3DR Iris - 30 day wait. Huge disappointment!

281tx

Just wanted to let people know about my experience with 3DR.

I ordered Iris from 3DR back in March. I just got it on 4/8/2014 after 28 days. This is how I received it.

Missing the main antenna.

View attachment 17515

View attachment 17516

Also missing were two screws that hold in the motors. A third screw fell out when I was packing it up to return it.

Out of the eight screws that hold in the motors, only two were solid. The rest were loose, stripped, missing....

View attachment 17517

View attachment 17518

View attachment 17519

Huge let down!

They have known about the motor, screw problem for awhile and have done nothing to fix it. I have tried to call them over 30 times with no luck. The reply to my email was, "sorry about the antenna, we are working as fast as we can to send you a new one." No mention of the motor problem and they obviously didn't read the part where I said, " I have already boxed it up and shipped it back to you."

If you choose to order from them, use with caution. My first time and last time!

James

Attachments

• 28rmm3q.jpg
    28rmm3q.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 2dgut6p.jpg
    2dgut6p.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 379
  • ta261w.jpg
    ta261w.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 413
  • 10xwy2o.jpg
    10xwy2o.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 9vcend.jpg
    9vcend.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

That's a real shame and very frustrating. I've had really good luck with 3DR products and service but I keep reading stories like yours so obviously something isn't right there. I've always put it down to a company that is just growing so fast in an industry where things change day by day. I know that's no excuse and doesn't help you. What really bothers me is when I hear stories from people like you saying that they aren't supporting you when things like this happen. That's going to cost them big time. I hope they work things out and that in the end you get things sorted out. People seem to really like the Iris so I hope you get to have some fun with it soon. Let us know how this pans out.

deluge2

Sounds like the OP has had his fill of 'fun' with it already. He sent it back...

That's a real shame and very frustrating. I've had really good luck with 3DR products and service but I keep reading stories like yours so obviously something isn't right there. I've always put it down to a company that is just growing so fast in an industry where things change day by day. I know that's no excuse and doesn't help you. What really bothers me is when I hear stories from people like you saying that they aren't supporting you when things like this happen. That's going to cost them big time. I hope they work things out and that in the end you get things sorted out. People seem to really like the Iris so I hope you get to have some fun with it soon. Let us know how this pans out.

I suggest to try one more time. If they don't respond properly, try out consumer complaint. Also you can write review about the company so that same case shouldn't be happened with other consumers.

281tx

Still no resolution. Several emails stating they have sent me an antenna and a bag of screws. Still haven't been able to get anyone on their phone. They won't call my phone which actually works. I seriously advise anyone looking to purchase anything from 3DR to look elsewhere. There will be NO contact from them once you click the, "pay now" button. Do yourself and the hobby a favor by not supporting them.

Just goes to show you that every company can have a bad/deffective product in production. I agree, try again and let them right the wrong!

plingboot

you could always join DiyDrones and drop chris anderson a direct PM…

you're going to have a much greater chance of a response/resolution if you try the right people at the right place…

but do report back to let us know how it goes.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Good suggestion Pling! Watch out though Bartman just chastised me for referring off site. Apparently that's a BIG no no :p

ufgadget, read what i wrote and then review your posts where you told a person twice that they were better off elsewhere. i believe we have the more professional community of dji users here with thorough knowledge of DJI's products (myself included).

referring people offsite has always been tolerated here as many of our more senior members will likely agree.

ufgadget, read what i wrote and then review your posts where you told a person twice that they were better off elsewhere. i believe we have the more professional community of dji users here with thorough knowledge of DJI's products (myself included).

referring people offsite has always been tolerated here as many of our more senior members will likely agree.

I am giving you a hard time Bartman. The moral of the posts on the other thread was that he was bashing to bash so I let him know that if he wanted the problem fixed and couldn't through conventional means then yes, the other site IS better for that single purpose. I didn't elicit any other purpose :). PLUS I knew you would read this as well! Makes for a fun day :D

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I am giving you a hard time Bartman. The moral of the posts on the other thread was that he was bashing to bash so I let him know that if he wanted the problem fixed and couldn't through conventional means then yes, the other site IS better for that single purpose. I didn't elicit any other purpose :). PLUS I knew you would read this as well! Makes for a fun day :D

i'll remember this for when i'm in the mood to ban someone needlessly. :highly_amused:

281tx

Advice taken. Letter sent to Chris Anderson via PM. Here is the conversation. This will be my last post on this subject. The conclusion is at the bottom for those who choose not to read it all.

First email to Chris Anderson via PM

Subject: Defective Iris - No support - Please help!

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:58:34 +0000 > From: James > To: Chris Anderson > > Chris Anderson,
>
> My name is James XXXXXXXX. On March 10, 2014 I purchased the RTF Iris and a few added options. (Order number: XXXXXXXXXX) The total was, $1,633.75.
>
> The package arrived on April 8, 2014. It only took me 15 minutes or so to realize that there is a major problem. First thing I noticed, the main antenna for the
Iris itself was missing. It was not anywhere in the box. After getting the Iris out of the box and doing an inspection, I noticed that two of the motors were missing
screws. Another screw fell out when I was packing it back up. Out of the eight screws, only two were solid. The rest were missing, stripped, or just loose.
>
> I have emailed support with pictures. The reply was, we are sending you an antenna and a bag of screws. I don't have the Iris anymore. The screws wouldn't do any
good anyway. The holes were stripped.
>
> I have already boxed up everything and sent it to the San Diego office. It arrived there Monday at 8:49AM.
>
> I'm asking for a full refund or a working Iris. I have also given up trying to call the San Diego office. I have tried to call there no less than 30 times with no
luck. My phone number is, XXX-XXX-XXXX. It's on 24/7 and I always answer.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you and ending this as soon as possible.
>
> James XXXXXXXX

Chris Anderson's Reply

Chris Anderson mail@diydrones.com via diydrones.ning.com
Apr 16 (3 days ago)
to me

Chris Anderson has sent you a message on DIY Drones

------------
Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like customer support has been in communications with you via email. Did you ask for a RMA to return/replace? I don't have access
to the customer support threads, so I'm afraid I'm not quite sure I understand what has/hasn't been done at this point. If you just need me to escalate a request I'm
happy to do that.

-Chris

My thoughts on his reply

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do believe that I mentioned there has been, "no communication with customer support other than them wanting to send me a new antenna and a bag of screws." Also, I wouldn't have written you if I didn't need your help with "ESCALATING" a request to fix the problem.

So, I wrote another letter....

My second letter to Chris Anderson

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:14:29 +0000 > From: James > To: Chris Anderson > > Chris Anderson,

> First of all, thank you for replying. I will explain in full detail about what happened.

> On March 10, 2014 I purchased the RTF Iris package with several added options. Total: $1,633.75. Order number: XXXXXXXXXX.

> 01) 1x 3DR Iris
02) 1x Iris Case
03) 1x Tarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal Kit for Iris
04) 1x 3DR Radio Set
05) 1x Iris Battery Pack
06) 1x GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition
07) 2x APC Propellers 10X47 Push-Pull Set

> On April 8, 2014 everything arrived accept the Iris case. The case was on backorder. That was okay. Not a problem at all.

> I open up the package and all seemed well. After getting the Iris out of the box, first thing I noticed is the main antenna for the Iris was missing. I continued on
and pulled the Iris out to put the tall landing gear on. When I turned the Iris upside down, I noticed out of the eight screws that hold in the motors, only two were
actually tight. Two screws were missing and another screw fell out when I was packing it back up in the box to return it.

> The Iris case was due to arrive on April 10, 2014. It did. As soon as it arrived, I went to the UPS office and mailed it back unopened along with all the other
stuff. Two packages. All unused in the same condition I received them in.

> I mailed the two packages to the office in San Diego. 1470 Exposition Way Suite 140. They received both packages on April 14, 2014. Ruben ? signed for them.
> As of today, April 17, 2014 I have not heard anything from anyone about the packages. The only emails I have received have been them stating that, "we have sent you a new antenna and some screws." I do not have the Iris. I made that clear in my email to them. The holes were stripped on the Iris. Even if I had kept it, new screws wouldn't have worked to fix the problem.

> I did not ask for an RMA. I did not know what an RMA was until you replied. My mistake and I do apologize for that. However, I did return all of it as fast as
possible because I didn't want to miss any deadlines for warranties or returns. I returned all of it because I couldn't use or can't use any of it without all of it.

> I would really like to own an Iris and be a part of the 3DR family. I don't want to wait any longer either. It's already been one month and counting from the day I
placed my order. I think a reasonable amount of time to send me the same order would be by Thursday, April 24, 2014 or sooner. If that's not possible, I would like a
full refund.

> I am very sorry for bringing this problem to you. I know you are very busy and have more important things to tend to. I did try to call and send emails to no avail.
> You were my last option.

> James XXXXXXXX

> XXX-XXX-XXXX

Chris Anderson's Reply

Chris Anderson mail@diydrones.com via diydrones.ning.com
Apr 17 (2 days ago)
to me

Chris Anderson has sent you a message on DIY Drones

------------
Thanks for the details and request. Have you sent the same to customer service? I'm many levels removed from that department, but if they have dropped the ball
somewhere I can pull together department heads and review the case. But CEO intervention is a course of last resort and only used in a case where there has been a
pretty serious failure of customer service. If that's necessary, please let me know, but otherwise all this should be sent to them.

