Another noob.

richb77

Hello all!

Just a brief introduction to myself and what i am doing here.

I am looking to get into a little aerial photography (PaS) and some FPV Whilst also building my first multi rotor flying machine.

I have little experience with flying RC but quite lot with cars, tanks and boats.

I know its a steep learning curve with flying. Building is the easy part.

A design engineer by trade means i end up modifying/redesigning a lot of of the shelf parts...More for the fun than need some times.

I'm a Brit but living in Germany (Hessen).

I am sure i will be picking your brains for a little while and hopefully giving back as soon as possible.

jbrumberg

Welcome Richb77. "I know its a steep learning curve with flying. Building is the easy part." You are so correct. These multi-rotors take some time to learn to fly well, and a long time to fly really well as I am learning.

Get yourself a cheap, RTF "toy" grade quad and start practicing and keep on researching and keep practicing flying. These things are not as easy to fly as one would think. Start flying- you are learning basic Tx stick control and orientation with the "toy" grade quad(s) and having some fun in the process. Start researching out decent Tx's. Buy smart; buy once. The more channels and features you have to begin with in the beginning, the less channels and features you'll wish for and that you had a little farther down the "RC" path. Find a quad frame you like. There are a lot of guides on the internet from experienced builders that will give you a sense of direction as to frame assembly, have recommendations for components that match and basic set up instructions. The same applies to the FC. Start building as you are learning basic flying skills. Flying helped me understand building and building helped me better understand flying. Simpler is easier in the beginning. Buy extra props and some replacement parts too, because you will crash. It's far cheaper to crash, rebuild, repair, and replace the "toy" grades than the builds. I know this from experience. There are some decent, cheap, robust nano and micro sized quads that one can fly indoors. Mini's too, but they are a little big for indoors. One nice thing about a build is that components can be switched out and replaced/upgraded as ones needs and abilities change.

There is a lot to learn. There is so much information available it borders on sensory overload. Take it slow and ask ask questions and research.

This is a great site.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Welcome to the forums. A brit living in Germany- ex forces by any chance? Anyway, I digress, you should find all you need here. Don't be afraid to use the search tools or to ask away. Someone will always be here to help in what is always a friendly manner - or at least that has been my experience.