Flying Saucer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensid54

I started out my Multi rotor experience with a DJI450 kit with a Naza light controller and a Fat Shark FPV system that has been upgraded to what it is today. My next step was to upgrade to a DJI550 using my electronics from the 450. Problem with that is the Naza light does not like hex copters very well because I found the controls weren't as good plus it would wander instead of hold it's position where it was rock steady with the quad. So for this build I've gone back to the quad mainly due to the cost of a new controller which I don't want t purchase at this time. My flying saucer is using the quad as it's base flying machine, fat shark for the FPV, wood, styrofaom and aluminum screen for the body of the flying saucer. Here are pics of it's beginning.

Attachments

• Flying saucer number 1.jpg
    Flying saucer number 1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Flying saucer number 2.jpg
    Flying saucer number 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 213

bensid54

Now that I'm taking the steps to get my hex up and running I decided it's time to start making the saucer. The picture shows two pieces of Styrofoam glued together after is I will begin to shape them ten reinforce needed areas. Not much to post now but I have two months to complete both multi rotors.

Attachments

• oars and space ship 001.jpg
    oars and space ship 001.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 280

bensid54

OK the foam idea is out because I just don't have the skill to do it. So I'm building a light wooden frame that I will cover with black aluminum screen. It will have led lights around the perimeter and a Fat Shark system to help me pilot it. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• Flying Saucer May 12 2014 001.jpg
    Flying Saucer May 12 2014 001.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Flying Saucer May 12 2014 002.jpg
    Flying Saucer May 12 2014 002.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Flying Saucer May 12 2014 003.jpg
    Flying Saucer May 12 2014 003.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 348

yeehaanow

This is awesome. I've wanted to do something like this for a while.
Something that might help with the foam is to get a hot wire cutter. Maybe there's such a thing as a hot knife that you could cut it with?

bensid54

I will look at a hot wire down the road for my hex but right now I'm going to see how well this will do. Thanks for the compliments I will keep you posted.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I like the screen idea better. Air can pass through.
Solid styrofoam can't be good for your airflow on what looks to be a heavy aircraft.

You weren't planning to put the styrofoam under the props, were you?

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

I like the screen idea better. Air can pass through.
Solid styrofoam can't be good for your airflow on what looks to be a heavy aircraft.

You weren't planning to put the styrofoam under the props, were you?

No not under the props the only thing over and under the props will be screen. The foam will go in the centre to create the dome on top of the saucer, this is going to be an old school type saucer. I'll post some pictures by the weekend. I plan on doing a test flight before I enclose it in screen just to see how it will behave.

bensid54

The latest progress on the saucer here are the most recent pictures. The camera system still has to be installed, I plan on making the mounts and camera box out of balsa due to the fact it's strong and very light plus as it is the craft still seems light enough. Not sure about the dome I may make it out of balsa and cover it with screen, the led lights are installed and I will post a video of them working later. Instead of using the 450 Flame wheel as a base I may end up making a complete frame of plywood, balsa and screen if this saucer is not as good a flyer as I hope it will be.

The reason I think screen and wood frame would be better is because I think there would less chance for the wind tunnel effect that can result from using solid foam. With wind tunnel effect it would be much worse with foam due to the surface of the foam itself and I'm sure would cause problems with lift and operation.

Attachments

• Flying saucer May 15 2014 001.jpg
    Flying saucer May 15 2014 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Flying saucer May 15 2014 002.jpg
    Flying saucer May 15 2014 002.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 316

bensid54

Took it for a flight the other day. It hovered fine but at about two clicks above throttle centre on the transmitter and the accent was not very fast so weight is a consideration, I also think the led controller needs to be moved further from the controller. I'm going to reduce the wood weight and will take pics as I go along, if this one works out well I may go hex on the next one.

bensid54

Took the saucer frame I built and blew apart because I want to reduce the weight and put 10 inch props on to help with lift. I am reusing the parts that came off the quad arms and reduced to weight of those by about half by cutting excess material off. The rest will be made from balsa wood and gusseted in all the places that need extra strength. The reason I'm going with balsa wood is it's strong for it's light weight, I once built a hydroplane out of all balsa once and it was able to handle high speeds on water without a problem. Here are two pictures.

Attachments

• Flying saucer May 18 2014 001.jpg
    Flying saucer May 18 2014 001.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Flying saucer May 18 2014 002.jpg
    Flying saucer May 18 2014 002.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 259

bensid54

Some more work done on the frame. The frame I built before weighed in at 1104 grams as it looked in the previous post, the new frame weighs 874 grams as you see it in these pictures. I think with the bigger props it may give it the extra lift I need if it proves too heavy still then I will make my own frame out of foam with screen in key places for ventilation and reduce airflow resistance.

Attachments

• Flying Saucer May 21 2014 001.jpg
    Flying Saucer May 21 2014 001.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Flying Saucer May 21 2014 002.jpg
    Flying Saucer May 21 2014 002.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 340

bensid54

Time for plan "D" I've gone away from using the DJI frame and am in the process of building my own. It will appear to look like an old school flying saucer in the dark but the beauty of this will be the props will be protected on all sides so I can navigate in tight places without worrying about blade strikes. Next post will have pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.