Looking for pros and cons for build. T960, T15 or K130 ???

Aviatorg3

I'm looking to build a large multirotor and trying to decide between the following.

Tarot T960, T15 or Foxtech Kraken K130.

Obviously the T960 is a hex and others are Octo.

Is more really better when deciding between 6 or 8 rotors?

I really like the design on the K130 but the overall diameter is HUGE!!!!

I might mount a DSLR, not sure yet. But all the above should handle that.

Some FPV flying.

I'm looking for some good pros and cons from this forum group to help me decide which way to go. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

chipwich

I think that class is basically considered professional aerial media platforms, usually setup as dual control with FPV used to position the MR and frame the shot, more than for recreational FPV flying. However, my next build will probably be an octo. Subbed.

jes1111

The Kraken has some design problems that seem to stick out:
- doesn't look feasible to leave the gimbal in place when folding the arms
- the arms are longer than the landing gear so you have to invert the whole thing to fold it
- the motor mounts look like they'd have trouble with large pancake-style motors
- the gimbal isolation is metal springs - really?
- 5 degree dihedral on the arms - why?

Overall it looks to me like the designer was simply told to make it look like a DJI 1000 - without regard to how well it all might work.

The Tarot frames have some history but they also look to me like they're designed as eye candy rather than with any real thought for performance.

YMMV - but at this weight class I'd choose something with a more "pro" pedigree.

Aviatorg3

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Some good points brought up.

I do like the design with Dihedral. I think the S1000 from DJI has the same but with 8 degrees. Not sure if there is much discussion on pros and cons to dihedral?

Good point with trying to fold arms. Kind of awkward to flip.

I believe the S1000 is approx $4,000 for the unit without a controller.

Thanks Jes1111. Do you recommend the S1000 then?

jes1111

I've never bought anything from DJI but you only have to look in the DJI forum here to see many tales of woe and frustration - but there's always other users who say they've never had a problem. Going the DJI route would save you a lot of time and hassle with a kit- or scratch-build, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

The dihedral arms are, IMO, a bit of a waste of time. The only possible advantage I've heard about is that the prop wash is directed away from the gimbal but I think that may be bogus since the column of accelerated air spreads out in a cone beneath the props so the gimbal is still gonna to catch it. The most frequently quoted advantage for dihedral - enhanced "natural" stability - is nonsensical: that's what your flight controller is for and it doesn't need any help ;)

Overall I think you need to start with a firm, reasoned decision on your camera - the price, complexity and danger with these machines ramp up exponentially with your payload weight. If you chose a smaller, lighter camera you could buy the camera with what you'd save on the MR and the gimbal.

Aviatorg3

I'm worried about some of the DJI flight controllers and fly aways? Just started researching the SuperX.

I already own a Canon EOS 70D that I was planning to use along with the occasional Go-Pro.

I don't mind building something from scratch.

Do you recommend any other brands?

coreyperez

I myself am 99% sold on the XA SuperX and probably going the way of the T15. I'm really only waiting to see if the T15 has any design issues that are highlighted after a little more field use, the XA SX I'm waiting to see if the newer updates order GPS points, etc. I'm not inn a huge hurry, and currently have a full F550 with Zenmuse for the Go Pro, of which I've only gotten the MR, I haven't even bolted the gimbal on due to a lagging problem with a (recently removed) Flytrex.

I appreciate all the other feedback, I had eliminated the S800 long ago fir to the "death flip" and the kraken was just a silly design. I agree with the "make it look like..." statement. On the idea of dihedral it is an inherent design feature of fixed wing aircraft to promote stabilization and truthfully (as a rotary wing pilot in the Army" I do believe that the design most likely adds to the (hovering) stability of the craft. without seeing wind tunnel testing, I'd also bet it could develop a "protective bubble" from gusts, etc allowing the gimbal to mostly work against only it's own weight (and supported weight). Once again, while hovering. Most aerodynamic forces don't really come into play until about 15 knots anyway.

Corey