Martinez Gimbal Controller

mbowser

I just bought a cheap Martinez gimbal controller to pair with the Klinkeraerospace brushless gimbal. I am having a terrible time tuning this thing and have done everything I can think of with no luck. The main issue I'm having is that the IMU sensor keeps leveling 90 degrees to the horizon and I'm wondering if there is some offset I can set in the BRGui application to get it to level. I had it once, but didn't save it properly and I'm unable to recreate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to gimbal:
http://klinkeraerospace.com/ffblg-gimbal.html

Link to controller:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Gimbal_Stabilization_Control_Board_w_IMU.html

You have chosen the most challenging BGC that I know of! It does work but it is an open source Arduino product.

I own several and configure them for others as well. You really have to dig deep, not skip any steps etc. and use their very latest firmware on the SourceForge web site.

Also I recommend adding the two resistors to the back of the board as per the instructions so that the firmware can monitor the incoming voltage so as to automatically adjust the % PWM. If you are using it for a Hero GoPro there are recommended settings that are in the ballpark for the tuning parameters except for one item. Some of the Brushless gimbals require that the camera IMU be mounted with the x, y or z direction reversed. Make sure you get that clear in your mind by looking for the small white dot on the imu chip then re-orienting the x, y or z appropriately.

PID loop control is never easy.

If you consider your personal time to be of significant value, next time choose the AlexMos BGC.

I just bought a cheap Martinez gimbal controller to pair with the Klinkeraerospace brushless gimbal. I am having a terrible time tuning this thing and have done everything I can think of with no luck. The main issue I'm having is that the IMU sensor keeps leveling 90 degrees to the horizon and I'm wondering if there is some offset I can set in the BRGui application to get it to level. I had it once, but didn't save it properly and I'm unable to recreate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to gimbal:
http://klinkeraerospace.com/ffblg-gimbal.html

Link to controller:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Gimbal_Stabilization_Control_Board_w_IMU.html

mbowser

Thanks for the help, this has definitely been a challenge and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with respect to the IMU sensor leveling to the 'y' plane instead of horizontal on the 'x' plane. I'm using the latest firmware version from SF and even went so far as to modify one of the offset vars in the code before re-flashing(without success). I'm going to have another go at it as soon as I can carve out a few hours of time. As far as personal time of significant value, yes it is, but I love cracking puzzles like this and will continue to plug away until I get it right. The PID settings haven't been the main issue, I can get it to stabilize smoothly on both the roll and pitch axis, it's the IMU orientation that has me flummoxed.

Also, I haven't seen any documentation for adding resistors to the board, if you could point me to a link that would be great.

Thanks again.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Latest FW version is now 50 - 217. Whether you use this or the previous fw releases, when you unzip the files on to your hard drive, you should see a subdirectory that contains three PCB schematic photos c/w instructions for soldering in these two resistors. It is a simple voltage divider circuit. Reversing the "z" vector is only the first step, you may also need to reverse one or both motor directions.

Thanks for the help, this has definitely been a challenge and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with respect to the IMU sensor leveling to the 'y' plane instead of horizontal on the 'x' plane. I'm using the latest firmware version from SF and even went so far as to modify one of the offset vars in the code before re-flashing(without success). I'm going to have another go at it as soon as I can carve out a few hours of time. As far as personal time of significant value, yes it is, but I love cracking puzzles like this and will continue to plug away until I get it right. The PID settings haven't been the main issue, I can get it to stabilize smoothly on both the roll and pitch axis, it's the IMU orientation that has me flummoxed.

Also, I haven't seen any documentation for adding resistors to the board, if you could point me to a link that would be great.

Thanks again.