Do I need a FPV setup or Is there something else I can use?

Hi All,

I’m so grateful for the wealth of information in these pages, thank you so much to everyone here.

Though I’m just getting into the hobby and am almost done with my first build Im already started to think about the shopping list for Phase 2!

So here’s where Im at right now:
F450
Naza v2 + GPS
2212 920kv motors
30a esc
3S 5000mah & 4S 4000mah battery (couldn’t choose, got both)
Taranis & x8r

I would like to add Gimbal and GoPro.
I will likely go for the Tarot 2d (as soon as I can find it in stock somewhere).

Here is my question:
I don’t really have a need to fly FPV, but I would like to frame my shots.
To I still need a full FPV set up? Or are there other options out there?

I ask because the FPV gear I see is all about range and clarity.
I can tolerate a laggy image and don’t need miles of range.
Again, I would just like to frame my shots and videos.

I know Phantom Vision uses Wifi.
Is there a similar kit for my needs?
Using the GoPro WiFi seems like a fantastic way to crash my kit.

If I have to go full FPV, can someone recommend a good cheapo rx/tx setup?

Thanks!
Chris

FlyGirl

First of all, this place is where I got my Tarot and it is in stock. http://www.rangevideo.com/en/gimbal...mera-gimbal-and-zyx22-controller-tl68a00.html

I would go FPV (and have! LOL) as it does help a lot to see where the camera is pointing at least somewhat. As far as WiFi, that's all on 2.4GHz which is what your transmitter uses. The Vision gets around that by using a proprietary transmitter/receiver combo that operates on 5.8GHz which is what most FPV systems transmit on. Crazy huh? Anyways, I would just keep it simple and go the standard FPV route which will work fine for your needs.

skquad

Just take the plunge and go fpv with goggles. You can use either a monitor or goggles but goggles are far more fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The Tarot gimbal is a good choice, they work very well at a low price.

If you just want to get started and have a play then just fly line of sight for a while and have a look at the footage you get, you will have lots of fun but it will give you experience flying better to get the best footage and in the mean time you can have a closer look at what FPV gear you might like to get, you may even decide you don't need it because the footage you are getting meets your needs.

Take it slow but buy well, don't cheap out but don't spend up too big until you are sure of what you really need.

Once you do decide to go FPV the FatShark starter kits are a nice way to go. Personally I have FatShark Dominators (getting HD's once they are available) with a 32 channel 5.8Ghz module and use the TBS vTx's, tiny size and big performance and reasonably priced as well.

Cheers

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi All,

Here is my question:
I don’t really have a need to fly FPV, but I would like to frame my shots.
To I still need a full FPV set up? Or are there other options out there?

Thanks!
Chris
Chris, your main question did not get answered.
You don't need anything more than a gimbal and fpv through your GoPro (assuming).
Fly LOS, get to your subject, look at your MONITOR (not goggles) frame, shoot, fly away.