XAircraft Ongoing problems - need help....

wbrownj

The other day my x650 was hovering about 3 foot off the ground at the end of a battery and it just fell to the ground. I thought I had just pushed the battery a bit too far. No real damage just bit of a heavy bounce... Or so I thought. When next I went to fly the super x would not initialise and all I got was a rapid red flashing. Tried to rebind but when I inserted the bind plug and powered up the rx (spektrum ar8000) led did not flash as expected. It remained solid orange. I thought the rx must be damaged coz red flashing led on x650 means incorrect commas between x650 and rx. So I bought a new rx but it is behaving just the same. I have stripped all extra electronics (eg fpv, lights, ubecs etc) out of the x650 - no improvement.

The superx is getting power, as is the rx so what stops the rx from going into bind mode when the bind plug is inserted? I do not have an independent battery pack to plug into the rx at the moment. Tomorrow I will try and connect to the computer and see if that works, but please give me your thoughts coz I am a bit stumped right now.

Btw when I plug power into the x650 the usual chirps from the motors are heard.

Cheers,

Jonathan

wbrownj

Hi, not sure what you mean. Tx = Spektrum dx8 rx = spektrum ar8000.
Tx is off when rx ( with bind plug inserted) is switched on but rx led is not flashing ( as it normally would) to indicate it is in bind mode.

J

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi, not sure what you mean. Tx = Spektrum dx8 rx = spektrum ar8000.
Tx is off when rx ( with bind plug inserted) is switched on but rx led is not flashing ( as it normally would) to indicate it is in bind mode.

J

Sounds as though the main RX isn't seeing the satellite RX, won't go into bind mode if it doesn't if I remember correctly, been a while since I used any of my Spektrum stuff. Are you using the same cable between the two rx that was on there when it hit the ground? If you are try a different cable, might have gotten damaged in hard landing.

Only other thing I can think of is the bind plug itself though I would think if the wire were broken that would be fairly obvious. Still if have another it won't hurt to try it...

Ken

wbrownj

Hi RTRyder,
Good call. Though I did try a new Rx, I was using the same satellite and things improved when I re-seated the wiring on it. To be sure I have replaced it with the new satellite that cam with the other Rx so hopefully, now all is good.

In efforts to find the issue I have pretty much stripped out all the electronics and so am now taking the time to tidy up wiring and the like. every cloud has a silver lining !!!!

Thanks all for your help and advice.

J

wbrownj

Well I have made progress in so far that the quad is now flying, but it constantly yaws left (anticlockwise) so I am trying to determine what is causing that. All the motors are level on their arms and I have recalibrated the compass etc.

J

wbrownj

Thanks Cda D... All gains are normal.

It's weird... Having already done both with the yaw problem presenting I re-re-calibrated the compass.... Problem still there... I then re-re-calibrated the stick travel and now the problem has gone away. I seem to have had a few of these 'settings not sticking' issues.
All seems well now but I will create a new clean model in my Tx just to be sure!!

j

Last edited by a moderator:

Zirt57

You said it crashed so the motors may not be level now. Post your black box log so we can check that.

Jeff

wbrownj

You said it crashed so the motors may not be level now. Post your black box log so we can check that.

Jeff

Hi Jeff (and all),

Really sorry for taking so long to respond, work and life have been a bit manic !!

Here is a link to my log: http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_05_04_121951.250_170.1.01.51

It is not a very long one and I am not at all experienced in interpreting flight logs so all input is valued. If you need a longer sample let me know and I will try and get it.

There is a slight variance in how much on average the motors are working. This I think is accounted for by the fact that I have a slightly heavy fpv rig mounted on one side of the x650.
Certainly when I am in ATT mode and hovering and then switch to GPS mode I can see the x650 level itself a bit.

But please let me know what you think. Is it a good read-out of does anything stand out to you

Ultimately I have jello in my gopro video on a stella gimbal. I would really like to get rid of it so am looking for any advice.

My sincere thanks as ever

J

CdA D

Not knowing why it would change, but maybe your yaw gain might need to be adjusted if that is possible. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electro 2

Motors look to be randomly out of true. No grouping, so it's not symmetric CW to CCW, just random. For anything other than hammer aerobatics they normally tend to show on the graph as tightly clustered lines with one almost covering the other. Did you use the straightedge method ? Works better and faster than any level-based approach. Other than that, the data looks clean.