Should I be worried about my new DJI S800 EVO purchase?

Airhog

I haven't flown the S800 EVO yet. I've been studying and making some changes to the controls but she is ready to fly. I have been practicing on the Phantom 2 so just taking my time. I will post the pics and video of the craft soon.

Airhog

Latest update. I now own the phantom 2 and in the process of updating to the new H3-3D gimbal. I also bought the Phantom Vision Plus after watching it fly and saw the video output. I have flown my S800 EVO with success. My thoughts....I love the phantom, the ease of getting out and getting the shot is quite amazing! And with DJI new gimbals, I think it becomes an absolute gamer changer for me. Another great advantage is the flying time. The EVO is a monster and takes more thought out process how you like to proceed with your shot. Flight time is horrible, seems like get up and time to come back down. Not like the phantom, which flies and flies. Advantage is the video on my GH3 is killer on the EVO. So in a matter of 3 months, I have 3 drones and love them all. They all have their special purpose. Also, the Vision is killer now since you can capture 14MP RAW images, this is a big time game changer for me!

Here is my 2nd video I have made from my Phantom. https://vimeo.com/94472469

deluge2

Airhog, Very nice P2 video, thanks for sharing! What flight time are you getting with your EVO & with what battery configuration, capacity, & %energy consumed?

Steve

Airhog

Thank you kindly Steve. I can give some of my EVO data, however, I am really not an expert at all of this. I just like to put a battery on and fly, come home and recharge and go again. I think that is probably why I like the Phantom so much. Anyway, I get about 11 mins on my EVO with MaxAmps 10900 battery. When the battery gets down to about 22.5 volts, I bring her down. I don't know how to calculate how much energy consume?

Airhog, Very nice P2 video, thanks for sharing! What flight time are you getting with your EVO & with what battery configuration, capacity, & %energy consumed?

Steve

deluge2

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the same MA battery, but based on cost and old and new posts regarding quality and customer service issues, i'll probably look elsewhere.

As for calculating % energy consumption, it's like to old days and calculating mileage in a car. Fill the tank. Drive until near empty. Then look at how much gas you have to put back in to fill the tank. Divide that into the miles you drove for MPG.

For your 10,900 mAh battery, charge fully, fly, record flight time, then note the mAh total you have to put back into your battery to fully recharge it. Your charger should be able to show you that as a basic bit of information. A rough guide is to shoot for flight durations that don't use much more than about 80% of your battery capacity and shoot for landing with cell voltages of 3.7v (6 x 3.7 v = 22.2 v for the whole battery). Since voltage will be lower during flight, this corresponds to a slightly lower voltage than you're using now. Assuming your battery is in good condition and is capable of delivering 10,900 mAh, you might choose a flight duration that results in about 8,800 mAh to fully recharge your battery. You can use this info to estimate the mAh consumption per minute.

Note that to get energy, technically you have to multiply current by voltage, but voltage varies from 4.2 to approx 3.7 per cell, and the rate of decline in non-linear. So it's easier to just think in terms of total current...

Steve

Thank you kindly Steve. I can give some of my EVO data, however, I am really not an expert at all of this. I just like to put a battery on and fly, come home and recharge and go again. I think that is probably why I like the Phantom so much. Anyway, I get about 11 mins on my EVO with MaxAmps 10900 battery. When the battery gets down to about 22.5 volts, I bring her down. I don't know how to calculate how much energy consume?

Airhog

wow..Steve! Thank you for all the information! I am really excited about the future of drones! I believe that one day my EVO will be like a dinosaur...cameras are only going to get better and smaller. DJI Phantoms are making big headwinds there and eventually GH3 type of camera will be shrunk down to GoPro size. Actually it is pretty amazing what the GoPro and the Vision camera are capable of already and they will only get better and better. It's exciting to be in the field now!!

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the same MA battery, but based on cost and old and new posts regarding quality and customer service issues, i'll probably look elsewhere.

As for calculating % energy consumption, it's like to old days and calculating mileage in a car. Fill the tank. Drive until near empty. Then look at how much gas you have to put back in to fill the tank. Divide that into the miles you drove for MPG.

For your 10,900 mAh battery, charge fully, fly, record flight time, then note the mAh total you have to put back into your battery to fully recharge it. Your charger should be able to show you that as a basic bit of information. A rough guide is to shoot for flight durations that don't use much more than about 80% of your battery capacity and shoot for landing with cell voltages of 3.7v (6 x 3.7 v = 22.2 v for the whole battery). Since voltage will be lower during flight, this corresponds to a slightly lower voltage than you're using now. Assuming your battery is in good condition and is capable of delivering 10,900 mAh, you might choose a flight duration that results in about 8,800 mAh to fully recharge your battery. You can use this info to estimate the mAh consumption per minute.

Note that to get energy, technically you have to multiply current by voltage, but voltage varies from 4.2 to approx 3.7 per cell, and the rate of decline in non-linear. So it's easier to just think in terms of total current...

Steve