Anyone using the icharger 106b?

Just got mine. Looking to make sure I set up my first charge correctly.

Anyone using the 106b?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something kinda basic for balance charging... Can I charge with just the balance lead connected, or do I need to charge it with both the balance and main leads?

Sorry, it's not mentioned in the manual :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I have a 106b+. It is my understanding that one should charge through the main leads with the balance lead connected. It just makes sense, those balance lead wires are really thin, not really designed for handling the current involved with charging. The chaging cables are much heavier duty.

So if I have XT60 connectors, I guess I have to cut off the leads and solder one on? Or do I not mess with that and buy banana to xt60 leads?

jbrumberg

I have quite a few different kinds of LiPo and LiFe batteries each with different connectors so I bought a charging cable with different connectors so I could charge all my different batteries off my 106b+. I attached a picture. It is a scary "Cat o' Nine Tails" looking thing. Scares our St. Bernard every time that she sees it.

Ahahahaha! I bought one of those too, just doesn't have an xt 60 on it. It does have a deans connector attached to 14ga wire (seems kinda light)

Can I just replace the deans? Seems like a dumb question, but I'm worried that the wire gauge is too thin, but if it was fine for the deans...

I only plan on charging my 4s 5000 mah at 1C (5 amps) so it's not like I'm pumping a lot through the wires, just want to be certain.

jbrumberg

It figures. I think in that mess of wires there is a free + and - line that you can solder an XT60 connector on to.

I have a free set, but they definitely seem to light of a gauge.

I just lopped off the deans connector on one, and alligator clips on the i charger cables (that came with it) and everything seems to be beefy enough.

Got it. So I'll have the dedicated lead which would be the banana plugs to xt60 and the balance lead as well.

So the battery will have two connections to the charger?

Seems weird. Let me explain:

If specific cells need juice, that current would need to be delivered via the balance lead, no? Am I nuts?

jbrumberg

No it is too slow. I use the old backup/brake/running light wiring harness and lights from my my truck that I had laying around. This was the leftover harness from the part I had to replace after wifey backed my truck into a tree. I just time the lights and use my multimeter to check the battery voltage. It takes around 5 minutes to get the batteries down to storage charge levels. It sometimes pays to be a hoarder.

jbrumberg

I would be the laughingstock of MRF:dejection:, but I might be already, so I may have nothing to lose anyways :strawberry:. Here it is. It works. That's what counts.

I would be the laughingstock of MRF:dejection:, but I might be already, so I may have nothing to lose anyways :strawberry:. Here it is. It works. That's what counts.

function, not form, right? As long as it works.

Now, I know I read somewhere -- but refresh me:

1. do the lights stay on constantly, or do they blink?
2. How do you know the discharge rate is ok?

jbrumberg

1) They stay on constantly.
2) I really do not, but based on repeated multimeter readings that I was taking when I first started doing this it appeared to me that I was/am not pulling down the charge that rapidly. In my way of thinking I was basically draining down a pretty powerful flashlight. I read something somewhere that the light/heat/resistance generated is a slower process. I guess that I should figure it out.

There's a really cool thread on rcgroups on the topic but it's a touch over my head at the moment.