CAA Information Notice - Future requirement for a safety case assessment

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Basically, over 7 kg flights in congested areas will need to make a safety case to the CAA regarding the flight rather than the current application-type process.

There's loads more but layman's terms and CAA don't fit too well into the same sentence....

I like that they clarify in 3.2 that sub 7kg are exempt from the congested area rule. Many people still get confused by this.

Quinton

what worries me a bit is I am subscribed to any information I can get, however I had to find this out on facebook through another person.
Where exactly is information like this released to?

Wish they would stick to a single name as it is hard enough keeping up with all the abbreviations..
UAV, UAS, RPV, RPAS..or even drone, now they are SUA and SUSA!

Seems like it would be very sensible to get a machine up and running under 7KG, I actually had one with 8 motors, unfortunately its got an A2 FC in it, so its went on the back burner.
It could potentially make it a bit more dangerous as people may turn to quads to try and make things lighter which have no redundancy if there was a problem with an ESC/Motor

Benjamin Kenobi

I've struggled to keep mine under 7 kg. It's 6.9kg at the moment but I really want to use a GH3/4 instead of my GH2, but that adds another 100g! Bah! I refuse to go down to a single lipo set-up and have run out of weight saving ideas. Not having retracts saves quite a bit for me (DJI ones add almost 500g).

I would say keep a sub 7kg rig in your hanger. Many jobs are in congested areas and it would be a huge market to turn your back on.

iceman

So, I'd like to bet its going to be £2k a year to get your airframe checked? On a more serious note, they do seem to add confusion to the regulations, at 3.2 they say "SUA/SUSA of 7 kg or less,
are able to fly over or within 150 m of any congested area, however all of the other restrictions continue to apply (no overflight or within 50 m from persons etc)" So does this mean you can fly in a congested area at <7kg (if you have PFAW) without the need for an additional exemption?

Quinton

You don't really need to notify ATC if flying in controlled airspace when under 7KG, however they do recommend you do, as an extra courtesy safety precaution.

iceman

You don't really need to notify ATC if flying in controlled airspace when under 7KG, however they do recommend you do, as an extra courtesy safety precaution.

That's been in our ops manual from the get go, transparency and all.

Benjamin Kenobi

And don't forget you'll still need an Enhanced Non-Standard Flight clearance when operating within certain places in London (as printed at the bottom of your permissions). They are super quick to get and it's just an online form.

iceman

And don't forget you'll still need an Enhanced Non-Standard Flight clearance when operating within certain places in London (as printed at the bottom of your permissions). They are super quick to get and it's just an online form.
I thought you had to allow 21 days for this?

Benjamin Kenobi

That's just the wording on their website. In reality 7 days is plenty. They have turned mine around in a few hours on a couple of occasions.

Cheshirecat

That's me headed for trouble with a 9KG Skyjib then. Oh Boy!

I do get the Mass + Speed = Impact angle but the gritty part is (as already pointed out) Octos have better redundancy and the ammount of investment put's the operator into the "Im serious about this category" and goes a long way in avoiding the temptation to push things too far.
I am already looking at building a sub 7KG machine but i am sure i will struggle to stabilise a decent camera properly at that weight.

Benjamin Kenobi

That's me headed for trouble with a 9KG Skyjib then. Oh Boy!

I do get the Mass + Speed = Impact angle but the gritty part is (as already pointed out) Octos have better redundancy and the ammount of investment put's the operator into the "Im serious about this category" and goes a long way in avoiding the temptation to push things too far.
I am already looking at building a sub 7KG machine but i am sure i will struggle to stabilise a decent camera properly at that weight.

But your signature says a Zenmuse with NEX-7, you can fly this sub 7kg.

Cheshirecat

Not on a SkyJib X4

Airframe = 4.7 KG
Batteries (2 X 8300 6S) = 2Kg
Z15 with NEX7 = 2kg

8.7kg

What airframe do you mean Ben, S800?