Failsafe (yet again)

poseidon2

Posted this in another area but got no response so I'm having a go in this dedicated area. Apologies.
Failsafe:cower: When I've got the set up linked to Naza Assistant and I switch off the TX the throttle goes to just over 50% (as set in the Spektrum RX) which is nice! BUT when I move my 3 position switch to failsafe (with the TX on) the throttle goes to zero. Again, I think this is probably correct but is it? Reassurance needed please before I try failsafe in anger!:dread:

Thanks

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey mate! This is wrong, don't attempt to fly!

I can only speak from my experience, naturally, but the throttle should be above at least 10% for failsafe to work. I have mine set to 50%.

How do you activate failsafe? Through a mix?

Usually people have the reverse experience, where flipping the switch is fine but turning off the tx results in 0% throttle, this is a binding issue.

Any help?

Tahoe Ed

Posted this in another area but got no response so I'm having a go in this dedicated area. Apologies.
Failsafe:cower: When I've got the set up linked to Naza Assistant and I switch off the TX the throttle goes to just over 50% (as set in the Spektrum RX) which is nice! BUT when I move my 3 position switch to failsafe (with the TX on) the throttle goes to zero. Again, I think this is probably correct but is it? Reassurance needed please before I try failsafe in anger!:dread:

Thanks

If you are using a switch to move to failsafe, I am assuming that your are flying and the throttle is above 10%. You will be fine as long as you don't drop the throttle to less than 10% and then hit the switch.

poseidon2

Oh no! Too late, I HAVE been flying. Everything seems to work as expected (thanks to your previous advice) but have steered clear of failsafe. Like I say, I have my AR8000 RX failsafe set for loss of signal. In the Naza Assistant I have my 3 position flight mode switch (on a DX8) set to GPS/Atti/Failsafe. I went for the failsafe on this switch rather than manual as I don't think I will ever use manual. Is something staring me in the face that I'm doing wrong? I've visited and re-visited my settings a thousand times but nothing jumps out. What's the way forward?
PS Pleased I asked this at this stage coz I've got all the FPV stuff on the bench ready to fit. That would have made an even bigger hole in terra-firma/wallet!
Cheers

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hmmm, I'm not sure.

At least it's flying well! So it is just in the assistant program that the throttle drops to 0%? Are you flying in HELI mode?

I also have failsafe instead of manual mode. I just change one end of the dual rate to get manual for calibration.

Maybe a screenshot of the assistant in and out of failsafe? Never know what we'll see, probably nothing.

poseidon2

Benjamin K. I set the whole thing up in 'Acro' (would be fixed-wing normally?) I'll see if I can do some screen shots, if I can figure out how to. Not sure what it would show tho, throttle drops to zero when failsafe is activated and that seems to be that. However a fresh pair of eyes..........who knows. Thanks for your efforts though.
Is it feasible to lift into a hover a foot off the ground and hit failsafe? Would it rise to the pre-set height then do its stuff or fall like a stone but not very far?
Tahoe Ed. Your idea crossed my mind but the fear factor holds me back still.
I'm going to connect it to the Naza Assistant for the hundredth time and have another look, can anyone out there do the same and report back?

poseidon2

Sorted! Just tried out the switched failsafe and it works fine. From a low hover the multi rises to a set height and returns, from height it drops and pauses then returns. Every return was no more than 2 metres from home. Didn't try loss of signal failsafe but that looks to work logically in Assistant. Don't know what all the fuss was about!

JimM

This is my understanding of this... If I am incorrect, please please point it out! This topic is too important for any lack of understanding:-

Loss of signal failsafe will use the receiver failsafe throttle setting you set when binding your tx. i.e if your tx is set to 50% when you bind your Tx, the receiver will tell the fc your throttle is at 50% if the control signal is lost.

Switched failsafe will use the current throttle setting on your throttle lever.

On a related note, I have just converted my throttle to spring rest at 50% so presumably if I'm hands off the throttle and switch to failsafe it will be 50%.

