How do I put a Zenmuse on my F550?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Cable ties?

I'm not sure there's an adaptor plate yet but I am also considering the H3-3D. I imagine we'd have to make something that fits at the moment.

adanac

Does DJI not make something that will allow one to use a Zenmuse with an F550? Are they not either the same company or related companies?

Cable ties?

I'm not sure there's an adaptor plate yet but I am also considering the H3-3D. I imagine we'd have to make something that fits at the moment.

Mojave

What do I need to put an H3-2D (or 3D) on my F550?

I used this http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=20

I fly my H3-2D on my 550 rig with 2 Nano- tech 6000mAh batteries and get about 15 minutes with the 10x3.8 props. Although I may downsize and use something like Yuri's batwing mount:

http://www.irisaerial.com/products.html

... and add the leg extensions he sells to elevate instead of the aeroxcraft landing gear. The Aeroxcraft rig is rather heavy but it is a good system for balancing the load; I am not sorry that I got it.

adanac

That DJI offers no way to use an F550 and H3-2D together blows me away. Also, I purchased the package from Aerial Media Pros and they also never mentioned that I have to search elsewhere for a way to attach a Zenmuse to an F550. They should have.

Mojave

That DJI offers no way to use an F550 and H3-2D together blows me away. Also, I purchased the package from Aerial Media Pros and they also never mentioned that I have to search elsewhere for a way to attach a Zenmuse to an F550. They should have.

I got my kit at AMP as well. This forum has been key to me 'finding stuff out' and the folks here have been very helpful. Learning to search the forum has been important for me; then asking questions. I also have a word document that I track what I have read; there are some good nuggets of information, vendors, etc.

DJI does have a landing gear for the 450 and 550 that I tried, but others have added to more elegant solutions for these DJI systems IMO.

Benjamin Kenobi

I'm surprised no one on here mentioned the batwing. I sell tons of them just for that purpose.

if you google batwing f550 tons of pics will come up. I always keep them in stock since its such a hot item.

I used this http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=20

I fly my H3-2D on my 550 rig with 2 Nano- tech 6000mAh batteries and get about 15 minutes with the 10x3.8 props. Although I may downsize and use something like Yuri's batwing mount:

... and add the leg extensions he sells to elevate instead of the aeroxcraft landing gear. The Aeroxcraft rig is rather heavy but it is a good system for balancing the load; I am not sorry that I got it.

There you go Yuri, you were mentioned.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation

Attachments

• DSC_4972.jpg
    DSC_4972.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_4957.jpg
    DSC_4957.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_4961.jpg
    DSC_4961.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 257

adanac

The batwing was mentioned just two or three posts above, which is why I emailed you! It's meant to attach the Zenmuse to, correct? I've seen earlier references to hard-mounting, which is not what I'd like to do.

The batwing might be a solution for me but I'm not sure I want to be married to rear battery placement.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
One way or another, if you stick your camera out front you are going to have a slight balance issue. The only other way is to hang the camera much lower and either have retracts or a slim profiled LG setup like the heavy lifters. When I had my first Xaircraft with that flimsy plastic LG set, it wobbled all over the place. It was shaking so bad that it was contributing to my jello problems. They are very durable and snap on/off easily though which is nice. Also, we didnt have brushless gimbals then that would correct for flaws. In general, rigid is better.

adanac

Thank you for that great perspective. I think this is where I am decision-wise. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using two batwings? I imagine that the center of gravity will be slightly lower. Is that bad or good. I'm also going to need landing gear anyway. Still confused about it all.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The initial goal of my batwing and legs was to get a gopro to mount to the f450/550 without seeing props or legs. When the camera is mounted up front on the batwing, most place the battery under the lower frame plate. because you need the legs anyways to clear the gopro, the battery will fit as well. I have run my own personal f450/550 with the battery under the plate and it has worked fine. Though, when you add the zenmuse and gopro to the front I think it is better to have the flexibility to move your battery weight back a bit. And for that reason most people end up getting 2 of them. Having legs is a must regardless of the setup as you dont want to have to hand launch/land and landing on the ground with a zenmuse would be bad!

Benjamin Kenobi

I top mount my lipos on the F550. Great for your COG. And then you can have your camera/gimbal bang in the center underneath.

adanac

The question is how! This is what sometimes drives me nuts about this business - there is no way to find out what gear/practice is good. You just have to buy things and try them. If they don't work, you're out that money and have to try again! It's also nutty that DJI doesn't offer a way to attach their gimbal to their multi.

I top mount my lipos on the F550. Great for your COG. And then you can have your camera/gimbal bang in the center underneath.