Help! Sunnysky 2208 2600kv & T-motor ESC's

cootertwo

I hope this is just something stupid, I'm over looking. Setting up a QAV250 with sunnysky motors and T-motor ESC's. First I was using a new kk2 board. Motors start, but go crazy. Tried all kinds of settings, no good. So I put in a new Naza lite, that I have setup in several other quads, no problem. Now when I arm motors, they go to approx 1/2 to 3/4 throttle right off the bat. I've read about the sunnysky's having problems with some esc's, is this what I'm experiencing? Totally at a loss. Going to take a break, before I toast something. And this is just when I "thought" I was bigining to get the hang of this stuff!:dread:

cootertwo

I don't know what's going on, perhaps I've lost my mind. Yes, I did calibrate the esc's. For the T-motor ESC's with the sunnysky motors, I have the program card. Setup another QAV250 with T motors (MT2206-13 kv2000) and T motor 12amp ESC's. hooked up the KK2 board. Throttle acting ok, but I think I have the motors wrong, or something. Seems to want to act right, aileron left/right, elevator forward, backward. But if I give it enough throttle to try to lift off, (while steadying it with my hand,) it will start to lift, then go nuts, oscillating all wacky. With the other, with sunnysky's and T-motor ESC's if I connect all motors to throttle channel on receiver, throttle works as it should, from slow to wide open. But when I connect either the KK2.2 or Naza, everything goes nuts. I'll sleep on it. Maybe it's sun spots. Tomorrows another day:highly_amused:

cootertwo

OK, after a nights sleep, got the one with the KK2.2 board flying. Watched a bunch of videos and found out with these "mini" quads, you have to keep the gains pretty low. Still have tuning to do, but it flys, and is stable on self leveling mode. Now to tackle the one with the Sunnysky motors and T-motor ESC's. Got to be something simple, I hope, like I said, if I connect all 4 esc's to the throttle of my receiver, the throttle acts as it should, so I believe this is telling me that the esc's and motors are getting along with each other. Now I trudge on....

cootertwo

OK, guess I'm talking to myself, but I'm now wondering if the too fast start up with the Naza Lite/Sunnysky motors/T-motor ESC's, might be that I need to disconnect the red wires from the ESC's ??? Any thoughts ???

cootertwo

OK tried the red wire thing, no difference at all. Stumped at the moment.................
ESC's hooked directly to throttle channel on receiver, can go from barely turning, to full throttle. Hooked up to Naza. and starts 1/2 throttle, even with Naza start set as low as it will go. Tried bumping throttle end points from 100% to 150%, no difference. It's got to be something I'm not seeing, and definitely not understanding...........

SoCal Blur

What flight mode are you starting in? Some FC's don't start until 1/2 throttle in certain flight modes / conditions.

cootertwo

I've tried all the modes, etc. Just tried 3 different make/model motors, and all 3 seemed to start up very high, so it must be something to do with the T-motor ESC's. I have some other ESC's coming in the mail, so I will wait till they get here. Working on another QAV250, with T-motor 2206, 2000kv, with Tiger motor 12 amp ESC's, Naza Lite. Everything works right. Very stable as it is now. Going to put the GPS on it tomorrow, and wire up my FPV camera and TX, and fly it with my Skyzone goggles!

The problem with the other one, is the motors are going at least 1/2 throttle or more when you arm them. Stick all the way back! It will go straight up if you don't hold it down! Tried lowest startup in Naza assistant, no change. Very weird. Tried all kinds of settings for the ESC's (I have the card for them) no difference, no matter what I try. But like I said, if connected straight to the throttle channel of the receiver, I can take them from nothing, with the stick back, to wide open, stick forward. No jumps skips, very smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

That makes me think its some setting in the FC. That's the variable. It works correctly from the RX - that means the ESCs are talking correctly to the motors, right? It's only when you hook it up to the FC that things start going wrong.

cootertwo

That makes me think its some setting in the FC. That's the variable. It works correctly from the RX - that means the ESCs are talking correctly to the motors, right? It's only when you hook it up to the FC that things start going wrong.

Exactly. Thanks for the suggestion. If it is the FC, it's the first bad Naza Lite I've come across, and I have 6 of them. Also, it does the same thing with a brand new KK2 board, so that kinda knocks that idea out. It's blowing my mind for sure.

SoCal Blur

Exactly. Thanks for the suggestion. If it is the FC, it's the first bad Naza Lite I've come across, and I have 6 of them. Also, it does the same thing with a brand new KK2 board, so that kinda knocks that idea out. It's blowing my mind for sure.

So if it does the same with the KK2 board than it narrows it down even more to the radio.

Here's what we know:

1) ESC's are calibrated and when connected directly to the RX, operate properly
Conclusion: ESC's and Motors are communicating properly so it's unlikely that there is a compatibility issue.

2) Problem manifests when any FC (Naza, KK2) is introduced into the mix.
Conclusion: it is unlikly that the issue is related to the FC since two completely different types of FCs exhibit the same issue

Overall conclusion: The common denominator is the Radio. It could be how the Flight Modes are set up or some other setting in the radio that causes the instructions being set to the FC that result in the issue.

Here's what I would suggest: Start from a clean slate. Create a new "model" profile in the radio with the bare minimum. Throttle, Pitch, Roll, Yaw with all settings at default. No filght modes, Manual mode only. Not GPS, no Auto-Level, no Altitude mode, etc. Then see if the issue still exists.

cootertwo

SoCal Blur
I really appreciate the help. I just checked, and my ESC's I ordered (5 each of 2 different makes) are at the post office, so after I pick them up, I'm going to try them and see what we will see. I have basically the same setup on the same radio, (DX8) with another QAV250, but with different motors and ESC's, and it fly's and acts normal. Fingers and toes crossed!

SoCal Blur

I suppose there is a possiblity of a compatibility issue between the ESCs and the FC that I handn't considered.

cootertwo

OK, put 4 of these ESC's in there, and she's alive !!!
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/sp...rmal-esc-with-rapidesc-fw-for-multirotor.html

Still some strange quirks to work out. Not all the motors start at arming, but the 2 that don't, fire up with a nudge in the throttle. I suspect I have the startup in Naza assistant now set too low. Just hovered a whole 2200 battery pack through it, sittin here in my iddy biddy living room. Naza Lites are sooo easy to setup, and so stable without all the tuning that other boards require. When I get both of these new QAV250's sorted out and finished, I'll post a video. Thanks for the help SoCal Blur:)

cootertwo

Thanks, that video was in GPS mode. You ought to hear those Sunnysky's scream in manual. Still have to tidy up wires, etc.:nevreness: