MultiRotorForums.com 3 min gimbal testing standard

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,

For at least the last two years I've been wanting to mention this but it's always been something I've put off for one reason or another. We've seen camera gimbals go from rudimentary media spoilers to very advanced and increasingly affordable media magic makers in a very short amount of time but we still see the end products marketed in oh so vague ways. Does a two minute video of a helicopter hovering with a gimbal hanging under it really do anything to convince anyone to buy that particular gimbal? Does a video with 2 to 3 second clips edited together really demonstrate what a camera mount can do?

The idea I've had for a while is to introduce a standard three minute sequence of maneuvers to be flown/shot in one take without edited breaks to show everything you can expect if you decide to make a purchase.

Some ideas I've had.......

720 degree pan at full yaw followed by an instantaneous 720 degree pan in the opposite direction without hesitation at the reversal (horizon should be in view for reference)
Fast forward flight up to a fixed object followed by reversal to fast backward flight away from the object
Fast lateral flight with reversing maneuver with a fixed object (providing a horizontal/level reference) in view
Wind tolerance, all of these can be done in windy conditions to further emphasize the credibility of the equipment
demonstration of tilt limits (full up to full down)
payload limits demonstration (small cameras to large cameras, might make the non-edited requirement harder to accomplish unless the standard is done with different camera loads as separate 3 min flight tests)
etc.
etc.
etc.

Ideas? Additions?

Old Man

I like that! Everyone selling a gimbal has the greatest that's ever been but few really provide much demonstration to validate the claim. A base test standard would be a very good thing.

Gimbal test for return to level and jello

Hi everyone,

For at least the last two years I've been wanting to mention this but it's always been something I've put off for one reason or another. We've seen camera gimbals go from rudimentary media spoilers to very advanced and increasingly affordable media magic makers in a very short amount of time but we still see the end products marketed in oh so vague ways. Does a two minute video of a helicopter hovering with a gimbal hanging under it really do anything to convince anyone to buy that particular gimbal? Does a video with 2 to 3 second clips edited together really demonstrate what a camera mount can do?

The idea I've had for a while is to introduce a standard three minute sequence of maneuvers to be flown/shot in one take without edited breaks to show everything you can expect if you decide to make a purchase.

Some ideas I've had.......

720 degree pan at full yaw followed by an instantaneous 720 degree pan in the opposite direction without hesitation at the reversal (horizon should be in view for reference)
Fast forward flight up to a fixed object followed by reversal to fast backward flight away from the object
Fast lateral flight with reversing maneuver with a fixed object (providing a horizontal/level reference) in view
Wind tolerance, all of these can be done in windy conditions to further emphasize the credibility of the equipment
demonstration of tilt limits (full up to full down)
payload limits demonstration (small cameras to large cameras, might make the non-edited requirement harder to accomplish unless the standard is done with different camera loads as separate 3 min flight tests)
etc.
etc.
etc.

Ideas? Additions?

Actually I just did a similar test on my Feiyu-Tech gimbal this past Monday.
It is mounted on my Y-6 and I tried rapid yaw's, fast forward back and a quick pull-up.
Rapid climb and and rapid decent. There are no edits in the video.

Y-6 wooden Tri-copter (711 mm spread)
6 HK 2836-9 950 motors w/ balanced Gemfan props
3S 5000 40C battery (With mixed flying I get about 9 Min. Hover only about 13.)
Feiyu Tech G3 2 axis gimbal from Helipal.com http://www.helipal.com/feiyu-g3-brushless-gimbal-for-gopro-hero-3.html
Hero 3+ Black 1080 60fps
Spektrum Tx, Rx. pitch control on the knob.

Wind was light with gust to 10 mph.

The only thing I didn't do was tilt but I had done that before.
This was shot with about a 10 degree downward angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKT6CNm9vs&list=UUnpOBjyPWnu0-dREP0Rv8Hg&feature=share

I have a Tarot Gimbal and frankly I like the Feiyu better because it is fully pitch controllable with the knob
and the end points are adjustable from the Tx where as I can only get the Tarot to travel 90 degrees with no stopping along the way. (I can't get my computer to recognize the Tarot.)
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the performance of this gimbal.