3DR Iris - 30 day wait. Huge disappointment!

281tx

I couldn't be happier right now. The maiden flight was a success. She's a beauty. Awesome piece of machinery. No regrets.

Thank you 3DR. Thank you to all that had anything to do with this issue being resolved.

If the mods want to delete this thread, then please do. As far as I'm concerned, this case is closed.

Thank you!

James

PS. R_Lefebvre, thank you again for poking around and making this happen!

mdntblu

I'm so happy to hear this. I've had really good customer service with 3DR and my stuff was just a simple flight controller not a whole quad.

281tx

Well, I'm sorry to inform you all, but the Iris has failed after one flight. After I made the maiden flight three days ago, I went home and charged both batteries. As soon as they were done, I went back to the park to fly. (Two and half hours later!) No go. No GPS signal. It didn't matter how many times I reset and started over. No GPS signal. I tried several times. I let it sit for five minutes. No signal.

I surrendered to the fact that this would never fly and told myself I was done with 3DR. It sat on my kitchen table since then. I even put the Iris on craigslist and was ready to accept the loss instead of dealing with support again. However, I decided to try one last time. Last night around 10:30pm, I took the Iris out to the clearing. Same s***. No GPS signal. Reset and tried again. Nothing. I switched modes and the Iris literally took off on it's own up to about 20 feet or so. I was able to land safely in the grass manually.

There is a problem somewhere and I don't know how to fix it and I shouldn't have to fix it. I bought the Iris for one reason, RTF! It's been anything but RTF and now I'm just tired and ready to move on.

For sale:

Brand new 3DR Iris. One flight. 5-7 minutes. Houston only. Cash only. PM me for details. Phone number, etc...etc....

1x Iris case - New. Unopened.
1x Tarot gimbal - New. Never attached.
1x controller - Used three times.
1x set of four tall legs. Never used.
1x set of props - Installed.
2x 3500mah batteries.

Make offer.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
what does a new Iris cost? maybe we can make a purchase on behalf of the site for a review? i'd have to find a review author though that wants to tangle with it and I'd have to have the cash to buy it.

Bart

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Well that's a bummer.

What do you mean by no GPS signal? The Pixhawk was reporting the GPS wasn't even connected, or it just couldn't get a lock on the satellites?

Do you have a log. The unexpected take-off is very strange. My only guess is you had some kinda of GPS failsafe event.

281tx

what does a new Iris cost? maybe we can make a purchase on behalf of the site for a review? i'd have to find a review author though that wants to tangle with it and I'd have to have the cash to buy it.

Bart

The Iris is $750.00 new by itself.

Well that's a bummer.

What do you mean by no GPS signal? The Pixhawk was reporting the GPS wasn't even connected, or it just couldn't get a lock on the satellites?

Do you have a log. The unexpected take-off is very strange. My only guess is you had some kinda of GPS failsafe event.

Yes, that's correct. It won't lock on to satellites. The motors will not arm in loiter, RTL, or autonomous mode. Sorry for the confusion.

No logs. I have not connected the Iris to a computer. I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to. (RTF?)

When I flipped the switch to ALT, the motors armed and then it decided to fly itself. 20 feet up with a bad drift. I was able to land it manually in the grass without problems 30 feet away. I tried one more time after that with pretty much the same result minus the auto takeoff.

James

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
No telemetry or anything either?

I strongly recommend all people use telemetry virtually all the time. It's the only way to know what's going on with the system. It's a VERY complicated system.

My guess as to what happened was you had really bad GPS reception, and it triggered a geofence RTL. I'd love to have the data. I don't like the current implementation of that, and just turn it off.

281tx

No telemetry or anything either?

I strongly recommend all people use telemetry virtually all the time. It's the only way to know what's going on with the system. It's a VERY complicated system.

My guess as to what happened was you had really bad GPS reception, and it triggered a geofence RTL. I'd love to have the data. I don't like the current implementation of that, and just turn it off.

