Radio frequencies

kwurz

Hey all,

I was in an email thread where an operator mentioned how you could tell an amateur pilot, one of the listed traits being the use of a 2.4Ghz controller, and FPV on a 5.8 Ghz.

Would love a little explanation, as I though 2.4Ghz was fairly standard. Just from poking around all I seemed to find as an alternative was 433Mhz. What are the pros/cons to the different frequencies? Do you need a HAM license for 433?

Thanks!

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Hey all,

I was in an email thread where an operator mentioned how you could tell an amateur pilot, one of the listed traits being the use of a 2.4Ghz controller, and FPV on a 5.8 Ghz.

Would love a little explanation, as I though 2.4Ghz was fairly standard. Just from poking around all I seemed to find as an alternative was 433Mhz. What are the pros/cons to the different frequencies? Do you need a HAM license for 433?

Thanks!

Don't know about pros/cons about 433 but if you are getting in to FPV I would just get a HAM licence. It isn't hard and is quite cheap. This would allow you to operate on most frequencies along with being able to use High power gear.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
LOL, the loud voice of the experts that know it all.

Seriously though it is not the frequency that you are using but how well you use it, depending what you want to do "professionally" then 2.4Ghz control and 5.8Ghz video will probably be just fine, cheap and it works.

Cheers

Pete

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
When doing FPV on a multirotor there really isn't much reason to use alternate frequencies, with the FRSky Taranis radio I can easily get a mile to a mile and a half range before the signal starts dropping off and the 5.8 video with the right antennas on both ends has far more range than that. Now do the math figuring how fast you can fly a multirotor and for how long before a fully charged battery is depleted to 50% useable capacity, that is how far outbound you can fly before you have to turn around to be able to make it back to the takeoff point. In almost every case I've calculated it the distance is no more than 2 miles and often less and that doesn't account for things like a headwind slowing the aircraft down and using considerably more power to go the same distance which then makes the limit something more like a mile and a half maximum to have a safety margin on the battery power.

So if my 2.4 radio works fine within the practical limits of range/battery power and my 5.8 video has even more range than that, why would you go and use frequencies that require specialized gear and amateur radio licenses? Yes there are special use cases where having the extra punch of the lower frequencies allows flight behind physical obstructions like small hills and stands of trees but for the most part that is determined by where or how you're flying. Right now without the leaves on the trees I can go tree slaloming in the woods at the edge of my usual flying field using nothing more than my Taranis and Immersion 600mw 5.8 with a purpose built tall SPW antenna on the quad and it works quite well. Added bonus is I need nothing more than the quad, Tranais, and video goggles with builtin 5.8 RX.

I have long range radio gear and both 2.4 and 1.3gHz video gear but I find it much easier to just use the box stock Immersion stuff and the Taranis for 99% of my FPV flying with multirotors and I've been doing full immersion FPV for 4 years now so I guess I'm just a highly experienced amateur then :highly_amused:

Ken

P.S. if you're doing FPV flight with airplanes or gliders than can effectively shutdown the motor and coast along on thermals for much longer time and distance than a multirotor can then you will need long range gear and possibly different video frequencies depending on antennas used and the terrain in the flight area

Last edited by a moderator:

kwurz

Thanks guys! I'm a while away from doing FPV (total newbie here) but I use a lot of wireless goodies at work, mostly wireless follow focus and video transmitters, so I'm always curious to hear about the different applications.

Also I have to ask...what's tree slaloming!?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks guys! I'm a while away from doing FPV (total newbie here) but I use a lot of wireless goodies at work, mostly wireless follow focus and video transmitters, so I'm always curious to hear about the different applications.

Also I have to ask...what's tree slaloming!?

Put on a set of FPV goggles with a high gain directional antenna attached to the RX, hang a fresh battery pack under your favorite FPV quad, and go flying in and around the trees in the woods no more than 2 or 3 feet off the deck as fast as you dare, that's tree slaloming and yes it can result in some rather banged up multirotors if you screw the pooch doing it ;)

Ken