Any comments on my build would be appreciated.

Radcolt

After reading several blogs, forums, and youtube videos over the past several months, I decided to scale back my project until I could become a good enough pilot to add a camera to my quad. I am doing this project with my son (9 years old). Hopefully this will be a hobby we can enjoy together.

This is my setup:

450mm DJI clone quad frame with integrated PCB (shipped)
NTM 2830S 800 KV 300W Short Shaft Motors (received)
Afro ESC 30A with SimonK Firmware (received)
10 x 4.5 SF Props 2 piece CW CCW (received)
4000 mah 3S 25-50 C Turnigy nanotech Lipo Pack (received)
HK KK2.1 FCB with 1.12S2 firmware (received)
KK2.1 add on voltage alarm (received)
Turnigy 9X Mode 2 9 Channel Transmitter (shipped)
Turnigy 9X LCD backlight (shipped)
FrSky DJT 2.4 Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/Telemetry module & V8FR-II Receiver (shipped)
JMT Carbon Fiber Aluminum Tall Skid Gear for DJI F450 (shipped)

I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for adding FPV to this quad in the future. I hope to become a good enough pilot where I don't need to switch my KK 2.1 board for something with GPS stability. I know I am going to crash it a lot at first, but hopefully I will improve enough to put a camera and video feed on it.

Thanks in advance.

Gambrinus

Have you thought about using a simulator? There are several decent ones out there and it will save you a lot more in repairs than the cost of the sim. I use the Phoenix but there are other good ones.

bensid54

You will find the quad is about the easiest flying RC out there. Now having said that if you can only fly in manual mode on the KK2.1 board then you will have to be on your toes because it will be moved by the wind, it won't slow itself down and will drift until it runs out of momentum. They behave much like a hovercraft only higher off the ground. Do you know how to set up the board? I don't. I do know that with my Naza controller GPS mode is the only way I fly because it helps in panic situations, just let go of the right stick and it stops.

Radcolt

I have actually decided to build two quadcopters. I am going to build a 330mm dji clone frame quad and put the KK2.1 board that I have on it. This will be more of an acrobatic quad and I pretty much am going to use the specs from the build listed on fpvcentral.net. This will be more of an advanced quad that I will fly after getting some experience. A guy over at garagepilots.com really convinced me into get the Naza M V2 especially if I am going to FPV in the future (I just ordered the DJI Naza M V2 from a seller on Amazon). I am going to put this FC on the 450mm dji clone I listed in the above post. He says that RTH feature and GPS for stability (like the panic situations you listed above) would keep me from getting fustrated and giving up the hobby. Plus, my son will be flying it also. I like your idea of a simulator to practice on first. It will get my 9 year old interested since it will be like a video game, LOL. I will check out the Phoenix. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator: