Questions for multi-rotor vets...

wpaoli

Hello, everyone! Great forums you have here. <o:p>
</o

<o:p>Let me get started by saying that I don’t have any local support for this hobby. I’m a lone wolf. It’s two hours to the nearest hobbyshop and all they sell are RC cars and trucks. I don’t have any friends who are involved in the hobby and the nearest club is about two and a half hours away.The Internet is my only option for bouncing ideas off of anyone. I have good knowledge of electronics and I’ve built some custom RC trucks with light soldiering and I can build a high-end computer from parts.<o:p>
</o

<o:p>Anyway, I’m a Phantom owner and I love it, but I’m outgrowing it. I want to go bigger and I want to understand the technical side of multi-rotors. I’ve settled on stepping up to a hexacopter, but I’m not going DJI S800 EVOcrazy; I don’t have that kind of budget. What I do have is about $1000-$1300 to spend. I’ve narrowed it down to three options and I’d like your feedback (I have a Futaba t8j new in the box):<o:p>
</o

<o:p>1. DJI F550 kit<o:p></o
2 HeliPal’s RTF Storm Drone 6
3. Build a custom hex based on the Tarot FY680 Pro<o:p>
</o

<o:p>The cheapest option is the F550 with a GoPro gimbal and theNaza-M V2 with GPS, but flight times are about the same as they are with thePhantom- all told I’m looking at about $850-$950. The Storm Drone 6 is basically a rip-off ofthe F550, but it’s RTF and seems to have a lot of positive reviews. Again, the flight time is about 8-10 minutes... and nicely equipped I can have it for about $1200 with two extra batteries. I’ve been leaning towards building the TarotFY680 Pro with these parts:<o:p></o

<o:p>Tarot FY680 Pro frame<o:p></o
Tarot 4006 (620kv) Motors (for a 4s battery)<o:p></o
Hobbywing Platinum 30A-OPTO Pro ESC (B-Type)<o:p></o
Tarot 1255 Carbon Props (12”)<o:p></o
DJI Naza-M V2 with GPS<o:p></o
Helipal’s Multi Rotor Power Line pack (wire kit)<o:p></o
14.8V 5500mah 35C 4s battery<o:p></o
Gimbal for GoPro<o:p></o

<o:p>That setup with shipping and a few extra parts brings me to roughly $1100.00 give or take for the Tarot. This setup also allows me to upgrade and gives me pretty decent flight times of 12-15 minutes (or so I assume based on research).

<o:p>Here are my questions?<o:p></o
<o:p>1. With my budget, what would you consider?<o:p></o
2. Based on your experiences with first-time builds, am I getting in over my head with the Tarot? <o:p></o
3. Looking at the parts I have listed, what do I need to addto have a complete setup?<o:p></o

<o:p>I would really appreciate your feedback.<o:p></o</o</o</o</o</o
</o</o</o</o

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

If you go Y6 you can put on much larger props which = more flight time. You will sacrifice a bit of time going coax, but you will fly better in wind and be able to go much larger on props - you'll also need lower kv motors. Flight time is low kv motors and bigger props.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly people here.

I'm also a lone wolf and have yet to go to a hobby store or model shop. All online and Youtube for me. And now my hobby is the sole source of income for me and my wife! And we live well.

Have fun! :tennis:

SoCal Blur

Of the choices you listed I would recommend that you go with the Tarot FY680 . It will give you a strong, light, high-quality frame that you can customize and easily upgrade as your needs change. One of the nice things about the 680 is the folding arms which makes it easy to transport. I wish the arms on my Octo would fold. At 50", it doesn't fit in my Jeep Liberty. I have to borrow a truck or van to cart it around. I didn't really consider the transport issues until after it was built. LOL.

wolph42

Lone wolf here as well. I'm still searching for the right combination and haven't found it yet. What I can offer you is to check out my simple calc tool. It helps getting the parts aligned (and checks whether it fits). After that cram it in ecalc for the real pre build test.

link to it is in my signature.

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Do you plan to upgrade to larger cameras in the future? That FY680 will fit a larger power system so possibly carry a SOny NEX on a 2 axis gimbal though you may need to extend the landing gear.

wpaoli

Thanks for the responses, all. In all seriousness, how difficult is building this thing going to be? What was your hardest challenge?

SoCal Blur

Thanks for the responses, all. In all seriousness, how difficult is building this thing going to be? What was your hardest challenge?

Patience is the hardest challenge. Some of it, waiting for parts. Some of it, having to do the research so you get some idea of how to build it. And finally, not taking any shortcuts just so you can fly it today.

If you take your time and don't rush, building is not difficult. Just do your research and when you get stuck, ask questions.

If you can be patient I would wait until TBS comes out with their new propulsion system. Supposedly it is supposed to go with the MOB arm extensions, 6S battery, disco pro and have amazing flight times. That's probably where I will migrate if it has good results!

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
About 2 years ago I was where you are. Based on your background I don't see that you will have an issue. The only soldering you will need to do is to solder the motors to the power distribution board or wire harness. Programming of the Naza is done through the GUI where you fill in the boxes, pick from a drop down, etc. Knowing what I know today, and based on Tarot's solid reputation I would go with what you are going with and the Tarot gimbal. You will want bigger batteries, consider 8000 mah. Although without knowing weight I am guessing. I think you'll enjoy putting it together, and flying it. Have fun and good luck.

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly people here.

I'm also a lone wolf and have yet to go to a hobby store or model shop. All online and Youtube for me. And now my hobby is the sole source of income for me and my wife! And we live well.

Have fun! :tennis:

Love your Showreel, and your site. The quality of your video is amazing! You're doing, in the UK, what I want to be doing, here in the US. Mind if I ask - I know you have an S800, but are you also flying your GH2 on the F550? And if so, what parts make up that rig? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tarot FY680 Pro build, initially with a GoPro, but hope to strap on a GH2 in the future. Do you think I'm aiming too high with the FY680?