Death by Research: Help me pull the trigger!!

Jpdeuce

First post...been lurking for a while. Thanks for all the great info found in these threads. Have read through the Group Build sticky thread a bunch of times, but I feel like the more I read the further I get from making a purchase. Hopefully y'all can help me get over the hump. I have a Blade mQX that I've been having fun with, but now I want something for the GoPro. A buddy just got the Phantom with Naza v2 and another buddy just built a 450 with a Pixhawk/ublox setup (leaning toward this route).

While this will be my first build, I work around small electronics at work and the build part of it is not what causes me hesitation. For me it's just the massive amount of choices. I like the DJI 450/550 frame, but I also really like the look of the Tarot frames and the idea of the thin/smooth arms as opposed to the wide arms of the Flamewheel. I'm not looking for a heli that can do everything and I have zero interest in an acrobatic venture. I am only interested in a stable platform for the GoPro that can stay up in the air as long as possible (short of a multi-thousand $$ build).

Ideally, I'd be looking for something that could hover around a soccer field and capture views of the kids playing that you can't get with any other platform. Also, I'd be interested in something that could cover a crew (rowing) race either on a pre-programmed flight or at least covering the finish line (again views you can't get from watching on the shore from one fixed position). I don't foresee it needing to carry a DSLR or anything, but a GoPro and gimbal for a decent amount of time is a must.

Some of the things I have decided on to help narrow it down:
- Quad/Hex with GoPro/gimbal (unsure now on FPV but potentially would like to see what the GoPro is seeing to "frame" the shot).
- Needs some stable flying modes including Loiter and Return to Home, would also like the option of the flying mode that is based on the Heli's position to me rather than which way it is pointing (don't know the name for that)
- Would really like to program points along the river, or points around a soccer/lacrosse field and have it do programmed flights (and programming/controlling where the camera is focused)
- I like the idea of the Flysky/Turnigy Tx/Radio, but would like a PPM? Rx option for wire simplicity to FC

OK, perhaps this will get some ideas generated. I'd like to keep this build under $1,000 USD. I feel like that should be enough to upgrade from the base model motors and props to potentially get longer flight times, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance. There seem to be a lot of threads like this, but it's good to have so many experienced brains to pick.

Regards
JP

Jpdeuce

Placeholder to keep track of decisions I've made for the build (we'll see if this ever gets filled)

wolph42

Funny I'm looking for exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. I'm not finished yet, but here's what I got so far:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?17711-New-build-F550-including-explanations
I would let the notion of flying it near kids go though as by now I realise it's simply too dangerous. I've seen too many threads where copters do something unexpected.

O and unfortunately, after a while you can no longer edit posts, so your placeholder is pointless. Petty the moderators chose that form. It leads to a lot of unreadable clutter...

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

=Jpdeuce;154049....Ideally, I'd be looking for something that could hover around a soccer field and capture views of the kids playing that you can't get with any other platform. Also, I'd be interested in something that could cover a crew (rowing) race either on a pre-programmed flight or at least covering the finish line (again views you can't get from watching on the shore from one fixed position). I don't foresee it needing to carry a DSLR or anything, but a GoPro and gimbal for a decent amount of time is a must.

Those reasons sound cool but I have to say are bad ideas....especially someone new to flying multirotors. One of the basic rules is to not fly your multi over or near people. If something were to happen and it came crashing down to earth you could take out one or more of those kids playing soccer, or a rowing crew.

I think it's good that you're leaning towards building something as opposed to getting a RTF multi. You might want to start with a search for multirotor fames... There are plenty out there. Then you can build it with an eye towards upgrading it down the road.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I had hundreds of successful flights with a small Hex so I figured it was safe to fly near young children in a local park.... But suddenly the Hex developed a mind of its own and started hop-scotching all over the park...... very little to none RC control. It could have seriously injured someone. As there was no one hurt and not property damage, I got off lucky. The cause was traced back to motor and/or prop vibration. Don't assume that because the previous 500 flights went well... that the next flight will also go as well......

Jpdeuce

Thanks for the feedback and tips regarding safety. Point well taken. I do not intend on jumping right in and taking it over water or around people immediately for the great reasons y'all have discussed. There are risks though with any flights. There's a risk these take off, fly away, and cause damage to a small plane, or end up in the windshield of a car, causing damage to people and property, but that doesn't keep people from flying them at all. I do appreciate the input, and I will be judicious in how I use what gets built...assuming anything gets built. :dejection:

You might want to start with a search for multirotor fames...