If there is telemetry, I don't know how to get/view it. I haven't connected the Iris to a computer yet. If you can tell me how to get that data, I'd be willing to try.

James

dazzab

There are instructions on this page http://3drobotics.com/iris/info/ for how to download and use the ground station software. It is good to fly with telemetry and one of the big advantages is that the heads up display will tell you exactly why your IRIS is not arming if there are issues with GPS etc. If the IRIS can't get a GPS lock odds are it's not related to the IRIS although it could be a faulty GPS or bad connection.

I had a look at the IRIS doco and the Flight Checklist that they provide. I also played one of the videos they suggest users watch. Wow, what great doco! Things have sure come a long way. I just don't think you could do a much better job of providing info to new users. I am truly impressed. In spite of this, any true drone is complex. I think your expectation of RTF out of the box might be a bit high. Sure, if all goes perfectly that _might_ be the result but flying any RC model is complex at the best of times. I think they have struck a really good balance here. Keep at it and the rewards will be a lot of new knowledge and a really fun copter to fly.

I would suggest you go through the material again. Your situation is mentioned, if I have this right. If you don't have GPS lock then Loiter and Auto modes aren't going to allow arming the motors. Alt Hold will arm the motors. I suspect that with all the things you were trying that you probably armed it in Alt Hold and then raised the throttle. Being able to arm and take off in modes other than the manual stabilise mode is fairly new in Arducopter. It works a bit like taking off with a DJI controller in a GPS mode. That is that it will take off quickly and then level off. If you had your throttle past 50% it would have easily shot up to 20 meters.

Anyway, try slowing down a bit. Read a bit more and if at all possible get the telemetry going.

The logs will show exactly what happened. It's a bit tricky getting to them but it's worth learning.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's great that you guys are working this out. thanks for helping Rob. :)

@281tx......like they said, it's as RTF as it can be but using a computer with the helicopter is part of operating the helicopter just like the flying is also part of operating the helicopter.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Just to be clear, it CAN be used without having telemetry. But it has to be set up properly to do that. Without having seen the logs, my guess is that it was in state where something was wrong, but 281tx wasn't aware of it. If you want to fly with it as a simple controller, with no feedback, then you're wise to turn off many of the advanced features.

281tx

Thank you to all. I really do appreciate all the time and effort you all have spent here trying to help me get this worked out. Even after all that has happened, I still want to own the Iris. The brief flight I did have was flawless.

I just downloaded Mission Planner on my laptop. I will try to plug the Iris up here shortly. Will it be able to tell what happened from the other flights being that I didn't use it prior to the flights? Or will this just help me find and fix the problem so it doesn't happen in the future?

Thank you.

James

PS. Not trying to get into a pissing contest or anything. Not trying to make anyone angry. Just trying to make a point. Maybe 3DR should change their advertising?

For the record: This is on the 3DR website. Iris description. http://3drobotics.com/iris/

Reliable performance in a ready-to-fly package

Ready to fly

IRIS comes fully assembled right out of the box. Just charge the battery pack and attach the propellers. The FlySky transmitter comes pre-configured for IRIS.

This video from 3DR: Unboxing and setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96hxSPYrKYI
This video from 3DR: Pre-flight Checklist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT_shVQbn7I
This video from 3DR: Your first flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uggGfUD4Mo

None of the videos mention hooking up the Iris to a computer to make your first flight or any flight after.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
You should have data logs on the Pixhawk that should explain what happened, even though you never hooked up a computer previously. If they configured it right, it should have been logging.

I was not involved with the development of the Iris, or the writing of the marketing materials or instructions one bit. :)

281tx

The story begins on March 10, 2014. It ends today, May 1, 2014.

March 10, 2014. Order placed.

April 8, 2014. Order delivered broken and with missing pieces.

April 10, 2014. Order sent back to California for a refund, repair, or a new unit.

April 23, 2014. New Iris arrives.

April 25, 2014. Maiden flight. Success! Second flight, FAIL!

April 28, 2014. Tried for the second flight again. Fail.

