etc. )
Power up multicopter with bindplug in orange reciever, wait for the blinking yellow light . Then remove bindplug from reciever .
Set dx8 to what you want as failsafe (i use 50% throttle, gps mode and return to home switch on)
Hold trainer and power up dx8 to bind .

Check in assistant software that return to home ( named failsafe in assistant) kick in from all 3 modes (gps,atti,manual) when you switch off dx8

kasper22

After bind you can ofc set back the warnings you desire in dx8.
The important thing is to remove the bindplug before you bind.
If you bind with bindplug in reciever you get " smart bind " or whatever they call it.(everything but throttle sentered)