Turnigy 9X or Spektrum 8?

Skyguy

Hi, Guys!

If this topic has been discussed before, please direct me to it. But if not, here's my question. I've just built a DJI F450 and need to get a radio. This is my first serious quad following a few toys. I've seen glowing reports on the Turnigy 9X and love the price, but I'm a little skittish about it. For example, I can't seem to get Hobby King to admit the shipping charges so I'm sure it's gonna cost more than $56. Also don't know if the appropriate batteries and chargers are included or not. But the fact that a 9 channel radio comes with an 8 channel receiver is a total head scratcher to me. Why have 9 channels on the TX and only 8 on the RX? Maybe there's some good reason but I can't figure it out. Heck, I only spent three years in the fourth grade so I'm probably missing something.

On the other hand, the Spectrum costs considerably more but I'm comfortable with what I'd get. I know it to be a quality radio system with good support and backup. A lot of local guys fly it. Frankly, I've learned you generally get what you pay for but again, the stuff I've read on the 9X (not the 9XR) seems pretty positive, so I thought I'd see what you more experienced guys thought.

Your qualified input and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

jbrumberg

I have and use a non-upgraded (flashed) Flysky FS TH 9XB which is one of the versions of the 9X. Ii is a cheap, basic, programmable non-ergonometrically shaped transmitter that offers very good range, has a three position toggle switch, and potentiometers and can accept different protocol transmitter modules (those with attached antennas) and does not require any internal modification of the internal antenna because it does not have one (like the Turnigy has). It can be flashed to more powerful a program (er9X). My only modification was to remove the stock AA battery pack for a 3S LiFe battery. It works for me presently, and I like it. Someday I will buy a fancier, more expensive transmitter with more channels and greater flexibility and more bells and whistles. The manuals for all the 9X Tx's are in Changlish and take quite a while to comprehend through trial and error attempts at Tx programming, but ultimately through perseverance and the numerous online training videos one can figure things out. Part of the "cheap" comes from the plastic body, gimbals used in the construction, and the POS AA battery pack which barely fits in the case. That being said it works and stands up to light exposure to moisture well, but I would not want to drop it. I have had my Tx for almost two years. I actually have two. The first had a defective battery pack. I got a free replacement Tx. I got my Tx from Banggood. One gets what they pay for. Just my $.02 USD

Skyguy

So it sounds like you're okay with the Turnigy 9X, at least conditionally. I have to admit I'm leaning toward the Spektrum because I'm just more comfortable with the quality. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Your $.02 is very worthwhile.

Bruce

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Neither, Taranis or Futaba T8FG Super, longer term you will be glad you did, short term you will be glad you did. Don't believe the hipe on the 9X, hateful radio, spare yourself the stuffing around

Pete

Skyguy

Thanks, Pete. Futaba is about the best there is. I'm not personally familiar with Taranis, though I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. Can you comment on it a bit more? Not sure I'm ready to spend that much money on a Futaba at this point, but I'm still debating. Appreciate your help.

Bruce

jbrumberg

Just for the record if I broke both of my 9X's tomorrow I would be very unhappy for the losses, but I would be ordering a Taranis in a heartbeat.

cootertwo

I just got a new Spektrum DX8 off egay for $300 shipped. The one I got came with no RX, but with an optional 4000mh lipo battery. I've been using a DX7s, but wanted more switches. I've had no problems with either radio. Funny thing, the DX7s came with a nmh battery, that I had to constantly charge. The DX8 came with a 2000mh lipo stock. So I put the 4000mh in the DX8, and moved the 2000mh lipo to the DX7s. What a difference. And I've been finding Spektrum RX's for cheap, on the net. Especially compared to Futaba RX's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-SP...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4619c61aa8

Skyguy

Glad to hear you like the Spektrum, Cootertwo. I'm also debating the DX7 but thought the 8 might be a better choice - but I'm open to discussion. However, Jbrumberg has hoisted yet another vote for the Taranis so maybe I need to look at that too. When I was flying fixed wing, you'd go buy a Futaba or JR 4 or 6 channel radio and it included the batteries, charger and even the servos. But this 2.4 gH stuff is different. So I need to be educated more. Can anyone tell me why you like the Taranis? How does it compare to the Spektrum? (Gee, this is fun! Free advice from people who actually know something!)

Thanks,

Bruce

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Well I have had a DX8 and now have a DX18 but I use my 14SG for all my quad/FPV flying, a T8FG will do almost the same at 1/3 the price if you track one down used, I got one for my #2 son for AUD$200 delivered.

Anyone looking for a new radio should keep in mind that $200-900 on a radio is your key purchase that you will use for many years, I figure I will probably spend $5-10k on my aircraft over the next 5 years so the initial investment in very good radios means I only have to learn how to program them once and because they are quality they will last me a long time. I personally have no interest in flying a $2,000-3,000 quad with a $50 radio.

Pete

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have a 9XR sitting on the shelf gathering dust, it worked fine for roughly 7 or 8 weeks before it just died while I was doing flight controller tuning flights on a new build, end result was a totaled airframe after it flew into a stone wall due to no signal from the TX. You do indeed get what you pay for, buy a cheap radio and you get a cheap radio. My time building and tuning is worth more than saving a few bucks on a TX that has potential to undo everything I just finished doing because poor quality caused it to stop working at the wrong moment, not to mention the hit your wallet will take replacing parts damaged in crashes.

I currently have a JR 11X, a Spektrum DX7 that was one of the first batch sold, a Futaba 10C that I have only because I can fit the modules I bought for the cursed 9XR into it, and my new fav and primary radio a Taranis. What makes the Taranis standout above all those others? Mainly the fact it has more switches, sliders, dials and flexibility in configuration than all of those other radios combined. Add to that the fact that it has more range than any of the others when using 2.4gHz and did I mention it can do 16 channels out of the box and 32 by just plugging a second module into the TX bay on the back? Also can do pretty much any transmission protocol that is currently used or if you're into coding you can literally custom write your own and load it to both TX and RX, try that with any of the big name gear. Comes with an SD card already in the slot and has a 60 model memory although I'm only 1/3 of the way to filling that so far.

And the feature that really does it for me is the customizable voice alerts combined with the telemetry capability built into the system which means I don't really need an OSD for multirotor FPV flying I can get all of the important information audibly from the radio in real time as I'm flying so my view of the flight in the goggles isn't cluttered with all kinds of information that I forget to look at anyway! The TX tells me how long I've been flying and I can set thresholds for it to tell me if I'm starting to lose signal from flying too far away or if the battery voltage goes below a certain level and that's standard equipment on almost all of the RX you can use with it. Plug a few add-on sensors to the RX and they will send back even more data that can be monitored audibly.

And the absolute best part? You can have all that for under $300 and it comes with a metal storage/carrying case, what's not to like?

Ken

Skyguy

Man, am I ever glad I asked! Thanks to all of you for your answers. PeeDee, I'm not as deep financially as you are into this but I have to agree that my efforts to acquire and build my aircraft aren't worth the cheap-price risk. And RTRyder, now I understand why the Taranis is held in such high esteem. Frankly, I think that's what I'm gonna go get.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. I really appreciate it! Maybe someday I can return the favor.

Bruce