S1000 + 5D3 or GH4 - Mature enough yet?

Dave_EP

There are nothing but good reports about the S1000 frame. I am personally dubious about the A2........

Thanks. also had a lot chat with Carapau today and he's definitely put me off the A2 as well. Looks like the Wookong is the right way to go. I very much appreciate the feedback guys!

Also, I think the GH4 is the way to go too.

Dave_EP

Dave_EP...

If you're intending to operate commercially in the UK you need to be very aware of the upcoming revised CAA 'safety case' requirements for 7 - 20 Kg multirotors. It will impact everyone who operates in anyway that currently requires an exemption to the basic approved limits.
We fly an S1000/A2/ZenGH3 adapted to GH4. The extra resolution of the 4K image allows a bit of post production reframing which has proven really useful. This review of the GH4 is very informative.

andy

Thanks for the reply. As I said in the above post I had a long chat today that has pointed me in some specific directions and the safety case you refer to is actually a very encouraging development for all those willing to go the extra step to do things right and something I'm all in favour of.

I watched Philip's reviews on several cameras and had the pleasure of chatting directly with him on a couple of occasions. I've watch his GH4 review, also Dave Dugdale's and a couple of others. I've made the decision to trade one of my 5D3s for the GH4 and just need to figure out what the best glass will be for a combo of both aerial and feet-on-the-ground filming too.

Interesting that you're flying the A2 whereas lots of people are having problems. Have you seen any problems at all?

What is the total weight of your rig?

ZAxis

Our experience with the A2 has been OK so far. It's running v2.3 firmware which has improved ZenMuse horizon holding. We missed v2.2 out completely. It had too many bad vibes associated with it. The A2 was UK sourced in early March. It's being used on the S1000 frame for which it was designed and I think this is an important factor. A lot of reported problems happen when it's used on frames other than DJI.
The all up weight of our system is around 11kg.

andy

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Our experience with the A2 has been OK so far. It's running v2.3 firmware which has improved ZenMuse horizon holding. We missed v2.2 out completely. It had too many bad vibes associated with it. The A2 was UK sourced in early March. It's being used on the S1000 frame for which it was designed and I think this is an important factor. A lot of reported problems happen when it's used on frames other than DJI.
The all up weight of our system is around 11kg.

andy

Trust me, the failure of the A2 has nothing to do with the airframe. S1000s are just as susceptible as other frames. Of the various A2 failures I have had to deal with most have been on S1000 frames. Just to be clear- I am not saying anything is wrong with S1000s, far from it. What I am saying is that if an A2 fails, it is completely irrelevant to the frame it is being flown on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk