Training in the UK

Hi,

I'm a London based camera/Steadicam operator and would like an introduction to multi-rotor flying to see if it is something I'd like to pursue.

Does anyone know of any clubs or companies that offer training?

Many thanks,

Paul

Cheshirecat

http://uas.resourcegroup.co.uk/ These guy's provide structured CAA approved training on UAV's or for amore hands on flying approach there are companies like http://www.dronetraining.co.uk/training/
Although i believe the best approach is to buy an entry level system and just try it yourself to see if it hooks you, that why i bought a Phantom and then built a much bigger Skyjib X4 once the hooks were in and i got past hitting the ground and breaking stuff.
Where abouts in London are you?

Hi Cheshirecat,

Thanks for the info - very helpful indeed. I'm in Surbiton - I wonder if I could get way with taking a Phantom for a spin in Richmond park? With kitesurfing there is compulsory insurance you must have from to fly the kite - even on land - in many places. Is there any such insurance for drones, etc that you know of?

Cheers,

Paul

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The problem with both Resource and EuroUSC training is that it doesn't really train you on flying- it is aimed more at the law and procedures.

The best way to get insurance is to join the BMFA in my opinion.

Dave Fisher will teach you to fly just google him.
Resource Group will teach you the law and get your permission.
Im not sure if the BMFA insure multi rotors ? Its still worth joining for the information you receive from them.

Cheshirecat

YEP BMFA membership is the way to go as you then at least have 3rd party insurance for a very reasonable cost.
I opted to do my tuning/practice flying at a proper RC helicopter flying club, no danger of upseting anybody that way.

Isn't Richmond a Royal Park? i wouldn,t fly in a Royal Park personally.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Elliot has permission to provide training and covers many aspects, not just the flying itself. He goes through setup, pre-flight checks, site surveys and commercial operations. I can't recommend him enough. He was a teacher before becoming commercial so it was natural for him to go this route. :nevreness:

Lobbo

I'm a video producer who's just started multirotor filming. I bought a DJI F550 hexacopter with a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal. If they'd been available at the time I think I would probably have bought a Phantom 2 with the new H3-3D gimbal. I'd recommend getting something like that to see how you get on. I've done the Resource Group course and, while it was excellent, you have to jump through lots of hoops before you can fly for commercial gain. Worth it if, like me, you want to make a living from it eventually. I'll be taking a flight assessment in the next month but the test is type specific. If you later upgrade to a more sophisticated machine you'll have to have a flight assessment on that too. They have to be renewed every year too. There is no flying training on the Resource Group course. With no previous experience of RC models, I found the flying part relatively easy thanks to the sophisticated multirotor technology but I did get myself an extra day's training on setting up the software and flight controller and how the aircraft works. Hope that helps.

Benjamin Kenobi

Welcome to the forum Lobbo! Sounds like you're going about it the right way. Good luck with the flight test. It's quite straight forward really, like a driving test, be safe and act safe and think safety! Need any help we're here when you need us.

Lobbo

Thanks Benjamin. Our paths have already crossed on Twitter - @workingwonders. Great showreel. Looking forward to building experience. Have been playing safe with countryside and Hadrian's Wall but having a go at a stately home next week.

Benjamin Kenobi

Great place to start. My testing ground is a local stately home. I was there today and yesterday. I'll pop a video up tomorrow.

Good luck with things. Always happy to answer questions.

brifla

BNUC-s v RPQ-s

Hi, just new to the forum. Trying to figure out what the difference is between the BNUC-s and RPQ-s qualifications. Apologies if this has already been covered.