FrySky Taranis X9D

Spinning Magnet

All's Well That Ends Well
Hi all,

Came across this product from an Aussie dealer, its very well priced well under $300 delivered to my door, apparently its a 16CH Digital Telemetry Radio System (open source) Mode 2, and would like to know if its a good enough radio for a beginner, or am I just better off to spend the extra $$ and just go for a Fataba right from the get go.

Would be good to hear some comments :frog:

Cheers

SM

Spinning Magnet

Yep I am new to all of this, never been involved in anything RC in my life, so its starting with a little multicopter

Just wanted to make sure as I punched the name in the search and nothing came up, and thought better ask before I buy, as most times when I think I get it wrong

Cheers for confirming it for me though Jake.

SM

SoCal Blur

Great radio - I have one. Got the radio and 16 channel receiver for $209 in the States! They go fast and a lot of places are on backorder.

Spinning Magnet

Mate talk about going fast, I contacted the seller this morning to order and pay, & far out brussel sprouts, they had sold out already from yesterday having them in stock, so your right on the money SoCal, they said it will be just over a month before they will have any more, but the price down under was $275 AU + freight (this included transmitter).

So what I did is put my name down and just gonna wait, as I probably will have my quadcopter just about all here by then anyway, so no big deal, spent quite a few hours last night on You Tube watching reviews on the Taranis, was very informative and now I want to try one for my first Radio.

By the way Bartman your review on the Naza V2 was flipping "FANTASTIC", for me being a total "green horn" to this hobby I cant tell you enough how informative it was, great effort and look forward to more reviews from you.

Cheers

SM

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mate talk about going fast, I contacted the seller this morning to order and pay, & far out brussel sprouts, they had sold out already from yesterday having them in stock, so your right on the money SoCal, they said it will be just over a month before they will have any more, but the price down under was $275 AU + freight (this included transmitter).

So what I did is put my name down and just gonna wait, as I probably will have my quadcopter just about all here by then anyway, so no big deal, spent quite a few hours last night on You Tube watching reviews on the Taranis, was very informative and now I want to try one for my first Radio.

By the way Bartman your review on the Naza V2 was flipping "FANTASTIC", for me being a total "green horn" to this hobby I cant tell you enough how informative it was, great effort and look forward to more reviews from you.

Cheers

SM

thanks. that reminds me actually, I have to get a flying review done for it now that the snow's almost gone. I have an H3-2D gimbal review ready to go also, just need a few more pictures and some sample footage. the weather's finally starting to break out here so it shouldn't be long.

bart

Spinning Magnet

Look forward to more reviews, keep them coming I reckon, its a great learning tool for me to actually watch and listen to the ins & outs of a product, especially when I'm going to be using them, it really gave me a heads up, this forum has been such a great tool for me, I've been involved in the Aviation industry pretty much for the last 20 years, I operate a machine shop making components for the aviation industry & have some ideas in my head on designing and making some components for multicopters, so will use myself as a guinea pig to see if my concepts value adds to my multicopter.

Cheers

SM

Bartman

X8R receivers are still out of stock though. :(

anyone have an extra and I'll replace it as soon as they're in stock?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinning Magnet

Bartman sounds like you have purchased a Taranis X9D & its on its way, fingers crossed if you have I would (and I think their would others) very much look forward to a review by yourself on the product & setting it up, I have ordered mine today and should have it in about 4 weeks or so, no big deal for me to wait, I'm actually very much enjoying reading up on all the info that's around on the forum.

Cheers

SM

dazzab

Hi all,
Came across this product from an Aussie dealer, its very well priced well under $300 delivered to my door, apparently its a 16CH Digital Telemetry Radio System (open source) Mode 2, and would like to know if its a good enough radio for a beginner, or am I just better off to spend the extra $$ and just go for a Fataba right from the get go.
SM
I love mine and it seems like great value. Where did you find them in stock? I know that Bolt RC in Perth sell a lot of them at a good price. I got mine from http://www.extremerc.com.au who were excellent to deal with. You will probably want to change yours to mode 1 which is more common in Aus and probably what anyone helping you out will be expecting. But now that I've mentioned that get ready for a flood of messages about which is best. It's one of 'those' topics that people go on and on about.

Spinning Magnet

Excellent Jake, thanks heaps for this link, Scott explains it very well, am going to watch the rest of the videos tonight, I must say it seems a lot of controller for the price its hard to go past I reckon, Oh and yes Dazza Bolt RC has them in stock, but they are the most expensive if you don't want to wait.

Cheers
SM

Bartman

I love mine and it seems like great value. Where did you find them in stock? I know that Bolt RC in Perth sell a lot of them at a good price. I got mine from http://www.extremerc.com.au who were excellent to deal with. You will probably want to change yours to mode 1 which is more common in Aus and probably what anyone helping you out will be expecting. But now that I've mentioned that get ready for a flood of messages about which is best. It's one of 'those' topics that people go on and on about.

picked one up last night at Hobbyking.com. need a receiver though, ordered two but they're backordered at the moment.

lots of extra radios on hand at the moment, maybe should just unload all of them and buy the Futaba 10 channel jobber.....

thanks for posting that video, that should be very helpful.