Naza M V2 Start Up and Throttle Problem

sbrunt123

Hello All

I have a problem that I am hoping somebody can help me with. I have just built a Tarrot Hexicopter with Turnigy 1100 kv motors and Mystery 70A speed controllers and have run the Naza software assistant, set up by the book. I have watched every video available to help me with the configeration and calibration of my new Futaba T8J. Everything on the Naza assistant checks out fine but unfortunately it does not allow me to arm the motors in the usual way i.e. both sticks down the right or to the left but was is happening I have the throttle stick down to the left and the rudder stick goes up to the top right before the motors will fire up and then the motors run at 50% full power and then will run to 100% but bringing the power back down to 10 to 20% does not happen.

Can somebody please help me with this problem as I had a full head of hair when I started!!

I have checked the end points of my throttle, everything seems to be okay and I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

Hi Steve,
I will apologise in advance for asking all sorts of basic/dumb questions :)
In the assistant software, do the sticks move in the directions indicated? What mode are you flying? (In mode 2 my throttle and rudder are on the same stick).
Have you calibrated the ESCs (those are some BIG controllers)?

Charles.

sbrunt123

Hi Charles

I was under the assumption I was in Mode 2, being very new to this game I am still learning as I am going along. I wanted a big machine to lift my DSLR camera and I know this is more than capable to do that. I have calibrated my ESCs but it still does the same, my throttle stick is on the left hand side in all directions from the right stick.
I thought the best way to learn about Hexacopters was to build one. I will check my calibration of the ESCs again as you say just to make sure.

I have read the manuals and videos I could do them backwards but I seem to have missed something. This morning I did have the machine outside and I thought I had sorted the problem but unfortunately at just over 50% power when I fired it up I broke 5 of my rotors so now have to order some more. Next time I will make sure it is at a decent idle speed first. No damage done to the machine itself thank goodness!

Thanks for your input Charles I will check the ESCs again. Better to be safe than sorry.

Many thanks
Steve

Bluerex

Maybe check orientation of there FC and triple check the numbers in the GPS antenna mounting config (watch for the negative numbers).
Also maybe check motor numbering against the motor diagram in the manual- use the motor check option in the assistant WITHOUT props attached :)

It's a bit late now, but I think the Wookong might have been a better choice for a bigger copter than the Naza. Lots more money but they are designed for the bigger craft, but it should still fly.

Just my 2c :)

Good luck

Charles.

Bluerex

I'd like to hear from someone using those 70A ESC too. They sound really big (your motors are rated at 50A max) and I don't know what programming options are available for them… did they come with a programming card?
By all means get it flying with the Naza, but I would want something smarter holding my DSLR in the air :)

C

cootertwo

Very similar problem here. Mini quad with Sunnysky 2600kv motors and T-motor 20 amp ESC's and Naza Lite. Arms at about 50% throttle, and will go up from there. However when all 4 motors are connected to the throttle on the receiver, they all act normal. I too have been pulling hair for 3 days! This morning, I'm going to try something I read about Naza not liking "some" ESC's and requiring the red "power" wire on each ESC to be disconnected, as my Naza Lite gets it's power from it's own bec, so to speak.

Update.... tried the red wire thing, no difference...............:livid:

Last edited by a moderator:

sbrunt123

Hi Charles No they did not come with a programming card but the paper work that the motors came with said the would need 70A speed Controllers so that's what I got!
right or wrong it one powerful machine. I have rechecked my ESCs individually they work fine. Together its a no go?? Haven't checked my GPS again but will do this later today if I get time, At the moment I am wondering if it will ever get off the ground.

Slightly bewildered Steve.

sbrunt123

Attachments

• Tarot FY680.jpg
    Tarot FY680.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 283

cootertwo

Funny, I went the other way. KK2 to Naza. Finally got mine flying with different ESC's. It still has a strange motor start up though. Most of the time only 2 motors run on start up, but the other 2 kick in with a little throttle, and it fly's beautiful. I plan on putting the KK2 board on something a little larger than a mini 250, as the mini's seem to be very touchy. The KK2 is a perfect way to learn/understand the PID thing, cause they are so easy to program with just the 4 buttons.

sbrunt123

Hi all Everything is running Great now Both Sticks ARM the right way and have managed to get my idle speed down and is looking fine.
Made too changes to my set up reduced the size of my battery down from 18.5 to 11.1 on to a 3 cell and fitted a 9" Prop instead of 12"
and now all systems are go.

Thanks to every one for there input

Once again thank you all STEVE.

Now a happy flyer.