-Chris

End Game

Seriously?

Can anyone at 3DR read? I told Chris in both emails that I can't get them on the phone and the only replies to my email are, "we are sending you a new antenna and a
bag of screws." In both emails to Chris, I clearly stated, "I do not have the Iris. I have already sent it back via UPS. It arrived there on April 14, 2014 at 8:49AM.
Ruben ? signed for it." I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING SINCE. They don't answer the phone or my emails about the package or the problem with the Iris itself.

It's been one month and counting. If that's not a "FAILURE" in their customer support service, I don't know what is?! I also mention in my last email, he was the last
resort and I apologized for bothering him.

This morning the call was made to my credit card company. They lose, I lose. Sucks for all.

DJI, I'm coming home....

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

Advice taken. Letter sent to Chris Anderson via PM. Here is the conversation. This will be my last post on this subject. The conclusion is at the bottom for those who choose not to read it all.
When Chris offered to bring together department heads for a review of your case why didn't you simply reply 'Yes, that would be helpful'? It does appear there's a serious problem at their end and here was a great opportunity to get the CEO involved that has now been missed.

I can understand Chris' reluctance to get involved but it seems to me that if he simply would forward on your message to the head of tech support it would have solved the issue. His statement that he is 'several levels removed' really bothers me. Who exactly is responsible if not the CEO? I'm certainly not as important as he is but I have run a few companies and I would never respond to a customer like this. Perhaps 3DR is a victim of their own success?

281tx

When Chris offered to bring together department heads for a review of your case why didn't you simply reply 'Yes, that would be helpful'? It does appear there's a serious problem at their end and here was a great opportunity to get the CEO involved that has now been missed.

I can understand Chris' reluctance to get involved but it seems to me that if he simply would forward on your message to the head of tech support it would have solved the issue. His statement that he is 'several levels removed' really bothers me. Who exactly is responsible if not the CEO? I'm certainly not as important as he is but I have run a few companies and I would never respond to a customer like this. Perhaps 3DR is a victim of their own success?

I had already asked for help 1000000000000000 times to no avail. That's why I contacted Chris as a last resort. I didn't respond with just, "yes" please help because my first email to him was, "asking him for help." There was obviously a problem and for him to ask me if I wanted extra help was stupid and somewhat insulting. Hell, even the subject title, "Subject: Defective Iris - No support - Please help!" was a sign I needed help. I expect this type of service from Walmart. I didn't expect it from 3DR.

dts

James frustrating experience by far but re:
"DJI, I'm coming home..."

Good luck getting the DJI CEO to respond, and in fact good luck getting a NAZA to come home. If you're giving up on 3DR, take the opportunity to try something other than DJI.

281tx

James frustrating experience by far but re:
"DJI, I'm coming home..."

Good luck getting the DJI CEO to respond, and in fact good luck getting a NAZA to come home. If you're giving up on 3DR, take the opportunity to try something other than DJI.

I was mad when I wrote that. I haven't given up on 3DR. They just need to fix a few things before I'll order from them again.

I know it's hard to contact CEO's of big companies. I was thankful that he did respond and somewhat surprised. I was hoping for a solution. Not another round of questions or anymore emails.

I own a Phantom 2, Phantom Vision and a Storm 6. All NAZA. Both the Phantoms have well over 100 flights. Never had a problem yet (knock on wood) that I didn't cause. The Storm 6 has around 40 flights. No problems!

James, has there been any improvement in this situation yet?

Yes. The story continues....

Not sure if it's an improvement yet, but it's a start. About two hours ago, FedEx showed up with what appears to be a new Iris. I wasn't expecting this. Checked my email shortly after. It was sent two days ago, maybe three. I'll have to check again.

I still haven't opened it because I have plans tonight that I need to be in a good mood for. It will be tonight. Probably around 10:00pm cst. I'll be back with an update shortly after.

James

281tx

Ok good. I poked a couple people for you. Hopefully it works out.

Sorry for the late response. I didn't make it back in time last night to do anything with the Iris. I just got it all unpacked and together a couple hours ago. So far, so good.

The package was delivered in great condition. All the items were in the box. All four motors are seated properly. I did fire up the motors. Everything seems to be in perfect working order.

The batteries are charging. Unfortunately, it's considered late where I live and my neighbors would complain if I took it out now and tried to fly it. The maiden flight will be first thing in the morning.

R_Lefebvre, you're the man! Thank you! Thank you to all the people you poked!

Thank you to Lorena, Lexi (sorry I missed your call), Chris and everyone else at 3DR that helped me get through this issue.

James