Planning on Parallel Batteries

Avenger

In search of extra flight minutes I'm intending to put 2 11.1 5500MaH 3S 35c LiPo batteries in parallel.

Has anyone got experience of doing this, any advice would be welcome.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yes, it's very common to put two lipos in parallel. All you need is a parallel harness thingy.

Can your aircraft handle the weight of lipos that heavy?

Avenger

Yes, it's very common to put two lipos in parallel. All you need is a parallel harness thingy.

Can your aircraft handle the weight of lipos that heavy?

I have a DGI 550 hexa so it should handle the extra weight.
Is that what the Ecalc tool is for, it looks quite complicated with lots of fields to fill-in
have you used it

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I would recommend going 4S instead of the heavy underpowered 3S route. You'll instantly get longer flight times and the components will run cooler with 4S lipos.

I'm not convinced an F550 would handle all that weight very well. It would be sluggish and heavy. A 4S 5000mah lipo would give you a nice 9 minutes of flight.

Avenger

I would recommend going 4S instead of the heavy underpowered 3S route. You'll instantly get longer flight times and the components will run cooler with 4S lipos.

I'm not convinced an F550 would handle all that weight very well. It would be sluggish and heavy. A 4S 5000mah lipo would give you a nice 9 minutes of flight.

Thanks,
I've got 7 batteries
3S
3750MaH
2 X 5500MaH

4S
3350Mah
5000MaH
2 X 5200MaH

When using the parallel batteries option I will only be looking for steady hovering to film athletic and other sporting events from a safe distance. The other batteries will be used for more adventurous distance flying

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Corgi

I'd still stay with the 4s, as I think the f550 flies better with them. You could parallel your 3350mAh with another of the same, giving you 6670mAh, which with that frame should last 10mins+. I have heard of people loading up the flamewheels with multiple and larger batteries, but they have often extended the arms and are using better motors. I agree with Benjamin that it would be more beneficial to have the power and manoeuvrability up your sleeve, just in case.

You could also look to lighter batteries. Figure out your amp draw, then see what c-rating you require, and take it from there.

Avenger

I'd still stay with the 4s, as I think the f550 flies better with them. You could parallel your 3350mAh with another of the same, giving you 6670mAh, which with that frame should last 10mins+. I have heard of people loading up the flamewheels with multiple and larger batteries, but they have often extended the arms and are using better motors. I agree with Benjamin that it would be more beneficial to have the power and manoeuvrability up your sleeve, just in case.

You could also look to lighter batteries. Figure out your amp draw, then see what c-rating you require, and take it from there.

thanks FC,
as a beginner all this is great advice and helps me move along in the right direction while I'm learning.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Flying with 2 batteries is always good due to redundancy. Weight is your key issue though so don't go too large. Doubling capacity doesn't mean double the flight time due to the extra weight of the batteries. You may, if lucky get 50% extra flight time at a guess for doubling capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk