Visit to Brooks Institute of Photography in Ventura CA

dazzab

Although I'm living in Australia now, I try to get back to California to visit family from time to time. This time around I decided that I would visit Brooks Institute in Ventura where I received my degree in 1977. For some time now I've been wondering how digital photography would have changed the way that photography is taught. I also wanted to check out if they had any involvement with UAVs and aerial photography going on.

I had a fantastic time during my visit. Rather than repeat it all here, if you are interested I put a blurb about it on my blog at http://dazza.id.au.

Short summary is that they have moved from Santa Barbara where I studied to a fantastic new facility in Ventura. We flew my hexa in a large sound stage due to it being far too windy outdoors. That worked out great.

I really pushed the staff and student to check out his forum as well. I also suggested that they contact a few of you to visit and perhaps demo things for the students. Those of you close by would probably really enjoy it.

Cheers.

wrigbay

Graduated from Brooks in 1989, haven't seen the new campus in Ventura yet. I'm in the process of deciding whether to get a multicopter for commercial purposes or just as a hobby. I have several issues that weigh heavily on my mind, buy a rtf rig, crashing, fly ways and learning curve? I wouldn't even contemplate on flying in a populated area until I am capable. Do you use your multi for commercial shoots?

Cheers

dazzab

Do you use your multi for commercial shoots?
Cheers
Not yet but I'll be doing CASA (Australia's FAA) certification when I return in June so that I can. Commercial shooting wasn't actually my priority but I do need to get some of my investment back. Also, you can't fly in many of the cool places in Australia, such as national parks, without public liability insurance and you can't get that without being licensed by CASA. Right now training can cost up to $5,000 and insurance is around $5,000 annually so it's not something you would do unless you were very motivated. Everyone says that those costs will come down but there's an association of licensed operators here working hard to make it a fairy exclusive club. I assume to protect their investment but they say it's to ensure safety.