MK Quad with RC Timer BC 2836-9 motors and different prop experience

ovdt

Hello everyone,

Recently I've asked a question about the reliability of some alternative motors like RC Timer, KDA. http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?778-Alternative-and-or-cheap-motor-options
Thanks to Matt, I've confidence in trying these alternative motors.

I purchased 4 RC Timer BC 2836-9 in order to test with my quad. Normally, I'd run this setup with MK3638 motors but until I'm confident with the maneuvers, I decided to use RC Timer 2836-9 in case of a crash.

Here is the setup:

* MK Electronics, FlightCtrl 2.1, NaviCtrl 2.0 + GPS
* Mikrokopter QuadroXL Center Plates
* Droidworx Extended Landing Gear
* RC Timer BC 2836-9 (880KV). Link to the motor
* Turnigy 4s 5000 mAh Lipo
* Total weight of the craft: 2.7 kg
* Flight time: Around 16-20 minutes with a 4S 5000 mAH.

I added extra weight like a second battery to see how it performs under medium load.

I tried these props:
* Graupner 11x5
* APC SlowFly 12x3.8

A short video with Graupner props:

(Note: You're going to see two batteries attached to the frame. Actually I'm using one to power to copter. Another one is to add weight to the copter)

I don't have on board video but I can easily say that I don't have wobble with Graupner props seen outside. I flies quite stable.

After a several session with Graupner props, I changed the props to APC SlowFly. Even I balanced the APC props quite well, I noticed small wobbling, especially when trying to stabilize while descending fast.

Another thing I noticed is the heat that motors produced. When I was using APC 12x3.8, after a 5 minutes flight, RC Timer 2836-9 gets quite hot, especially motors #3 #4. ( The motors which work more when rolled).

main.php

The motors get as high as 65-70 celcius. I didn't calculate how much power they consumed but touching the motors were hurting my fingers. The BL Ctrls are warm, not hot. The flight charecteristics doesn't change after the motors get hot but it makes me worry.

With Graupner props, they were cooler after 7-8 minutes flight but again hot enough. I also found that flying the copter with Graupner props was easier and smoother for me. I don't know the reason.

I have a hexa setup equipped with AXi 2814/22 motors, they just get warm after a 15 minutes flight and I wouldn't worry about the heat of the AXi motors. The heat of these AXi motors would be the last thing to check at craft unless the sun is burning around.

So, what I'm up to?

I'm going to use RC Timer 2836-9 motors on a frame equipped with CC. I wouldn't add any extra weight like mounting camera with this motor combo.

I'm changing to MK3638 motors for this setup before attaching camera mount to the frame. Other changes I'm going to make:

* I've built a custom center plate for Octo / Quad setup, I'm going to replace MK stock center frame with mines.
* I need longer arms. I'll use 16mm round aluminium tubes (40 cm long). I'd like to try 13" and 14" props with MK3638 motors.

I'll also try RC Timer BC 3536-11 motors on a Y6/Hexa setup in a few weeks when DJI W-M arrives.These motors are supposed to be equal to Pulso 2820/14 in terms of thrust. But the efficiency seems %25 less than the Pulsos, if I take it as the some guys from RCG writes. We will see about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Ok here are the other details:

When using Graupner 11x5" props, the motors run about 55 celcius. It seems, motors need to run at higher RPM with APC 12x3.8" for generating the same thrust with Graupner 11x5". (Because of the smaller pitch)

I need to build a bench setup for detailed thrust, rpm, power consumption and heat analysis.

For this motors, my props are definetly Graupner 11x5". They're perfectly balanced. I'm going to post on board video soon.

ovdt

After some tuning with MK-Tool, here is the latest video. I tried to hover it stable:

(That alarm is from the cell phone )

Last edited by a moderator: