DJI Flight Controller - pricey but impressive

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay my setups together,

Rc Carbon/Coptersky Hexa 900 mm frame.
AXi 2820/14 didnt want to wait another 4 weeks for the bigger ones.
Switching back Graupner Modul to PCM 35MHZ
Receiver - SMC 16 SCAN 35 MHz Graupner
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC.

Boris

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Man, where do some of you guys get money to try the latest and greatest stuff? I have to count the shekels and pass it through the financial committee (wife) before I can even consider a purchase. All the red tape really slows down the buying processing and reduces my Visa bill.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The box arrived this morning much to my surprise considering we were pounded by a hurricane in the previous 24 hours and not much of anything has power around here!

Now all I need is the info on how to setup a custom mixer table and I'll be able to fly the Y6 once I get the flight controllers swapped over.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
uh uh excited ! Best of luck to getting this thing up and flying without any complications. And hope your area wants hit to bad !

Boris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
What no soldering involved? Ah c'mon, at least leave a resistor out so we can be at fault for doing something wrong. Or maybe cut one of the pins off and make us buy it for 10 times what it is worth. I am being sarcastic as I usually am but I am really glad to see a great product out there regardless of price. I would consider buying this unit to use someday soon.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm mine is already bricked I guess because of a firmware upgrade :( lets see what happens.

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Boris
That is not a good start! It needs an upgrade already?

The first release only had support for flat hexa and quad, the release yesterday contained support for Y6 because I and a couple of other people had them built, ready to go, and were requesting mixer tables for them. The update was scheduled for next week but due to the requests for Y6 mixer tables they accelerated the release. The issue is that there is a specific procedure that needs to be followed when doing a firmware update and if the steps get out of order or something doesn't go right it comes back with an error that can't be cleared.

This happened to one person over on RCG and now Boris has the same issue so they haven't had time to look into it yet and come up with the fix. Hopefully it doesn't involve shipping the controller back, seems like they would be able to come up with some software that will do the job remotely, just going to take some time for the engineers to look into it and figure it out.

Not unusual for version 1 software to have some glitches, this seems to be a lot more solid than pretty much every other flight controller software I've used. The only problems I've had I caused myself, like not realizing I had misconfigured a setting on my TX that was putting the WKN into failsafe mode when I selected flight mode 2. Took me a while to figure out why it stopped responding to the controls and went into a stable hover every time I flipped that switch.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

actually have a guy from RCgroups, I didnt quite understand him he might closely be linked to DJI or even one of them, working on it with me. They changed the Software assistant in the meantime a couple times. So they seem to be actively working on it which I appreciate. At least i got it from a "plate NO. unmachted" "error back to the state were i can update the firmware, but I still get a CFG-ERR(8) error.

I feel confident though since they are really working on it. At the same time this whole authentication procedure in order to configure the Hardware hmm :) One more extra were a fault can happen.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay its back to life. Reinstalled the asistant again newest verion fired it up again and all the error messages are gone. Dont know what really caused the issue but its back. was able to calibrate my the TX systems so it seems to work. !

Boris

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Ken, does that mean it's not configured for an octo setup yet?

Please could you post a few pics of the kit, mostly interested in what it looks like size wise in the airframe and what it consists of. The pics on their website don't show it in relation to anything else.

Cheers, Gunter.

Maximus

Ken, does that mean it's not configured for an octo setup yet?

Please could you post a few pics of the kit, mostly interested in what it looks like size wise in the airframe and what it consists of. The pics on their website don't show it in relation to anything else.

Cheers, Gunter.
Pics for you ;)
Maximus
006.jpg

012.jpg

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Just spotted a video on how they test in wind...

Last edited by a moderator:

tammo

This controller looks promising but that long GPS stick is going to break very soon.
Cant you just put that thing on one of the arms if it has to be distanced from the FC?