Attaining a hover!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluge2

Despite the fact that the OP specifically indicates a problem with vertical position, a number of responses have mentioned GPS issues (from 'Have you not got GPS?' to GPS is not functioning correctly). It's not clear why GPS issues would be raised as possible causes for difficulty maintaining constant altitude. Altitude is sensed by the IMU altimeter, GPS is not involved. This is obvious since vertical position can (usually) be maintained when in ATTI mode and when no GPS signal is present (eg indoors). Can someone comment on why/how GPS dysfunction would produce the problem described?

Since the OP's reported difficulty is finding the balance point between ascending slowly and descending slowly, this suggests no big problem with the FC or the transmitter basic function. Remaining issues include ESC calibration (if non-DJI ESCs are being used) or difficulty reliably and easily placing the throttle stick at mid-point. This might be fixed by repeating complete transmitter calibration.

It might be useful to carefully observe vertical positioning after using the pattern of NAZA LED signaling to achieve neutral positions for both stick in both axes. If this state is attained and vertical hold is maintained, then making the throttle self-centering would be a fix.

Steve

With my Disco Pro and newly-built F550 (maidened this morning!), both with Naza V2, I have trouble in keeping a hover. It seems as if I'm always in a slight ascent or descent. Can I get it so that it stays at the altitude I set it at, like I can with my Phantom? I'm using the T8J.

Don't do it. Keep the throttle linear. Have you not got GPS? It will keep in one place easy then.

Sounds like a GPS issue to me, I have never touched the throttle curves when flying a DJI or Multirotor products.
DJI GPS may by faulty or poor GPS signal.
DJI GPS on the Naza accuracy are + or - 2.5m Horizontal & 0.8m Vertical.
Allow for windy conditions.
Did you do the GPS calibration ?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Now you're talking. All my sticks self-center, as I mentioned earlier. Makes it easy to hover then. You can also have a heart attack and your aircraft will stay put (I'm a smoker so have to consider this :nevreness:). So now GPS has horizontal but not vertical positioning, interesting comment. At least we're not talking about flattening the throttle curve anymore like the OP was originally asking.

Try not to take forum posts personally Steve. It seems you are misreading some of the posts. Getting your point across in written form is often a challenge. :02.47-tranquillity:

Tahoe Ed

Despite the fact that the OP specifically indicates a problem with vertical position, a number of responses have mentioned GPS issues (from 'Have you not got GPS?' to GPS is not functioning correctly). It's not clear why GPS issues would be raised as possible causes for difficulty maintaining constant altitude. Altitude is sensed by the IMU altimeter, GPS is not involved. This is obvious since vertical position can (usually) be maintained when in ATTI mode and when no GPS signal is present (eg indoors). Can someone comment on why/how GPS dysfunction would produce the problem described?

Since the OP's reported difficulty is finding the balance point between ascending slowly and descending slowly, this suggests no big problem with the FC or the transmitter basic function. Remaining issues include ESC calibration (if non-DJI ESCs are being used) or difficulty reliably and easily placing the throttle stick at mid-point. This might be fixed by repeating complete transmitter calibration.

It might be useful to carefully observe vertical positioning after using the pattern of NAZA LED signaling to achieve neutral positions for both stick in both axes. If this state is attained and vertical hold is maintained, then making the throttle self-centering would be a fix.

Steve

Steve,

I think that you have accurately analyzed the situation. If you are not using a self centering throttle you will have variations in altitude based on the specs of the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.