New DJI Ronin Gimbal 16lb capacity

SoCal Blur

Based on the fact that the camera was not staying horizontal...(it was tilted to one side if you look closely) I'm guessing "Auto Tune" still has some bugs...

maxwelltub

Ya i definitely noticed the roll was off. looked like he was really tossing it around, but I am optimistic that part will be worked out. My zenmuse gimbals just work really well so thinking this one will also. But that being said I wont be the first to buy it.

Tahoe Ed

There was a lot of buzz about the Ronin at NAB. It brought almost as many crowds as the multi rotor heli's flying in the DJI cages.

sk8brd

it also would of been nice for the gimbal to roll so the cam in not upside down. was it too difficult to make the camera level at its world premiere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I see that use on MRs hasn't been designed in specifically which is an odd move I think. I'm sure mounting it to an MR wont be too much of a problem but no slip rings like the Zens ie things like Lightbridge wont be very useable with this on an MR

Tuukkuli

it also would of been nice for the gimbal to roll so the cam in not upside down. was it too difficult to make the camera level at its world premiere.

Nuff said. Once again, specs look good, but with DJI in question, it does not mean the gimbal would actually work at all as advertised. Take my experience with 5D Zenmuse: First came with broken tilt motor and I was unable to even test it, the other had around 20-30 degrees of horizontal drift. DJI was about to send me a third one after maybe 50 emails, but my reseller kindly offered to take the Zen 5D gimbal back and replace it with a Movi M5.

DJI pouring out new products all the time clearly don't have the ability or time to finish their products to an acceptable level. I would never buy this Ronin one because I don't like the high probability of being frustrated and angry with a 5K product. What´s more it is a shameless ripoff of the Movi M10. Even the stand is an exact copy.

ChrisViperM

If this DJI gimbal works....it could be great....NAB 2014

Just found this DJI gimbal at a NAB Youtube channel....first of all: it's a relieve to see a young guy representing DJI who keeps a low profile and knows what he is talking about....just the opposite of that "VIP-*****" Colin Quinn.

Most interesting statements in that video: Self leveling of the camera.....price-tag under $ 5.000

But knowing DJI for a long time now, being masters in selling "professional" equipment which never could step up to it's colorfull marketing blabla and a world record holder in bad customer service....I got my little concerns.

But you never know.....

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Professional TV production kit needs good service - not a strong point of DJI. Would DJI understand that professional service turn round time should be measured in days rather than months, quarterly - never!

maxwelltub

I only have the G15 and the h3-2d and never has any problems. Sorry to hear about your experience with the 5d zenmuse. I am excited to check this gimbal out but certainly won't be first in line because of stories like that. I think the slip rings are one of the weak points of the zenmuse in the long run so I am not sad to see those go. Do you think that was a LB transmitter strapped to the bottom of the camera platform?

sk8brd

tuukkuli. what i seen so far looks great on the m5. the 5d zen issues are being reported much more now that people are getting there s1000's in the air. they need to sort that out for people $3k isn't cheap in my book.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Let's hope that those who jump in with crossed fingers that all will be wonderful will also write of their experiences. I would not trust this item at all yet - particularly as it isn't even working right in the video.

DJI say it is based on Zenmuse technology. This is already sufficient to ring alarm bells and raise Caution flags.

The original Z15 always did work reasonably well, but it did have its little quirks and annoyances. The Z15-GH3 is an improvement and does generally work better but it too is a 'work-in-progress'. It could not, for example, be used as a handheld, because the Pan axis tends to freak out after 90° in at least two of the modes, and it still has a problem with speed steps. As the Ronin was not even behaving properly at its NAB debut, it is reasonable to assume that it will suffer from the same poor performance issues as all the other Zenmuse models.

We already know that DJI will be more interested in producing slick new videos to sell more units than in helping those poor suckers who buy faulty Ronins.

Proceed with caution.

Tahoe Ed

The Ronin is a solid platform. There were many people testing it at NAB. The demo video was very impressive. I got comments from many Video Pros that they were buying when available. At less that $5K there is nothing on the market that compares. Believe me there is a lot of competition. Everyone has a handheld gimbal.

Quinton

The Ronin is a solid platform. There were many people testing it at NAB. The demo video was very impressive. I got comments from many Video Pros that they were buying when available. At less that $5K there is nothing on the market that compares. Believe me there is a lot of competition. Everyone has a handheld gimbal.

Thats a bit like saying the Zenmuse is a solid platform.
It is when it works, but tell that to all the users who have purchased a 5D Zenmuse the last few months and are waiting for an update to "fix" their problems.
It looked really impressive in the video, except you could see that the person was struggling to hide the roll axis being off.

A really good thing about it is the self levelling, that would make it pretty unique, but the real problem here is DJI they tend to release things before they are ready, and give customers no help whatsoever.
It is the resellers (and support people like yourself) that take the brunt of things, and to be honest there is not much you can do.

Just as an example, the 5D Zenmuse has been out now for a few months, there are loads of problems still to be addressed, but there has not been 1 mention of any kind of fix coming any time soon.
Is that acceptable for a £2000 product, not in my eyes.
Meanwhile DJI rub peoples noses in t showing a picture on their web site of the 5D Zenmuse with a Canon L 16-35mm lens, and not 1 single mention of it anywhere, not to mention that its pretty certain that a new Zenmuse will now be released a few months after everyone has bought probably that will include a new slipring to incorporate the Lightbridge USB cable directly.

Any other company would allow a return to upgrade to the latest product if it happened so quickly not DJI, quite frankly they do not really care about their previous customers who have just spent thousands on their products.
They are great at getting information about new products out there, they are not so great regarding customer support when there is probems, they let their resellers/support staff deal with that who usually do not have a definitive answer, they are usually guessing.

jetbootz

Agree
for the last 2 years , customers who put DJI where they are today have been asking for SIMPLE software upgrade on the original z15 for ramping and damping. ALEXMOS can do it.
DJI promised a couple of months ago, and guess what , we all thought it was an empty promise again. and AGAIN , its an empty promise.
They dont care about their customers.
they are just markeing company
One day , they will get burned by someone who actually supports customers and ACTUALLY updates firmware when needed.
its a joke