So, it seems like a lot of people like the DJI Flamewheel. Not sure if it's just because of the power distro or because the wide arms make building it and strapping things on easier. I don't mind that frame at all, but I heard some concern regarding the width of the arms. With a mind toward flight times, didn't know if I should consider something along the lines of a Tarot frame instead. I do like the Flamewheel and would lean toward the F550 I think if someone had a gun to my head today.

However, most of the ARF kits come with the 2212 motors, and I was thinking I would potentially start with a slight upgrade over that. Not sure I need to go with Tiger, but maybe something in between (SunnySky??)...or maybe the 2215 motors?

O and unfortunately, after a while you can no longer edit posts, so your placeholder is pointless.

Uh oh!! Guess I better start making decisions fast. :livid:

I started off with the Flamewheel Hex F550 then decided I needed longer arms to accommodate larger props with better motors. So I ended up going this way and with no regrets. http://www.rctimer.com/product_809.html
Chose these motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4830_420Kv_22Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html and Turnigy 30A Multistar ESCs.
Later added two axis brushless gimbal and added the Hero GoPro...... logged over 150 successful flights and still hanging on to this nice flying machine.
View attachment 16793

Attachments

• RCT800.jpg
    RCT800.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 233

JCcreative

I just build an F450 to just kind of stick my foot in the door of aerial video, and i could not be happier!

No matter what you end up choosing, going from a small quad like the Blade to a bigger quad is tons of fun!

I really do like the naza with gps. Its super easy to setup and makes flying fun. If you do end up going the f450/550 route, i would definitely start out with some better motors than the stock motors included with the ARF.

Also Scott, thats a pretty awesome looking rig! What size props are you using on those multistars?

Jpdeuce

OK, so Ive definitely decided on the RCT800 frame. I've been doing a ton of research to try and figure out the right motor/esc/prop combo. I've tried PMing some people on this board and others to get some tips along these lines, but have not had success at getting replies. So, hopefully I can update this post and maybe get some feedback. I'm definitely going for an efficient flyer and trying to get better flight times within my budget for a gimbal and GoPro. What I've gathered from lots of reading is that lower kv motors with good sized props and 6s batteries will help me do this.

The trick is finding 6s batteries in the low kv range that are within my budget. I've been developing a list and will soon pick one. At some point I just need to pick and move forward. The next challenge will be finding a good ESC to match that can handle 6s batteries as well.

The things I am for sure on at this point are RCT800 frame, Pixhawk/ublox FC/GPS, and Turnigy/Flysky 9x Tx/Rx. Leaning towards adding the Tarot 2D gimbal and GoPro after I get this thing up in the air and feeling good about it. Then some point down the road will be an addition of the wireless link for telemetry.

Thank in advance for any advice and guidance toward any pieces that have worked for you that might work for me.

wolph42

So, hopefully I can update this post
unfortunately not. The moderators disabled that function.

You're a bit in the same league as me beginner not knowing where to start. Note that posting your rig here helps and should get some responses. Another thing that might help is this tool I created http://bit.ly/1gmDQ3E which gets you started in collecting the the base materials that *should* be in the same range. You can also read my first post here. In the end though all advice is the same: use ecalc to check your final choices and post them here to get some opinions.

If I throw your frame in my tool:
-max props: 15"
-suggested motors (for 15" props): +/- 480 (380's are more efficient with 16" blades; on the other hand, my tool isn't really trustworty below 500KV so maybe im telling horsecrap.)
-Keep in mind that the max A of your esc has to be 12-15% higher then the max A from the motors
-and with a 300-500 motor you are indeed in the range of the 5-8S Lipo's.

Jpdeuce

Thanks wolph, I've had your spreadsheet open at the same time as I looked through motor options, it is (and continues to be) very helpful. With all the reading I've done in the last month, I can barely stumble through ecalc. The web development background side of me wants to get a front-end/usability guy/girl on that tool so bad.

I chose the motors above mainly because they are low current motors for what they purport to do and can handle 6s. I'm seeing though it might be tough to find EScs that can handle 6s in the 20A range, as many 6s ESCs are expecting to need to be >30A. Haven't started looking for those yet. Supposedly the 5010s don't do well with simonK, but not sure if that hasn't been fixed yet.

Thanks again for the reply.