bench power?

jer

So I quick changed my lipo last night so I can power up the quad, bind the rx/tx, connect the usb check for connection etc.
Seems its not good to have the lipo all changed up for a period of time...

Would connecting a normal 12v source be better then using the lipo?
I havent seen this question come up or anyone saying the normal as I also see a lipo powering the quad while on the bench.

Power it up for the hour, then when done drain it to storage mode then sleep? ha... I have a 2yr old when he sleeps I sleep i cant be waiting 2hours!! =)

thoughts?

thanks!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
LiPo's are surprisingly good at being used, just don't discharge them too much and they will be fine, a couple of cycles is going to make no measurable difference to the pack.

Grab a cell checker to check from time to time and attach a pack alarm if you are using them on the bench for long periods.

Cheers

Pete

Toymaker

Crashologist
I use both methods. I have a variable voltage power supply on my bench capable of 5-100 VDC. It's made up of two older 700 watt Sola Copper line power supplies. I have a cable with a battery connector on it so I can plug in the model.
I also use Lipo's for the same thing. During setup I have used the batteries for only partial discharges many many time. I just charge it back up before it gets below 3.4V a cell. I have Lipos that are 4 -5 years old and still work great.

A normal!! 12 Volt source might not be adequate for two reasons:
1) Inadequate - instantaneous current available
2) Too much ripple in the dc power supply (most electronic devices designed for DC power cannot tolerate ripple in the power supply).

However if you choose a high quality 12 VDC power supply, you should be OK. Keep in mind that you can only get 12 amps continuous from your AC mains from residential wiring.
To get more current, you need to feed your power supply with a two pole breaker to get 24 amps which means your power supply is getting 240 volts input. Note: That the breakers are designed to protect your house wiring and not the load. Oversizing breakers will result in an electrical fire etc.

So I quick changed my lipo last night so I can power up the quad, bind the rx/tx, connect the usb check for connection etc.
Seems its not good to have the lipo all changed up for a period of time...

Would connecting a normal 12v source be better then using the lipo?
I havent seen this question come up or anyone saying the normal as I also see a lipo powering the quad while on the bench.

Power it up for the hour, then when done drain it to storage mode then sleep? ha... I have a 2yr old when he sleeps I sleep i cant be waiting 2hours!! =)

thoughts?

thanks!

econfly

I am using a BK Precision model 1901 power supply for bench work. For firmware updates, testing, etc., you can limit current availability (e.g., set the voltage to, say 22.2v for 6S power, but only allow an amp of current -- plenty for setting flight control parameters, but too little to allow the motors to spin up). This is a decent quality bench power supply with minimal ripple/noise. I've had no issues using it to power RC equipment. Amazon link below:

http://amzn.com/B005J6LLTO