April 30, 2014. The Iris and accessories are now heading back to California via UPS again.

I tried to install Mission Planner on my laptop. Another failure. First it said, "you need to download NET Frame xxxxxx to continue on." I did that. Tried again. Then it said, "I needed to download, wic xxxxxx." FAIL! Mission Planner won't even load now.

I still didn't give up....

Then I tried to download Mission Planner on my desktop. It's older than my laptop, but it runs better. Not happening on there either. Downloaded the same files only to get the same result.

I do not have the money to go buy a new laptop or tablet. This is the end. No more. Maybe by this time next year I'll consider purchasing 3DR products again. For now, good bye and good luck to all who purchase the Iris.

Thank you to all for listening and trying. R_Lefebvre, you're the man. Sorry it's not going to work out. Thanks again for doing what you did.

James

281tx

Do not purchase anything from 3DR - 3D Robotics. You'll be sorry!

Do NOT under any circumstances buy anything from 3DR, 3D Robotics. My story begins on March 10, 2014 and it's not over yet. It should have been over on May, 1, 2014.

They, (3D Robotics & Chris Anderson) are now claiming they never received the Iris back. I have all the proof they did receive it and now they are just playing games with me and my bank account. Even after sending them copies of the proof, they are still denying that they ever received the Iris. Now there is no longer any contact from them at all accept random snail mail.

They have sent me numerous screws, antennas, and just recently, three separate letters, all the same. Something about moving the Pixhawk.

Now I know why your company can't send anything out of the United States. No other country wants to deal with your terrible service and products.

If I could afford to pay people not to buy from this company, I would. Worst service in the RC multi-rotor hobby.

James

PS - Someone make a reality show where you can challenge the CEO of a company to a fight. I'd challenge Chris Anderson for a spot on the first season.

Challenger wins: exact amount owed. CEO wins: he/she can go to the grave knowing they beat up one of his/her customers.

Do NOT under any circumstances buy anything from 3DR, 3D Robotics. My story begins on March 10, 2014 and it's not over yet. It should have been over on May, 1, 2014.

They, (3D Robotics & Chris Anderson) are now claiming they never received the Iris back. I have all the proof they did receive it and now they are just playing games with me and my bank account. Even after sending them copies of the proof, they are still denying that they ever received the Iris. Now there is no longer any contact from them at all accept random snail mail.

They have sent me numerous screws, antennas, and just recently, three separate letters, all the same. Something about moving the Pixhawk.

Now I know why your company can't send anything out of the United States. No other country wants to deal with your terrible service and products.

If I could afford to pay people not to buy from this company, I would. Worst service in the RC multi-rotor hobby.

James

PS - Someone make a reality show where you can challenge the CEO of a company to a fight. I'd challenge Chris Anderson for a spot on the first season.

Challenger wins: exact amount owed. CEO wins: he/she can go to the grave knowing they beat up one of his/her customers.

Really sorry to hear this man. I think bottom line is making it right to the customer either in the form of a refund or new product that works. In this case they are making it hard for you to get a refund and didn't send a working product... If you used a credit card on this send your CC company the postal receipt confirming receipt and have them refund your account. Guarantee once the CC company gets involved it will be taken care of. This is why I personally ALWAYS deal through paypal. They have come through form me on more occaisions than I can count... Best of luck and don't let it discourage you!

If you are looking for a ready to fly kit I would recommend a DJI Phantom or one of the Horizon "SAFE" technology quads. If you want my two cents on them PM me! :p

Vu3DR

Hi 281tx. My name is Vu Tran. I'm the new Director of Support. Let's talk and see how we can work this out. You have my word that this will be resolved asap. PM me, email me (vu@3drobotics.com), or call me and let's get you sorted out. I'm sorry you had to go through all of this.

haha49

Do a charge back on your credit card. Explain what happened nicely tell them do it.. If they don't tell them to cancel your card you won't do busniess with the credit card company because they failed to protect you. I've done that before it works way better then dealing with that. You gave them many chances to fix it but they kept dropping the ball.