However! I'm using firmware 5.22 which uses direct linear readings for the throttle and the motor speed is too high and requires care to hold the throttle down for that initial motor arm to takeoff period.

I had upgraded to 5.26 which l would prefer to use as I believe it uses the mode where takeoff is achieved at over 50% throttle but no increase until then. but the issues I read about with intermittent lost GPS lock with 5.26 had me running scared so I reverted back to 5.22.

Is anyone else using a spring loaded centre throttle with a wkm with firmware 5.22 and what are your experiences?...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

I also have failsafe instead of manual mode. I just change one end of the dual rate to get manual for calibration.

PMJIH, but you guys who are not programming a Manual mode switch will most likely regret that decision if you ever have a fly-away. I like GPS-ATTI-MAN on a right hand side 3 position switch (where I would noramally have a flight mode switch for a plank or pod and boom heli) and use a 2 position switch of Failsafe. There are other uses of manual mode like for AP and if you are ever in a drag race :tennis: with your flying buddies. Just my $0.2

poseidon2

chipwich. Now that I've proved my failsafe I'm fancying setting the 3 position switch to do 'manual' and setting/mixing a 2 position switch to do failsafe. Any good sources/youtube's how to do this for a Spektrum DX8 bearing in mind this is still pretty new stuff to me?

JimM

PMJIH, but you guys who are not programming a Manual mode switch will most likely regret that decision if you ever have a fly-away. I like GPS-ATTI-MAN on a right hand side 3 position switch (where I would noramally have a flight mode switch for a plank or pod and boom heli) and use a 2 position switch of Failsafe. There are other uses of manual mode like for AP and if you are ever in a drag race :tennis: with your flying buddies. Just my $0.2

If I lose GPS, can't I just switch to Atti to maintain control? Assuming that flyaways are mainly caused by GPS issues. If it's loss of tx or interference then manual mode is also not going to be much help... or is it?. . . I'm always ready to learn ...

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

Forunately, I've never had a fly-away. I've lost control and watched it go into Failsafe, only to be reaquired when in range. But, from what I have read in the fly-away threads, manual mode is the most reliable way to regain control.

JimM

I've avoided manual mode on the commercial rig so far.
I've flown manual on the Phantom a number of times without mishap which I must admit is great fun but I think too risky for my level of flight skills on an expensive rig.

JimM

As I said earlier... I'm always ready to learn... There certainly does seem to be a school of thought that manual mode is THE way to recover from problems... I may have to review my opinion on this one and get those manual flying skills improved :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Even if you are not confident flying in manual mode it is worthwhile trying if you think you are in a flyaway situation, better to crash land locally than in some far off unknown place where there is no chance of recovery.

Pete

chipwich

Failsafe is a complex subject for sure. Today while flying the 540G, at about 400m away and at around 75m AGL, my rig went into Failsafe. I still had good video (1.3), and I expected to regain control soon since I had flown 3 and 4 times this range with the EzUHF previously. But I never was able to, no matter the mode or switch positions. My bird dutifully came home and landed, but I didn't like the way that I couldn't require control like I've always been able to with 2.4. It's like the 433 module locked me out once it had gone into F/S. As soon as I put in a new pack, it was back to normal, but man I really need to have a better understanding of my radio equipment. I wonder if power cycling my transmitter wow have acheived the same thing.

nsscaver1

I've utilized failsafe by switch and loss of signal. Once while flying FPV I went beyond a tree line and the camera got blinded by the sun, lost video and I could no longer see it line of site. I hit RTH switch and after about 20 seconds could hear then see it returning. Way cool.
Once forgot to plug in my satellite receiver and about 1200 feet out with heavy foliage, I out flew my transmitter. Still had video. Suddenly the hex stopped, hung there about 4 seconds then turned around and headed home. In both cases I couldn't regain control until after I switched to manual then back. I prefer to regain control ASAP as RTH flys at an altitude of 20 meters and some of the trees around here are taller than that. I wish a firmware update would allow you to adjust that setting.