Heeeelp......brand new s800 evo.....vibrations

Wallie78

Hi Guys, purchased a new EVO couple of weeks ago. We have been flying 450/550 for awhile but decided to upgrade...Built in Florida by TBM and shipped out to Australia.

Maiden flight yesterday. Flew beautifully first battery but the 16,000mah battery only lasted 5 minutes?? Strange??

Second battery/flight - we hovered high, retracted the landing gear and about a minute later we get white lights, we noticed what seemed like oscillation or vibration in the gimble also just after take-off, whereas we could visibly see the gimble shaking. It wasn't very windy but there was some wind. We flew in GPS and course mode.

Spoke with the guys at TBM and they suggested we drop down gains by 10% as this would help with shake. We adjusted the gain and flew again today. Flew for about 4 minutes ok but noticed gimble shake again then white lights again....COG seemed spot on also. It also seems a fully charged battery lasts only 5 mins on a full charge so not sure if that's linked.

I cannot find a huge amount of info on white lights but not sure where to go from here??

Can anyone suggest any help??? I have attached our A2 settings also, IMU is mounted using velcro on H PLate...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 2.30.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 2.30.19 PM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 6.50.24 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 6.50.24 PM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 176

R6Media

Can't speak for the Evo or the A2 but I thought the IMU should be more secure than that. Velcro is wiggly!
The thumbnails are ridiculously small but does that say -29CM for your GPS? that cant be right. 11.4 inches in GPS mast really???

Are you using the voltage protection? the default settings are really way too conservative. could account for your short flight times.
I don't use it. These things are way too heavy to handle the lower limit "auto crash" feature :) Works great if it's just the aircraft.
I get 10 minutes easy out of my s800 and consistently have 20%+ battery life remaining once they've stabilized after landing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

No velcro. Hard mount only. Use the double stick tape that DJI provided in the box. You will confuse the IMU sensors.

photobobga

I find it interesting that the dealer that sold and shipped this unit did not do any pre-deliver verification of the aircraft. Whatever your issues are that need resolving you should filter this back to the company that sold you the S800 and demand compensation for your time and frustration. If they did nothing but assumable, bill, and ship this unit I would be very upset. Validating the airworthiness for the price you paid should be demanded.

-Bob

Wallie78

I find it interesting that the dealer that sold and shipped this unit did not do any pre-deliver verification of the aircraft. Whatever your issues are that need resolving you should filter this back to the company that sold you the S800 and demand compensation for your time and frustration. If they did nothing but assumable, bill, and ship this unit I would be very upset. Validating the airworthiness for the price you paid should be demanded.

-Bob

Actually TBM Florida have been awesome....cannot fault them....couple of issues but their communication is second to none...they did test fly and sent me video's also.....Great service from beginning to now.....it's hard relaying from the other side of the world so to save waiting till midnight in Australia each night to call them I find the forums help hugely in diagnosing issues...

In the end it seems the 'white lights' were just the amber lights showing low voltage warning....adjusted low voltage warning lower and got 11-12 minutes flight time......Charger is only charging batteries up to 95% though so still trying to work through that issue...

Evo drives like a ferrari.....

Just need to tweak gimbal, tiny bit of vibration....any thoughts on ridding myself of this??

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Great that you fixed it mate! The default voltage protection does kick in a bit early so lowering it is the way to go. New lipos also suffer from an increased voltage drop in flight for the first few flights until they have been broken-in a bit, sometimes they sit on shelves for a while before being sold.

deluge2

Flashing white LED indicates bad data usually caused be excessive vibration. Thanks to your detailed post, the likely Curitiba and first thing to fix is clear. As Tahoe Ed has indicated, the problem is quite likely the choice of IMU mounting material that someone made, a choice that is expressly *not* recommended. With Velcro, anything mounted will shake like a leaf. This leads to garbage inputs to the IMU, despite its internal sensor damping.

this might not be the only thing to look at. So consider how you might reduce vibration sources, especially if after proper IMU mounting, the problem persists. Obvious potential sources are poorly balanced blades, improper blade mount tensions, unbalanced motors, and/or problems with damped motor mounts.

May want to check you low voltage settings, as you know you should definitely get longer flight time from 6s 16 Ah. What was the mAh input when you recharged that battery?

Steve

Hi Guys, purchased a new EVO couple of weeks ago. We have been flying 450/550 for awhile but decided to upgrade...Built in Florida by TBM and shipped out to Australia.

Maiden flight yesterday. Flew beautifully first battery but the 16,000mah battery only lasted 5 minutes?? Strange??

Second battery/flight - we hovered high, retracted the landing gear and about a minute later we get white lights, we noticed what seemed like oscillation or vibration in the gimble also just after take-off, whereas we could visibly see the gimble shaking. It wasn't very windy but there was some wind. We flew in GPS and course mode.

Spoke with the guys at TBM and they suggested we drop down gains by 10% as this would help with shake. We adjusted the gain and flew again today. Flew for about 4 minutes ok but noticed gimble shake again then white lights again....COG seemed spot on also. It also seems a fully charged battery lasts only 5 mins on a full charge so not sure if that's linked.

I cannot find a huge amount of info on white lights but not sure where to go from here??

Can anyone suggest any help??? I have attached our A2 settings also, IMU is mounted using velcro on H PLate...

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Actually TBM Florida have been awesome....cannot fault them....couple of issues but their communication is second to none...they did test fly and sent me video's also.....Great service from beginning to now.....it's hard relaying from the other side of the world so to save waiting till midnight in Australia each night to call them I find the forums help hugely in diagnosing issues...

In the end it seems the 'white lights' were just the amber lights showing low voltage warning....adjusted low voltage warning lower and got 11-12 minutes flight time......Charger is only charging batteries up to 95% though so still trying to work through that issue...

Evo drives like a ferrari.....

Just need to tweak gimbal, tiny bit of vibration....any thoughts on ridding myself of this??

Flashing white LED indicates bad data usually caused be excessive vibration. Thanks to your detailed post, the likely Curitiba and first thing to fix is clear. As Tahoe Ed has indicated, the problem is quite likely the choice of IMU mounting material that someone made, a choice that is expressly *not* recommended. With Velcro, anything mounted will shake like a leaf. This leads to garbage inputs to the IMU, despite its internal sensor damping.

this might not be the only thing to look at. So consider how you might reduce vibration sources, especially if after proper IMU mounting, the problem persists. Obvious potential sources are poorly balanced blades, improper blade mount tensions, unbalanced motors, and/or problems with damped motor mounts.

May want to check you low voltage settings, as you know you should definitely get longer flight time from 6s 16 Ah. What was the mAh input when you recharged that battery?

Steve

He solved it mate. Not a white light, just amber. Adjusted his low voltage and all good.