SkyZone Diversity and Transmitter Combos?

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Hey all,

I posted this in my build thread, but I don't think it will get the same attention over there as it would here so I would like to re-post my query below:

Does anyone have experience with video transmitters and the SkyZone 5.8gHz Diversity Goggles? I think I understand the goggles diversity system, but I don't quite get how the video TX output works.

I would like to know if a standard video transmitter like the Immersion RC 600mw 5.8gHz vTx (5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz) will output on all signals simultaneously for the SkyZones to capture two of with diversity (say a CP on 5740 and a helicoil on 5780), or if if is locked on a single channel transmission? How does the Immersion TX change channels if so? Would I need a special TX to broadcast diversity is the root of my question.

I can see that the Boscam TS832 has selectable channels, so this would somewhat answer my above question, at least for this transmitter. So what would be the point of diversity in my goggles without a diversity transmitter? Just to have 32 channels available?

I am very open to ideal Video TX suggestions for the SkyZone Goggles with clear LOS range over 1 mile! I have narrowed my searching to basically two TX's: Immersion 7Ch 600mw and Boscam 32Ch TS832 600mw, both around $70...
I like that the Boscam TX displays the channel I am on, so it can be easily matched to the SkyZones beeps, but I am more concerned with performance. Does 32 channels always beat 7 since I have the SkyZones with the feature as well? I have also come across some people having numerous failures right out of the box with the TS832. Should I go Immersion and never look back?

Next on my list: Best antenna's out there for 5.8g under $40???
I am thinking SpiroNETs or BlueBeams, seems that they are both similar in gain, and performance. Would it be best to match Immersion TX with SpiroNETs?

Thanks for your input everyone!

cootertwo

I have the Skyzones, and use an Immersion 600 TX. As far as I understand, the Skyzones only use the one frequency you have selected, and the diversity part, just switches back and forth to which ever one is receiving the strongest signal. I run a stock Fatshark spironet on one side, and a small helical on the other. I did try one of those Bosscam TX's, and have never got it to work right. Horizontal lines. Maybe I got a bad one, but the Immersion works great.

StonedLlama

Spinny Side Up
Thanks for the info! That is just what I needed to hear, and sums up just about everything I have read online about IRC vs Boscam. Also, thank you for more clearly explaining the SkyZone diversity, that makes total sense now. It is antenna diversity, not channel diversity. I will go with Immersion TX and pick up some Spironets as well, then look into a helical down the line as I increase my range and confidence.

My final question is how do you change the channel on the IRC 600mw TX? This isn't clear anywhere online.

cootertwo

My final question is how do you change the channel on the IRC 600mw TX? This isn't clear anywhere online.

Without looking, I think there are some iddy biddy dip switches, usually covered up by the shrink wrap covering.